News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Shelman

Hazeltine National is back in business
« on: June 15, 2011, 02:41:08 PM »
I posted this on my blog (www.onlygolfmatters.com). There are photos there as well.

Hazeltine National Golf Club has been, in my opinion, the Minnesota golf course that I have associated the most with being both fair and challenging. There are few surprises when you tee it up in Chaska.

If you want to score well, you need to hit it straight and with an above average amount of length (depending on the tees one plays). Hitting it crooked off of the tee meant dealing with rough that is thick and often long. That, in turn, makes it difficult to get the ball on greens that are very well protected. Throw in several uphill approaches and there is a severe degree of difficulty in hitting the ball high enough to get it to stop on the greens.

While no course in Minnesota has hosted the number or variety of national championships as Hazeltine, there would always be rumbles and whispers from top players. They would quietly complain that the poa annua in the greens led to putting surfaces that were not as smooth or as true as they would like. There was certainly some truth to the comments as the greens would be a little bumpy at times. They weren’t horrible, but they weren’t quite as good as you might expect for a top 100 club that cares so much about the golf course.

Because of that, Hazeltine shut down last year right after July 4 and significant work was done. The club regrassed all of their greens and fairways along with the first eight feet of rough. In addition, the club tore down its old clubhouse and built a new, modern facility. Call it the beauty of hosting major championships. The project cost a total of $15 million and members were not hit with a special assessment. They had to continue to pay dues despite not being able to use the golf course, but they didn’t have to swallow a huge bill.

The course opened to member play last Tuesday (June 7). I was fortunate to see the changes on Monday morning. Here’s a look:

My overall thoughts: The biggest difference is in the greens. The reconstruction means that they are going to be firmer on a regular basis, they’re going to be smoother and they very well may be faster. What does that mean? I think it might mean that a challenging course might be even more challenging. I think it is going to be harder to fly the ball close to the hole and have it immediately stop. Getting it to stop out of the rough? That’s going to even tougher.

The good news is that if you can handle the speed of the greens, you might make more putts. Why? These things are super smooth. If you get it on line, it is going to stay there. That’s a good thing.  When I played Monday morning, the greens were quite speedy, among the fastest I have putted on this year.

In terms of greens, they didn’t seem all that different from before. A few greens that were expanded — No. 10, for example, has room for another pin in the back left. Thanks to technology, the previous contours were replicated.

About the clubhouse: It’s a huge upgrade over what they had previously. It is nice in a Hazeltine sort of way. I mean that in that it is classy and nice, but it isn’t over the top. It’s functionally nice. The locker room is nice and it is just steps from the putting green, golf shop and the first tee. There’s a cool three-season porch and bar area. There are a lot of cool photos and the like from past championships. In the basement, there’s a great indoor practice putting green and a Ping Performance Studio that has all kinds of high tech toys. Non-members can take lessons from Hazeltine professional Mike Barge in that area and get fitted for clubs there.

About the practice area: Hazeltine already had the best or one of the best practice facilities in the Twin Cities. That hasn’t changed. There are multiple target greens and a target fairway. The short game area is nice. A new practice green is the only thing that hasn’t opened as it was one of the last things to be seeded.

What does it all mean? I think this is a very nice upgrade to what was already a good golf course. I know there are people who think Hazeltine is boring, but there are a lot of good holes out there. It’s a very stern test of golf. And I like that it is a club about golf and about walking. There are certainly some social stuff there, but it isn’t a club that is all about that. It is much more about teeing it up, playing the ball down and playing by the rules.

Want more info: You can get membership info on their website. At a time when many, many private clubs are slashing initiation fees to secure new members, that isn’t the case at Hazeltine. They are doing a whole lot better than most clubs in town. It’s not surprising considering the product and the growth over the past 20 or so years in the southwest part of the metro.

PCCraig

Re: Hazeltine National is back in business
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 02:56:10 PM »
Jeff:

Saw this on your blog earlier today...thanks for the great write-up. The pictures posted show a course that hardly looks like it just reopened after being closed for a year for renovations. Did you notice any significant changes to the architecture at all? Or was it mostly just in redoing the playing surfaces?

