News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Travis Dewire

Re: Forgetting About Score
« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2011, 10:03:22 AM »
Steve, what state assoc do you play out of?

Steve Kline

« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2011, 10:11:21 AM »
I'm in Ohio.

Bruce Katona

« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2011, 10:23:20 AM »
I don't play enough to really care much about score.  The few times I can get out each year, I would prefer to enjoy playing. I'll hit lots of good shots (for me) and have one bad hole on each 9.

If one of my guests has to play a match, we play Skins....$0.25 per hole with carry-overs.   The most I can lose is about $ 5-10 (with all the side bets, junk, etc) usually less .   I would rather not play for money but some guests simply must gamble to "make the game interesting". 

Unless one someone has an awful day, about $2 or so changes hands at the end of the day.  Not even enough for a decent tip at the 19th hole.

Doug Siebert

« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2011, 01:28:54 AM »
Steve,

You say you play a lot of tournament golf, and I think that answers your question about why you can't imagine forgetting about score.  I don't think its because of how good you are.  I know a guy who played college golf and won some individual medalist honors so he's definitely a good player.  Seven or eight years ago he had back surgery and didn't touch a club for nine months.  Grabbed his clubs and without hitting a single practice ball proceeded to shoot a 69 from tees rated at 74.  He didn't know he shot that number, one of the guys he was playing with told him when they finished.

I do appreciate that you at least recognize that this is something YOU experience and don't assume that because you see it this way, that this is how everyone should see it.  I know I have been accused by one particular longtime GCA member of not being a real golfer because I play to maximize fun, rather than minimize score.  That's not to say I don't mostly try to shoot a low score, but if I see an opportunity to try a fun shot that I know is likely not my best play for getting the lowest score on a hole, I'll try it.  Sometimes I'll aim at a sucker pin I know is a sucker pin and I usually play away from, just because I want to test myself to hit the extraordinary shot it demands.  If I miss, who cares, now I have a fun recovery shot and I can try for the impossible up and down! :)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 01:31:00 AM by Doug Siebert »
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Michael Moore

« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2011, 08:50:43 AM »
As I played the back nine of the third round of the day

I think most people quit keeping score at this point.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2011, 09:07:54 PM »
It was funny that this thread came up right before my trip this weekend.  No doubt it certainly helps to erase score from your mind, or to somehow "lose yourself’ (but it’s rarely possible for me).  One of my all-time best rounds came in a shotgun start, where I teed off in the middle of the back 9 (#14).  As a result, I never had a concept of my usual "check points" (e.g. I want to get through holes 1-4 in +1 or better, or even the normal "front nine" checkpoint).  I really ended up lost in my round and forgetting about overall score.  When I added up the score, I was genuinely surprised to find I'd made my career low (74), even with two doubles thrown in.

Unfortunately, this weekend, I discovered that I am a complete mental midget when it comes to elite golf.  I played Kaluhyat on Saturday, which is a fairly stern test.  The pressure rose when I discovered the Director of Golf (Richard Todd – “RT”) was going to join us for several holes.

However, through the first 4 holes, I hadn't missed a green and was stroking it well with four easy pars.  On the 5th, I hit another green and drained a 15 foot curler to go to -1 under.  At this point, RT kept saying “wow, -1 under after 5!” and I kept begging him not to talk about it.  I’m normally an 8 or 9 handicap, so this was unusual, and there’s no way for me not to realize the score.    It became even more absurd on the next hole, a 510 yard Par 5, when I hit a 3 wood in to 15 feet and drained the Eagle Putt to get to -3 under.

At this point, I became far too aware of the difference between me & a truly elite golfer.  Three under through 6 would put an elite golfer in the comfort zone.  I had the complete opposite reaction.  I was so out of my comfort zone, I just dreaded the inevitable moment the other shoe would drop.  I thought of the old story of the golfer who walked off Pine Valley mid-round.

Normally, I’m not the type that obsesses over score, and rarely fill out a card until after the round.  I will get lost enjoying a new course or try “match play” type heroics if it’s a course I probably won’t play often (if ever again).  That’s an easy practice to maintain when I’m near or above my handicap.  But when I’m clearly exceeding my “normal” level of play, I really don’t know to avoid that knowledge, and the resultant pressure of “maintaining” usually breaks me down.  I envy people who can truly stay in the moment of each shot in complete disregard of the rest of the round.

However, when the pressure of “score killing” is removed from my mind (e.g. scrambles / match play tournaments), I typically elevate my game.  I suppose my recourse at this age is to avoid medal play at any cost, and focus on best ball / match play / scramble events (which may still be a satisfying golf life).

Ian_L

« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2011, 01:32:31 AM »
Well, what did you shoot Kevin??

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2011, 08:14:00 AM »
Well, what did you shoot Kevin??
Ended up with 37-43-80, and that was even with another birdie coming in (I told you, I'm a mental midget).  Kaluhyat can spring a double on you in a matter of seconds with some tight, encroaching native grass.  Plus, I have a pretty high "beta" in my game already.  In a best ball, I would have been a great partner.  In alternate shot, I'm a heart-attack waiting to happen.

Funny thing is - if you'd offered me an 80 at the beginning of the day, I would have been thrilled, especially the way I had been playing in the two weeks before. 

Ultimately, once I forget about the "score" and reflect on the "experience,"  I know I had a great time (which is the point of this thread, I guess).

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back