News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Jarvis

Coming from Australia, my father and I are traveling to the west coast of America in July, playing the four courses at Bandon Dunes, Pebble Beach and Cypress Point Club. The itinerary is as follows.

Thursday 14th July:   Fly into San Francisco
Friday 15th July:           Leisure day
Saturday 16th July:   Leisure day
Sunday 17th July:   Leisure day
Monday 18th July:   Fly to North Bend, arrive to Bandon Dunes at lunch time
Tuesday 19th July:   Golf at Pacific Dunes
Wednesday 20th July:   Golf at Bandon Trails
Thursday 21st July:   Golf at Bandon Dunes
Friday 22nd July:   Golf at Old Macdonald
Saturday 23rd July:   Fly to San Francisco
Sunday 24th July:   Golf at Pebble Beach
Monday 25th July:   Golf at Cypress Point Club
Tuesday 26th July:   Fly out of San Francisco

Friday 15th, Saturday 16th and Sunday 17th are days where golf is not booked and I'm hoping to fit in two games. I have contacted San Francisco Golf Club but yet to hear back after almost four weeks (I think I’m luck enough to play at Cypress and the golfing gods decided to leave it at that...), Olympic Club just three days ago (yet to hear back) and Pasatiempo yesterday. If I’m unable to get on to SFGC or the Olympic Club, I thought another option might be the Cal Club – it seems they have done a terrific restoration that is well worth seeing. If I can only fit in one game, does anyone have any advice on whether I should play Olympic, Pasatiempo or the Cal Club? I’m a huge fan of Mackenzie courses but would also love the experience of playing private Clubs such as Olympic and the Cal Club.
Twitter: @BennyJarvis
Instagram: @bennyj08

Pete_Pittock

The Meadow Club is another possibility. Might check with friends to see if you need to factor in any jet lag.

Dan King

As a Mackenzieite you really have no choice but to play Pasatiempo on this trip. You gotta go and you will love it. As much as I love San Francisco, Cal Club and Olympic, on a trip that includes Cypress you should also include Pasatiempo.

Cheers,
Dan King
Many good golfers consider the second nine holes at Pasatiempo the finest in existence. The short holes are specially good, and I think the sixteenth hole is the best two-shot hole I know. I certainly do not know of any hole which gives so great an advatantage for length and accuracy.
 --Alister MacKenzie

David_Elvins

Ben,

I would very very highly recommend playing Pasatiempo. 

Just a fantastic and interesting course. 
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Kevin Pallier

Ben,

I would very very highly recommend playing Pasatiempo. 

Just a fantastic and interesting course. 

+1

Andy Troeger

Pasatiempo is a great course and would be well worth seeing. Also, don't forget about Spyglass Hill as an option--I can't compare to Olympic, SFGC, or Cal Club having not played them, but it doesn't take a back-seat to many places. Granted--it will to most of the places already on your itinerary--you're playing 4 of my personal top 7 (CPC, Pebble, Trails, Pac Dunes)!

Bill_McBride

As a Mackenzieite you really have no choice but to play Pasatiempo on this trip. You gotta go and you will love it. As much as I love San Francisco, Cal Club and Olympic, on a trip that includes Cypress you should also include Pasatiempo.

Cheers,
Dan King
Many good golfers consider the second nine holes at Pasatiempo the finest in existence. The short holes are specially good, and I think the sixteenth hole is the best two-shot hole I know. I certainly do not know of any hole which gives so great an advatantage for length and accuracy.
 --Alister MacKenzie

Since I'm always yammering on that the back nine at Pasatiempo is my favorite nine in golf, does that mean I'm a good golfer?   ??? ;D

Ben, I suspect you've set the mark for best itinerary in recent times.  Adding Pasatiempo will only increase the pleasure. 

Ben Jarvis

Pete, Brian, Dan, David, Kevin, Andy and Bill,

I appreciate your feedback. It seems that Pasatiempo is a must so I'll do everything I can to get there.

While in Carmel, I've go an afternnoon and morning free. During these times, I'm going to try and walk Spyglass and hopefully Cypress again (not sure if that's pushing my luck). I'm still awaiting a response from SFGC and Olympic so I'm remaining optimistic of getting a game there.

Keith Doleshel

Play Pasatiempo, you will not be disappointed.  Spyglass is a good call since you'll be down Monterey way during your trip.  Recently played Olympic, it was in really good shape when I was there.  Good luck getting on SFGC, thats a pretty special place.  Have fun on your trip.

