News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Charlie Visconsi

Re: Least Fun Courses You've Ever Played
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2011, 07:24:23 PM »
I second Bay Harbor too; Belvedere was much better the same day.  At least I played after 5 pm and only paid $99.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2011, 07:28:12 PM »
That is hilarious, the one course I was thinking of putting on here was the Weiskopf at PGA West.  First off they have six courses at PGA West so there is going to be a dull course compared to the others, but the Weiskopf is about the most boring course you could imagine.  The first three holes are somewhat good, than from 4-17 is will honestly put you to sleep.  I tell my friends all the time it is the only course I have played that you could fall asleep on. 

That's hilarious too, I was thinking how much I disliked the Nicklaus course at PGA West!

I really didn't care for the three or four giant mounds, very artificial, that had a shelf green cut into one side and an elevated tee cut into the other side.  I would play Black Mesa 10-0 over that desert course.

DBE

« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2011, 09:34:53 PM »
To Gary Slatter-I well could be playing the wrong game...

I'l give you my most fun 20 courses:

1. NGLA

2. CPC

3. TOC

4. Pine Valley

5. Crystal Downs

6. Merion

7  Sand Hills

8. Seminole

9. Somerset Hills

10. Camargo

11. Sunningdale Old

12. Garden City

13. San Francisco

14. Fisher Island

15. Pine Needles

16. Chechessee Creek

17. Chicago Golf

18. Teeth of the Dog

19. Royal County Down

20. Essex County

I wonder what tennis clubs are the most fun to play...

David_Elvins

« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2011, 09:38:24 PM »
I'm shocked the Ranch in San Jose hasn't been mentioned yet. I'd be curious of anyone who has ever played there would have a different course atop their list.

The Ranch is the only course that has made me want to give up the game of golf.  It almost entirely sapped the will to live out of me.

However, I still think it had elements of fun, just a different type of fun. 
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

David_Elvins

« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2011, 09:39:12 PM »
PGA West.

The Stadium Course?  I would rate that one of the funnest courses I have played. 
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

DBE

« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2011, 09:41:08 PM »
JM, if anything, I'd knock Valhalla up (towards more least fun) a few notches...have you played it?  It's not someplace I'd ever be excited to play...as the other 14 on my list are similar in my opinion.

Jason Walker

« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2011, 09:50:47 PM »
Golf Club of Georgia Creekside.  Love the club, llove being out there, like/love Lakeside, but pretty much from the first hole on Creekside there's not a shot I like.  The par 3 7th is a nice hole , and completely out of character from the rest of the course.   

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2011, 09:55:50 PM »
DaveE,

Why not a real name?  Tell us a bit bout yo self?  Who do you rate for or give us a link to your blog.

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2011, 10:07:27 PM »
DaveE,

I agree with John K...please tell us more about yourself.  You two list are a stop o.....I mean interesting. 

DBE

« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2011, 10:17:57 PM »
Name is David Eger. I was one of GCA's original members but chose to not participate for several years. I've been asked but have declined to rate for two golf publications. My reasons to list courses as least fun are subjective. My requirement for a fun course starts with wanting to play it again the next day.

Daryl David

« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2011, 10:23:51 PM »
Pretty good criteria,  Dave.  When I play a course for the first time, I always do that little assessment in my head as I leave the 18th.  How bad to I want to play this again?  Sometimes you just head to car and realize you don't care if you ever see the place again.  Sometimes you are fiddling with your calendar to see if you can squeeze another round in as soon as possible.  It surprises me how few courses fall in those two extreme categories.  Most are in middle. 

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2011, 10:32:26 PM »
Name is David Eger. I was one of GCA's original members but chose to not participate for several years. I've been asked but have declined to rate for two golf publications. My reasons to list courses as least fun are subjective. My requirement for a fun course starts with wanting to play it again the next day.

David Eger,

I apologize if I offended you. Your opinion is one who I respect.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #62 on: May 30, 2011, 10:34:50 PM »
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #63 on: May 30, 2011, 10:37:09 PM »
Golf Club of Georgia Creekside.  Love the club, llove being out there, like/love Lakeside, but pretty much from the first hole on Creekside there's not a shot I like.  The par 3 7th is a nice hole , and completely out of character from the rest of the course.   

