News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

Re: Mac - How was Scotland????
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2011, 05:35:26 PM »
Educate me here...

How easy is it to travel from Scotland to England, Wales, Ireland, and N. Ireland?  Do you have to go through customs every time?  If you take a train over a boarder is it a pain?  Plane from London to N. Ireland...easy?

Continental has flights from Newark to Belfast. From there are ferries to Scotland.  I'd love to do that sometime!

Mac Plumart

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2011, 05:53:14 PM »
I'd love to do that sometime!

Bill, if you are interested I'll consult with you during the planning process and maybe we can pull something off.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Steve Salmen

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2011, 08:13:10 AM »
Mac,

I totally agree that the 16th at TOC is awesome.  Torn between 16 and 11 as my favorite hole.  Problem is that they move the see so far up it's just blast it over the PN and flip wedge up.  And I'm not a long hitter.

When I played Askernish, they stuck the flag in the front but it was really impossible to hit a shot up there.  I couldn't come close to holding a SW because it was downwind.  Also, though I tried several times, I could not play running shots up the hill, it was too steep. 

How windy was it when you were there?  It blew between 30-40 mph. I left driver in the bag and just punched 2 irons along the ground to keep the ball in play.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2011, 08:43:25 AM »
Steve...

You hit on a few things that I loved so much about Scotland.

16 on The Old Course.  Like you said, I would imagine on a non-windy day you could blast it right over the Principal's Nose.  Those bunkers were about 180 yards out there from the tees I played.  However with the wind in my face, I spanked a driver right down the middle (bad idea on this hole) and right into the bunkers.  Conversely on the 2nd hole, green 337 yards away, my drive was pin high but off to the right.  Obviously, this hole plays down wind.  Really neat stuff!!

16 at Askernish, I played it twice...once with modern clubs, once with hickories.  First time, with modern clubs I went up and over Old Tom's Pulpit but was a bit long.  2nd time, with hickories, I remember Ralph saying no one can hold the top shelf and that balls simply roll down the the lower tier.  So, I hit a niblick to the top shelf and it stuck!  Now that makes for an interesting putt!!!  FYI, wind the first day was 25 to 30 mph and a tad less the next day.

To me, this stuff is what makes for fun golf.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Niall C

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2011, 01:59:08 PM »

How windy was it when you were there?  It blew between 30-40 mph. I left driver in the bag and just punched 2 irons along the ground to keep the ball in play.

Well said that man ! Sometimes that's what golf is all about, just keeping the ball in play. 80 yard wide fairways indeed, shame on them.

Rant over.

Niall

Gary Slatter

« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2011, 03:13:53 PM »
Educate me here...

How easy is it to travel from Scotland to England, Wales, Ireland, and N. Ireland?  Do you have to go through customs every time?  If you take a train over a boarder is it a pain?  Plane from London to N. Ireland...easy?

Continental has flights from Newark to Belfast. From there are ferries to Scotland.  I'd love to do that sometime!

Belfast to DUNDEE is easy flight from Northern Ireland to St Andrews (30 minutes from StAndrews to checking in in Dundee).
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back