News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

DBE

Re: Least Fun Courses You've Ever Played
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2011, 11:02:48 PM »
1. Hazeltine National (Dave Hill was so right and any and all "improvements" haven't much helped)

2. Bellerive (Terrible in its original design and now really a bore)

3. Medinah #3 (ditto with Bellerive)

4. Atlanta Athletic Highlands (ditto with Bellerive & Medianah #3)

5. Sahalee (even a chain saw might not help this place)

6. Crooked Stick (has never looked completed (because it isn't)

7. RTJ (in Frank Hannigan's words: "Love the man, hate his work."

8. Pinehurst #7 (only reason to play is because of cheaper green fees than #2, 4 or 8)

9. Bay Hill (if AP didn't own it, bulldozers would have long ago cleared it)

10. Southern Hills (didn't the 2001 US Open show just how poorly designed several greens and holes are?)

11. Poppy Hills (toss up which is worse-playing here or going to the proctologist)

12. Congressional Blue (if it were anywhere besides D.C., just a big, tree infested bore...but, after 75 years they finally figured how to play #10)

13. Valhalla (US version of the Belfrey?)

14. Whistling Straits (at least the American Club is worth the $)

15. Oak Hill East (mystery why the membership puts up with the redesigned greens on #5, 6 & 15, not to mention the hideous !7th hole)

Sam Morrow

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2011, 11:14:58 PM »
Most of the courses in Houston.

JNC Lyon

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2011, 10:59:23 AM »
Dave E,

Oak Hill recently had 5, 6, and 15 rebuilt...by Fazio and Marzloff.  I guess they are an improvement, but one word from one of Geoff Shackelford's old posts about Fazio comes to mind: STERILE.  I guess I don't understand the problem you had with 17, which features a very cool double plateau green.  However, the bunkering there does stifle a lot of the second shot options.  Hope you got to play the West, it is loads more fun.

I liked a lot of the responses here, but I guess I am not surprised that has comparatively few responses with relation to the "most fun" thread.  Still, I think it is just as important to know which courses not to play as it is to know which courses to play.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

DBE

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2011, 11:08:59 AM »
I'm happy to hear that Oak Hill has redone the greens on #5, 6 & 15.  My issue with #17 is that it's a long par four that doglegs right with a fairway that slopes hard left.  I've played the West Course and it's a lot more fun.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2011, 12:48:14 PM »
Blue Heron at Heron Lakes in Portland. It seemed the only club I could not hit in the water was a wedge. By the time our little GCA group was finished we were discussing what it was to like to play golf in Florida. You know the state with the most Doak 0s by Jason's ratings.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2011, 01:47:32 PM »
The least enjoyable for me was The Resort at Squaw Creek. I never saw a walker and the golf carts travel over wooden slats allowing one to traverse the sodden terrain. The noise alone would drive one off the course. Rather like Spanish Bay of old, golf balls are swallowed up by Environmentally Sensitive Areas.

Bob

Dan King

« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2011, 01:54:02 PM »
Bob_Huntley writes:
The least enjoyable for me was The Resort at Squaw Creek.

Jeez, Bob did you really have to remind me about Squaw Creek? It's been many years and I think I had blotted it out of my head. Now it is right back there. We were foolish enough to try and walk it. I don't believe we ever finished. One of the back nine holes gets close enough to the club house that drinking the memory of the golf course seemed like a more palatable choice. If they ever want one of those worst golfer shows again Squaw Creek would be ideal. The ball count could keep a company afloat.

Cheers,
Dan King
I have begun to rate golf courses by the number of balls you need. For instance if a course is a one-ball course, assuming it has all the usual features, I think it's a great course. But a 12-ball course I think is rubbish. That's my basic critism of Jack Nicklaus courses. They are very much like the man himself, very serious and lacking in humor.
 --Peter Thomson

Steve Salmen

« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2011, 02:59:32 PM »
Other than some bad weather and poor skill,  I don't think I've ever had a bad time on a golf course.

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2011, 05:32:28 PM »
Probably Ocean Trails outside LA as it was transitioning over to Trump in 2004.  Miss the fairway by more than four or five yards and your ball is in the "environmentally sensitive area" - reload.  Factor in all the Trump work and it was not a blast.

That said, it was still fun in many respects.  We were playing golf after all.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2011, 05:37:40 PM »
Other than some bad weather and poor skill,  I don't think I've ever had a bad time on a golf course.

