News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Robert "Cliff" Stanfield

Let the biding for 'The Confidential Guide to Golf Courses' by Tom Doak begin!

Its really a bid for Ben Cox!  

I have listed the book on Ebay for 10 days (the max).  My seller ID is cs3434.

I stipulated a local pickup (save some money from ebay's cut?) and whomever wins we can sort out shipping details to Tom Doak for personalization.  Thanks to Jim Colton and Tom Doak for helping tog et this signed and for the creation fo the charity

Check to see if this takes you to the linkhttp://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260793714285

Good Luck guys and let's spread the word for Ben Cox!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 08:42:08 PM by Robert "Cliff" Stanfield »

Dan Kelly

I believe this is the first time in recorded history that anyone has ever listened to one of my recommendations. All emoticons omitted.

Bid 'er up, boys!
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Robert "Cliff" Stanfield

Well I guess I started the bid out too high for the book?  I thought it was pretty fair for a 'mint' condition with dust jacket and a personalized signature from Tom Doak??

I want to clarify that the book will be personalized for the winning bidder by Tom Doak.

It will be done after the purcahse so that you can select how you want it done. 

If it doesnt get any bids by the end of the Ebay run.  I will attempt a different format to help raise the money for Ben.

Cliff

Mark Saltzman

Robert,

I think that you should change the listing so that it does not say local pickup only. I know you say you will arrange shipping details after the auction but I think many potential bidders will be turned off by the local pickup and never read that far.

Will MacEwen

Cliff - I wouldn't sweat it too much right now.  I have bought lots of things on ebay, but don't bid until the last minute.

The above point about shipping is a good one though.

Adrian_Stiff

If you relist def alter the shipping details. I think $250 is the number to start on. There are plenty of CG on www.abebooks.com
cheapest is $300. The market has slipped back for golf memoribillia, and valuable books like this have fallen a bit. But you never know you might get a late bid or two.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Robert "Cliff" Stanfield

OK.  I made the changes for the shipping to give people a fuzzier feeling that I will honestly mail the book to the bidder.  The reason we tried 'local pick-up' was due the fact that the book will be sent to Tom Doak with personalization instructions from the buyer.

I also dropped the price to $350.00 to get some people off the fence for Ben Cox.

Remember the funds go to him so ultimately I hope this doesnt turn into a blue light special KMART run with people thinking that the price will get dropped again - becuase it will not.

Thanks,

Cliff

Jud_T

Come on guys, pony up for a good cause.  I paid double that price for an unsigned copy in the go-go days...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Robert "Cliff" Stanfield

Hey guys we have our first bid!  Very exciting.  I guess dropping the price made somebody run into the backyard and dig up their tin can of benjamins!  Sure hope we can get a bidding war going for Ben.

Jim Colton

Cliff,

As an added incentive, I'll give the winning bidder a raffle ticket for every $50 above $350 that the book attracts towards the cause.

Jim

Bill Brightly

No self-respecting member of GCA.COM should be without this book...

Jason Walker

maybe because it's Friday evening and I've had a few drinks at the golf course, but I gin'ed up the bidding on this book.  Funny enough as I just bought a copy from eBay two weeks ago to replace a copy I sold a few months ago.  Weird how things work....I either up end with a better book or I get the price up.  :)

Bill Seitz

maybe because it's Friday evening and I've had a few drinks at the golf course, but I gin'ed up the bidding on this book.  Funny enough as I just bought a copy from eBay two weeks ago to replace a copy I sold a few months ago.  Weird how things work....I either up end with a better book or I get the price up.  :)

So you're the one who outbid me?!

Robert "Cliff" Stanfield

7 days left and looks like we have the bid cresting $500.00

Jason Walker

Bill-
I guess I was! 

Jim Colton

Bump...4 hours left on this item

Mike Sweeney

I have the Red Book version of The Confidential Guide, which  is an earlier version with no pictures and much plainer text.

It was signed by Tom Doak for my son, but he (my son, not Tom  ;) ) is not that interested in golf (vacation golfer only). I promised Tom that I would not sell the book but I am sure that he would be fine with me selling it for the Ben Cox outing.

If someone wants to match the $716 final bid on Ebay, please let Jim Colton or me know, send a PayPal or similar to Jim Colton @ jcolton31@gmail.com, and I will send it out Monday.

Cheers.

Jim Colton,

See my email.

Robert "Cliff" Stanfield

Thanks for all the interest.  I was out of town all last week and I didn’t get a chance to post about the auction.  The book sold for $716 dollars!  Thanks to Tom Doak for offering to personalize the book for the winning bidder!!!  I have contacted the buyer and we are organizing how to personalize the book over the next couple of days.

I did want to share how this event has energized my faith in humanity.  I encourage those of you that did not win the bid on the book to continue the good fight of raising funds for Ben Cox.  I wish I could name all of those that participated but I know anonymity is best.  For those of you that missed the opportunity don’t fret.  There is still a chance to contribute and I think Jim Colton has explained how on his thread in GCA.

The mountain of faith that I have learned about from the Cox Family by visiting their caring bridge blog has been inspirational.  

Jim - Thanks for challenging me to participate.

Thanks to all the GCAers that jumped into the middle of a good cause!  

Good luck on the golf marathon and I would love to see the raised total exceed all our wildest dreams.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 02:31:43 PM by Robert "Cliff" Stanfield »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back