News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sam Morrow

Hanover Golf Club, Wrightstown, NJ
« on: June 09, 2011, 01:20:56 AM »
Does anybody know anything about this course? I know it is Trent Jones and on their website they tout their 600something yard closing hole. I have found out that I have to play it in 2 weeks instead of seeing Twisted Dune or Morgan Hill, I would love any insight on the course, both good and bad.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 01:23:37 AM by Sam Morrow »

astavrides

Re: Hanover Golf Club, Wrightstown, NJ
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 05:06:36 AM »
played there once 2 or 3 years ago. not so much bad as utterly forgettable.  in the middle of nowhere.  lots of parallel holes separated by trees.  maintenance was typical muni.  there are 2 other no name architects of record.  not sure what the story is. 

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 06:37:58 AM »
If you like crabgrass fairways, you'll like Hanover:

http://www.golflink.com/golf-courses/course.aspx?course=739045
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 06:49:35 AM »
So, Sam...what they're saying is..."Man, we are so envious of you!!"
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Sam Morrow

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 10:37:08 AM »
I might fake getting sick, anybody wanna get drunk that day?

Eric Strulowitz

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 10:48:05 AM »

Sam, I have played the course several times,  its not all that bad.  Good basic golf, not tricked up at all.  You will have a good time, it is still golf, and I have played a lot worse.

It is in a very quiet area, there are some scenic holes, its just basic golf.

Hope you have a great day. 

Eric

Sam Morrow

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 10:55:33 AM »

Sam, I have played the course several times,  its not all that bad.  Good basic golf, not tricked up at all.  You will have a good time, it is still golf, and I have played a lot worse.

It is in a very quiet area, there are some scenic holes, its just basic golf.

Hope you have a great day. 

Eric

Thanks Eric, that made my day. When I see the list of courses I am passing up to play this one I need some cheering up.

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 12:05:34 PM »
If you like crabgrass fairways, you'll like Hanover:

http://www.golflink.com/golf-courses/course.aspx?course=739045

Steve, what are you doing?  Look at when the reviews were posted...mid/late summer 2010.  And you and I both know that it was an extremely difficult summer for golf courses.  I'm not swinging the bat for Hanover as much as I am saying, look at a more representative example.  It's in a really nice part of the state, many horse farms up that way, and, you're playing golf.  It could be a lot worse.  There are some different attractions in that area, different wineries and such, museums, you could also visit if time and inclination allows. 

It's analogous to someone saying every year in the stock market is like 2008. 

Sam Morrow, play it and form your own opinion. Twisted Dune, I haven't seen but would like to; everybody seems to like it, I just haven't made the time or choice to go there instead of, say, BHPines, Seaview, or Mccullough's.   Morgan Hill isn't my first choice for that area, it's not a good site for golf, and I am saying that within the context that I really like Kelly Blake Moran architecture, so he did a great job with a difficult site for golf.  I'm not going to lie and say I love it, just because it's Kelly; Dr. Bill and I played there maybe 5-6 years ago and enjoyed ourselves.  It was nice to play once, there is a great use of strategy within a difficult site.  I'd go back with friends, but wouldn't kick myself if I had to play somewhere else over it. 

"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

Sam Morrow

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 11:03:52 PM »
Thanks for all the help guys.

JeffTodd

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 05:51:36 PM »
I had seen references to Hanover and RTJ Sr before, but never on their site (until I just checked and saw it). Frankly, I didn't believe it when I read it previously, but I suppose now that they have it on their site it lends a little more weight to the claim.

I've played a fair number of RTJ designs and usually see similarities in bunkering, green design, proximity of water to greens, etc. I've never played a RTJ Sr course that didn't, at moments, look like another RTJ Sr course I had played before. If Hanover was, in fact, designed by RTJ Sr. then count it as the lone exception; it looks nothing like any of his other designs I've seen. While this could be interpreted as a good thing, in this case, it is not.

Their site does only claim that the back nine is RTJ's, and the back is different and slightly better than the front, but it is hardly a standout. And I suppose that #12 does have some of his hallmark qualities about it now that I think about it. Nevertheless, Hanover is a very basic golf course and not a particularly good one at that. There is essentially one true dogleg on the entire course, and the front nine spends much of its time marching back and forth in parallel fashion.

The positives would be the low to the ground greens, especially on the front nine. They're very simple, yet provide a better challenge than you would expect at first glance. There is some decent use of the landforms on the back nine where the property actually moves a bit (the front nine is very flat), but it’s mostly greens perched on top of hills; hardly anything noteworthy but compared to the front nine it’s a welcomed change.

That area of the state is a bit of a wasteland for golf. I once worked about 20 minutes from there and it was a halfway point for me and a playing partner to sneak in a few holes after work so I played it maybe a half dozen times. It was purely utilitarian golf.

I’ve never played Morgan Hill, but have played Twisted Dune. This is a major trade down in quality and architectural interest from TD. Even Rancocas, another RTJ design not so far from Hanover, would be a step up and that’s not to say that Rancocas is a particularly good golf course either. I can’t speak for Tom Doak but using his scale and criteria it would be hard to say that Hanover is better than a “2” on its best day.

I will play golf anywhere, and have played more dogtracks than most. I’m not one to slight golf courses for sport. But if this is part of a visit to the area you could do much, much better than Hanover. I would suggest seeing if your partners would reconsider. If that doesn’t happen and you play there, I would echo astavrides; it’s less how bad it is and more how forgettable.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back