We were talking that a couple of days ago. 18 tees and 18 greens, how bad could it be?   ;D

Pat Burke

« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2011, 07:45:52 PM »
Back when I was still playing:
TPC Eagle Trace>>Just a miserable course, especially in March when the tournament was played
TPC  Las Colinas (before the redo)>>Played the tournament 3 times, can remember about 5 holes.
PGA West Weiskopf>> Played a Q School final there.  Needed adrenaline shots to not fall asleep.  Yaaawwwwnn
Some RTJ Golf Trail place in Alabama>>Played a Buy.com Tour Championship here, and can't even remember the name of the place!
English Turn>>Pound the crap out of a driver to a huge fairway.  Hoist something high in to a green.  Wonder who designed that?
TPC Starpass (Tucson)>>My first Tour event, and one of the 3 worst golf courses I have ever seen

Sam Morrow

« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2011, 11:17:13 PM »
Back when I was still playing:
TPC Eagle Trace>>Just a miserable course, especially in March when the tournament was played
TPC  Las Colinas (before the redo)>>Played the tournament 3 times, can remember about 5 holes.
PGA West Weiskopf>> Played a Q School final there.  Needed adrenaline shots to not fall asleep.  Yaaawwwwnn
Some RTJ Golf Trail place in Alabama>>Played a Buy.com Tour Championship here, and can't even remember the name of the place!
English Turn>>Pound the crap out of a driver to a huge fairway.  Hoist something high in to a green.  Wonder who designed that?
TPC Starpass (Tucson)>>My first Tour event, and one of the 3 worst golf courses I have ever seen

It's funny you mention English Turn, I can only remember a few holes.

Charlie Visconsi

« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2011, 11:51:36 PM »
Wolf Creek; left after 9 holes.  just awful to play.  no ideas on yardages; up / down cliffs; obviously carts only and cart paths only (in nevada)

Sam Morrow

« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2011, 11:55:48 PM »
Wolf Creek; left after 9 holes.  just awful to play.  no ideas on yardages; up / down cliffs; obviously carts only and cart paths only (in nevada)

Have you met Mr. Ward yet? ;D

Garland Bayley

« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2011, 12:51:24 AM »

Have you met Mr. Ward yet? ;D

Mr. Ward is no longer with us. He'll be a hard one to meet.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jim Nugent

« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2011, 01:33:19 AM »
Garland, what happened to Matt? 

Garland Bayley

« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2011, 01:40:54 AM »
Garland, what happened to Matt? 

Don't know. Only know he has been gone from the group for about a week I believe.

Tony Ristola

« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2011, 10:28:48 AM »
Sarfvik New. My memories are from about 20-years ago so they may have improved the place. If you missed the fairway you were playing from bedrock and trees. After seeing the Chinese course with rock aplenty I wondered how gofers would do there. The local rule sort of hinted at the answer.

Gary Slatter

« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2011, 03:37:59 PM »
1. Hazeltine National (Dave Hill was so right and any and all "improvements" haven't much helped)

8. Pinehurst #7 (only reason to play is because of cheaper green fees than #2, 4 or 8)

10. Southern Hills (didn't the 2001 US Open show just how poorly designed several greens and holes are?)

11. Poppy Hills (toss up which is worse-playing here or going to the proctologist)

12. Congressional Blue (if it were anywhere besides D.C., just a big, tree infested bore...but, after 75 years they finally figured how to play #10)

15. Oak Hill East (mystery why the membership puts up with the redesigned greens on #5, 6 & 15, not to mention the hideous !7th hole)

Dave - ever think you were playing the wrong game?  try tennis.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Bill Gayne

« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2011, 03:56:29 PM »
Strantz's Stonehouse course in Virginia in a  best ball format charity outing. Not an easy course under most any condition. It was a hot summer day and I found a dog in one of the bunkers that had gone to rigomortus. After about five and a half hours I escaped by claiming a family tragedy that I needed to return home for. I think the dog got the better end of the deal.

Tim Martin

« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2011, 04:02:28 PM »

Dave - ever think you were playing the wrong game?  try tennis.

Any courses you like? ;)

JMEvensky

« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2011, 04:14:07 PM »

If I've connected the dots correctly,want to re-think this one?

Also,nice playing.

Peter Ferlicca

« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2011, 04:20:43 PM »
That is hilarious, the one course I was thinking of putting on here was the Weiskopf at PGA West.  First off they have six courses at PGA West so there is going to be a dull course compared to the others, but the Weiskopf is about the most boring course you could imagine.  The first three holes are somewhat good, than from 4-17 is will honestly put you to sleep.  I tell my friends all the time it is the only course I have played that you could fall asleep on. 

Jim Tang

« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2011, 05:15:47 PM »
Bay Harbor, for me.  Way too many forced carries, an odd routing on land where a much better golf course could have been built.  I only played it once, roughly 6 years ago, but, I remember it being a huge disappointment and not a lot of fun to play.

Paul Carey

« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2011, 06:19:11 PM »
Of the supposed great courses it has to be Troon and Congressional.  Great test sfor the best players but all in all too hard and uninteresting.   Although imdo love the loop around the postage stamp.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back