News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Nelson

Power Play Golf--Best courses for this format.
« on: May 30, 2011, 11:45:16 AM »
This topic came up today on Morning Drive and I thought it would be interesting to hear ideas on both this format and best courses on which it could be played.  The commentators give TOC and Augusta.  Other courses? 
I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world.  This makes it hard to plan the day.  E. B. White

Jamie Van Gisbergen

Re: Power Play Golf--Best courses for this format.
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 02:28:33 PM »
The format is really cool, I'd like to put that into effect at the weekend league...however, I can see it being shot down real quick because it obviously favors the better players, at least in the TV format, but I like it.

As to courses, well, TOC and ANGC are great courses for any format...as is Pebble Beach. Old Macdonald would be a really cool course to see on a format like this.

I think this is just a cool format and could be played on pretty much any golf course.

Gary Slatter

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 03:26:04 PM »
a few years ago a small corporate outing booked PowerPlay golf for their event on the Torrance Course.  32 players. no problem right?

We were in the midst of a busy day at the club when "an official from PPG arrived to insure that we had the course set up properly".

My maintenance staff were not very happy when they found a)we had to remove our flags from the pins to put on new banners, and b)we had to put in another set of pins on each green.   And the other 90 players who were enjoying the Torrance did not enjoy trying to figure out why suddenly they had two pins on every hole.....

the nightmare had finally gone away, until this morning when I turned on the TV to find a group of people playing PPG at Celtic Manor!   At least it's easier to change cups there, with all their rain!

The only course I'd recommend playing the game - Burlington Springs in Ontario, they always have two pins for each green.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Doug Siebert

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 10:55:22 PM »
Never heard of this so I had to google it.  One thing I don't get, when do you have to declare your intention to go for the "hard" flag?  On the tee, after your tee shot, or at any time (such as if you accidentally knock it close to that flag)

Sounds interesting, but not really something that can coexist with regular golf so I can't see it catching on.  Even for outings that close the course to regular play, you'll have to educate all the participants.  Seems easier to just stick with a scramble...
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Jim Nelson

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 11:05:49 PM »
The golf channel was hyping this a lot this morning.  Best I could figure was that you had to declare you intention before teeing off on that hole.  You can only go for the black flag on 3 holes with an option on the 9th which is the only hole where you can lose points.  They use the Stableford scoring with double points on the black flag.  I could only watch about half of the program, but it was being touted as an alternative to the Skins telecasts.  Regarding courses, it would seem that those with superior nine and good risk/reward would be the most interesting.
I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world.  This makes it hard to plan the day.  E. B. White

Gary Slatter

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 11:36:18 PM »
Renegade Course in Scottsdale used to have two sets of pins, one tough and one easier.  Not sure if they still set the course up like that, the high handicaps went for the easy pin and the lower guys went for the black flags.  I went for whichever one was closer.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back