They are only 5 years removed now from hosting their first Ryder Cup... 
H.P.S.

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 03:01:08 PM »
Pat,

There are a few expanded greens (10 seemed like the biggest change in that regard). There were also a couple of spots where trees were removed.

But for the most part, the golf course is the same.

One thing that has been discussed at least a little is building a new tee for 16 to the west of the 15th green (left of 15th green if you are playing 15). Some trees would have to be removed. The goal would be to get a tee in the 325 yard range that could make it a driveable par 4. Could be an interesting option for the Ryder Cup.

PCCraig

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 04:57:08 PM »
One thing that has been discussed at least a little is building a new tee for 16 to the west of the 15th green (left of 15th green if you are playing 15). Some trees would have to be removed. The goal would be to get a tee in the 325 yard range that could make it a driveable par 4. Could be an interesting option for the Ryder Cup.

Interesting indeed. That's a tough green to hold on a windy day with a wedge in hand, let alone a driver! The 16th was a par-3 when the course first opened right? And 17 was a par 4?

Hazeltine gets beat up on here, and while I'll be the front nine is just so-so, I think the back nine is a lot of fun and features some really good holes.
H.P.S.

Morgan Clawson

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 05:44:18 PM »
Hazeltine is cetainly a very good course and a great test, but it misses out on the charms required to set GCAers hearts a flutter...

Dan Kelly

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 06:11:59 PM »
Hazeltine is cetainly a very good course and a great test, but it misses out on the charms required to set GCAers hearts a flutter...

You sure it's their hearts that are fluttering?

I'm biased in Hazeltine's favor. It was the first really good course I ever played regularly. I have spent three long, wonderful weeks of my life there (US Open 1970, US Open 1991, PGA 2002). Every one of those weeks ended with my longing to return, to play the course. I really enjoy the *land* there -- the rolling countryside. It feels like home.

And I think it's a really, really good golf course -- even after Rees Jones got through with it. (I've said too many times to count that I preferred RTJ's original, wilder Hazeltine.)

And I think it's full of good holes, and not just on the back side. I think holes 3 through 8 are all really good golf holes.

Don't much care for 1, 9 or 18 (the Rees Jones holes), and I haven't played 16 (another Rees Jones hole) enough to know what I think. I do think it's a good hole for the pros.

Jeff's blog is http://onlygolfmatters.com. That could be Hazeltine's motto: Only Golf Matters.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 06:20:14 PM by Dan Kelly »
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 10:43:42 AM »
To me, the sad part about people hating on Hazeltine is that the club is really about what many people out here say they like.

There is very little cartball. There are lots of caddies. A good pace of play is demanded. With the changes, it will play firmer and faster. It's really all about the golf.

Mark Johnson

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 11:50:37 AM »
I am playing it next Tuesday... I'll give a full report.

Andy Ryall

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 01:15:03 PM »
Slightly OT - I mentioned this on Jeff's blog but I find it interesting for that the club now openly publishes its costs to join, where previously one had to contact the club for membership information.    Given the national and local climate of reduced/waived fees and rent-to-own structures, HNGC seems to be quietly announcing its financial strength to the golfing world.   

If I sign up for another two crowns, maybe I can convince my dentist to extend an invite... ;D

Mark Johnson

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 03:48:28 PM »

Mark Johnson

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 05:32:37 PM »
Played Hazeltine today.    Not a long post since I agree with everything Jeff said.

Course is in awesome shape.    Not we have had a ton of rain over the past few days so I didnt see it on a typical day.  However, the greens were much faster and smoother than expected and the fairways were perfect.   I hit all fairways but one today so I didnt see a ton of the rough but from what i did see it was nasty. (e.g. you could be standing 4 feet from your ball and take 5 minutes to find it).

I also felt the tee/fairways angles improved alot (this was an issue on a few doglegs on the front).  Also, love the expansion of the 6th (i think green).

And yes, the 16th hole is still by favorite hole in all of golf.  And not to brag, but i hit Driver/9 iron to 2 feet for my only birdie of the day.

Clubhouse was still new and shiny.   Some more space and understated, but clearly a golf first club

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back