:) ;D :)

Garland Bayley

« Reply #64 on: May 30, 2011, 10:39:38 PM »

As usual Barney, you've blown it again. Please extend to Dave your warmest regards, and get off your low horse.

Dave,

I assume you know who Barney is. You know the character that in the old days the regular members used to tell to go X himself.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

William_G

« Reply #65 on: May 30, 2011, 10:46:21 PM »
I don't think I've ever had a bad time on a golf course.

I'll second that!
It's all about the golf!

Mac Plumart

« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2011, 10:48:13 PM »
William, ever played Creekside at the GCofGA?   :D

Jason Walker

« Reply #67 on: May 30, 2011, 10:59:11 PM »
I do know that if I'm at GCOG Creekside I'm with friends, drinking, and gambling, so it's not an entirely miserable day.  :)

Mac Plumart

« Reply #68 on: May 30, 2011, 11:03:34 PM »
Jason...

I'm in a similar boat.  I play it with very, very good friends of mine A LOT!!  It is bitter sweet.  Bitter because of the golf course, sweet because of spending time with good friends.  Some of the best days of my life are showing up to the GCofGA and finding out we are playing Lakeside!   ;D  I love the 11th there.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #69 on: May 30, 2011, 11:07:32 PM »
DavidE,

I've always been puzzled by why the changes at Oak Hill were allowed to remain, especially since they were so devisive amongst the membership when they were implemented.

Perhaps, with all the turnover amongst memberships, the current membership is under the impression that those holes are original.

Where's the love for Mountain Ridge ?  ;D

Paul Jones

« Reply #70 on: May 30, 2011, 11:07:47 PM »
TPC of Louisiana - Driver, 4 Iron, Repeat.  Probably should have hit a 3 wood / Rescue instead of a 4 iron on some of the holes :-) and also played the lady tees.  Even Pete Dye said you can only do so much with a flat piece of land below sea level.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

JNC Lyon

« Reply #71 on: May 30, 2011, 11:21:31 PM »
DavidE,

I've always been puzzled by why the changes at Oak Hill were allowed to remain, especially since they were so devisive amongst the membership when they were implemented.

Perhaps, with all the turnover amongst memberships, the current membership is under the impression that those holes are original.

Where's the love for Mountain Ridge ?  ;D

Maybe some don't realize it, but most know those holes at 5, 6, 15, and 18 are not original.  That's why the board approved changes on 5, 6, and 15.  Of course, they brought back the architect who made the mistakes in the first place to make the changes, so the recent revisions didn't do a whole lot of good.  Of the unenjoyable holes at OHCC, those holes, especially 15, are the most unenjoyable.

DaveE,

Which underrated Ross course is more fun, Oak Hill's West Course (which played to a pretty tough par of 69 in the 1998 Amateur, no?) or Mountain Ridge?  Which do you prefer?
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #72 on: May 30, 2011, 11:31:25 PM »
Garland,

I don't make the rules at Bandon, nor is it my fault if you ignore them. Move on.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #73 on: May 30, 2011, 11:31:59 PM »
TPC of Louisiana - Driver, 4 Iron, Repeat.  Probably should have hit a 3 wood / Rescue instead of a 4 iron on some of the holes :-) and also played the lady tees.  Even Pete Dye said you can only do so much with a flat piece of land below sea level.

B.S., you played Sugar Creek with me. Or did my company make it better?

Martin Toal

« Reply #74 on: May 31, 2011, 06:34:25 AM »

TPC  Las Colinas (before the redo)>>Played the tournament 3 times, can remember about 5 holes.

I played it before the redo and can remember 2 holes - the 13th or 14th, par 4 downhill to the water, green on semi island, and 17th, par 3, much the same.

Neither were particularly good holes, imo.

The most memorable thing of all was the woman in the pro-shop saying "Gee, you sound just like David Feherty". Well, I am from Northern Ireland, but I would have sounded a lot more like Feherty if asked to describe how much I thought the green fee really should have been.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back