News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Clayman

Re: The Golfitectural Apocalypse is nigh: Congo to stimp beyond 14?!
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2011, 10:00:06 PM »
Fazio altered at least 5 greens at WF.   They were not in keeping with the abundance of fun slopes that allow a creative to get the ball close from a less than ideal position. Gil Hanse is or has fixed a couple bringing back external influences within the green.   As for 14+ at Congo. Faster greens don't identify the better player. They identify the player that can start the putt on the correct line. Speed determination is lessened because all one has to do is start it rolling.   
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

jeffwarne

Re: The Golfitectural Apocalypse is nigh: Congo to stimp beyond 14?! New
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2011, 10:22:01 PM »
Mark - no logic in my post, just speed.  Rate me please.

Phil - yup, a terrific line by Jeff.  Funny, and it went by very quickly.

Oh, how I wish, if I could wish and make it so, which I can't I know, but if I could, and knew that I could, I would wish that someone, maybe Mr. Davis or maybe someone else, it doesn't really matter in a way, but I guess in another way it does matter, but in any event I would wish -- oh, sorry, I said that already -- that someone would set up a US Open course, or any course actually, as long as it was in the continental united states, such that the green speeds would not be like 12 or 13, or 14, but more like, no, exactly like 5 or 6 or 7, in that range, you know, because in a way I think, actually believe, though I may be wrong, that it is harder to putt today (as maybe it was back then too, I don't know) on slow greens or even more on slower greens than it is on fast ones.  Anyway, that was my point. Thank you for taking the time to read; hope it didn't take you too long to do so.  

Peter

a year ago in an event on Long Island I played greens the fastest I've ever played. Crazy fast-the ball kept rolling forever and those that know me know I play fast greens  regularly.
The greens were so flat they were incredibly BORING and 6 footers became like 3 footers as the greens were flat and perfect.
How is that a challenge???

Two days ago I played greens that were stimping a 5 or 6. Huge undulations, putts with 4-6 feet of break.
I struggled with every putt I didn't hit perfectly as uphillers were DISTINCTLY DIFFERENT than downhill putts, and greenreading was at a premium. Combined with rock hard, unirrigated fairways, it made for great golf and angles were paraamount  as the ball would run away from you at a bad angle due to THE SLOPE of the greens.
Therefore if you had a poor angle you had to hit a very creative shot by either substantially running it(as much as 50-60 yards), or nipping it onto the grenns which were moderately receptive from the proper angle.

Yesterday I played greens that were 12 or maybe 13-as fast as I've seen all year but with nessessarily benign pins on most holes.
I made every 4- 8 footer I had and a few others.
every time I shortsided myself I hit a high pitch which stopped near the flag.(mainly because I wasn't fighting slope because there can't be much-at least near the pin- with greens of that speed)
and mind you this was an excellent course in what would be considered "perfect" condition.
edit: the green were really in great condition and reasonably firm given the heat, and this should not be preceived as a knock on the super who evidently does a hell of a job-fairways were super tight.
I also happen to like this course so this may be a poor comparison.

tell me though, which is more challenging?
and more fun?
shouln't a putter backswing be longer than an inch?
and shouldn't a putt need to be hit solid to go the right distance?
on fast greens it hardly matters
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 10:31:37 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back