Mike Jansen

Somewhat along the lines of this topic (mainly an opportunity to gloat) I have lined up the most amazing 3 days of golf one can possibly play, coming up next week: Pebble, Spy, Cypress.  I've played all 3 before, Pebble and Spy back to back, but to finally play all 3 consecutively is simply tour style.  Can't wait!

Jay Flemma

Ben, I was just gonna say, with all those leisure days, add a round at Pasa...then drive through town and check out all the hippies:):)  They even play Janis Joplin in the Mexican Restaurants:)
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Carl Nichols

If possible, I would play Olympic and Cal Club on the same day. They're both really good in very different ways, and would provide an interesting compare and contrast. If you're really lucky, play Cal Club, then Olympic Lake, then the par 3 course at Olympic right before/during sunrise. It's really spectacular.

Tyler Kearns

Ben,

Of the other suggestions offered, I've played Meadow Club & Pasatiempo and would recommend the latter if forced to choose one.

TK

PCCraig

Ben,

The golf course recommendations above are all good, but I thought I would chime in with some really important information before your trip....where to eat :) ;)

I just made a trip to SF a few months ago, and if I were you I would have dinner one night at Frances in the mission district, brunch one morning at Mama's on Washington Hill, and ice cream at Humphrey Slocomb. (Plenty of information can be found on all via a quick google search). Many people rave about the SF's Chinatown and its food but I thought it was poor at best. I also visited a couple cool beer bars if that's something you're into.

As far as the super "touristy" stuff, I think Alcatraz is a very neat way to spend a couple hours and you get a great view of the city on the boat ride, and the town is great for renting bikes to ride across the Golden Gate Bridge and beyond (my wife and I rode to Muir Woods and back on road bikes and had a great time...but that's a long ride for most).

Enjoy and report back.
H.P.S.

Ben Jarvis

G'day guys,

I really appreciate all the advice. This is truly a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to visit some of the world's great golf courses with my father and all of your input really does help to make it a special trip. Coming from Australia, I won't have the opportunity to visit this part of the world too often and thus, want to ensure that I pick the best courses I can in a short period of time. I just wish a had an extra week so i could fit more in!

Scott Warren

I second Pat's recommendation to hire a bike and ride over the Golden Gate to Sausalito or Muir Woods. You can then ride back or get the ferry from Sausalito, which goes right past Alcatraz.

Have drinks one night at Top Of The Mark. The cocktails are good and the view is fantastic.

I only walked a bit of it, but I can't imagine a better way to end a day than playing the Cliffs course at Olympic. On a clear day, that would be heaven.

David_Elvins

Coming from Australia, I won't have the opportunity to visit this part of the world too often and thus, want to ensure that I pick the best courses I can in a short period of time. I just wish a had an extra week so i could fit more in!

I made my first "once in a lifetime" visit to California 3 years ago. 

And then my second this year.  and hopefully a third next year if the exchange rate keeps improving. 

With return plane flights for $1000 and a great exchange rate for Australians, it is a fantastic, cheap and easily accessible place to travel to (for now)
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

William_G

I would second all the votes for Pasatiempo, but add another not mentioned thus far...Monterey Peninsula Country Club, I prefer the Dunes course, but the newly renovated Ocean is popular!

Thanks
It's all about the golf!

Scott Warren

You mean the "Shore", William?

William_G

Yes Scott, thanks
It's all about the golf!

Ben Jarvis

OK everyone, Pasatiempo has been added to the itinerary, which now looks like this.

Thursday 14th July:       Fly into San Francisco
Friday 15th July:           Leisure day
Saturday 16th July:       Golf at Pasatiempo
Sunday 17th July:         Leisure day
Monday 18th July:        Fly to North Bend, arrive to Bandon Dunes at lunch time
Tuesday 19th July:        Golf at Pacific Dunes
Wednesday 20th July:   Golf at Bandon Trails
Thursday 21st July:      Golf at Bandon Dunes
Friday 22nd July:          Golf at Old Macdonald
Saturday 23rd July:      Fly to San Francisco
Sunday 24th July:        Golf at Pebble Beach
Monday 25th July:       Golf at Cypress Point Club
Tuesday 26th July:       Fly out of San Francisco

I'm going to leave the 14th to get over jet lag, the 15th for sightseeing and leave the 17th open for golf elsewhere (Olympic, SFGC or Cal Club if I'm lucky).

As i don't fly out of SF until 10pm on Tuesday 26th, I might try my luck at re-visiting Cypress for photo opportunities. I'm not going to play on the last day as I'd rather leave CPC as my lasting memory. 

Thanks to everyone that has given me some advice!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back