News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Alex Miller

Another ESPN link: Mike Davis chat
« on: June 04, 2011, 11:30:17 PM »
A rather GCA specific chat and worth the quick read.
http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/38731/usga-mike-davis

Dan Chapman

Re: Another ESPN link: Mike Davis chat
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 11:04:51 AM »
Enjoyed reading, thank you for posting.

JSlonis

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 01:05:26 PM »
14-14.5 on the stimp?

That's ridiculously fast for those greens. Heck, for any green. I can't really see that as a realistic pace.

jeffwarne

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 02:24:10 PM »
14-14.5 on the stimp?

That's ridiculously fast for those greens. Heck, for any green. I can't really see that as a realistic pace.

If we can't get the USGA to use common sense on green speeds, there's little hope for clubs wishing to adopt/embrace realistic speeds.
14.5? really?
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Adam Clayman

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 02:46:17 PM »
The game they are protecting is not the sport of golf. Its much more of a mind game. The bragging rights of insecure egos. The lessons golf teaches about ourselves are being crowded out by the allure for the almighty buck. Boo.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 11:48:51 PM »
14-14.5 on the stimp?

Jamie,

You may recall that I posted the Arthur Weber study that graphed green speeds (stimp) with degrees of slope.

I believe it indicated that at 14.5 with a slope of 1 degree a ball would not stop rolling, so I have my doubts about those speeds.

I'll dig out the study and post it in the next few days 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back