News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

From whence did they come,
« on: May 20, 2011, 06:11:48 PM »
MacKenzie's unique bunker style ?

They're probably amongst the most recognizable bunkers in GCA.

How did AM's bunker style evolve ?

How did it originalte and how did it evolve, if it ever evolved from inception.

Bill_McBride

Re: From whence did they come,
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 06:50:47 PM »
In one of his books he says he wanted to look at the sky and shape his bunkers to emulate the shape of the clouds.

His camouflage expertise also allowed him to position bunkers at varying distances from the player that appear to be the same distance away.  He did this by overlapping bunkers of similar shapes. 

#4 at Cypress Point is a great example.  From the tee all you see is a vast expanse of sand, but there are acres of open fairway out there.

I can't find a photo of #4, but here's Mike Miller's oil painting of the wonderfully overlapped bunkering at #13 that many believe is overkill.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 08:48:57 PM »
Hiya Mooch,

My first thought is you're asking a trick question, or which bunker style are you after? Alwoodley...or Meadow Club...or Cypress...or Oz (Royal Adelaide, Royal Melbourne et al) (as original)? My second thought is you're hiding the ball on us, and have some sort of point to make.

No matter, I'll take the bait. And so we go back, if not to the beginning, then to the beginning of his camo / engineering career. He learned a lot from the engineering end of things, specifically the Royal Engineers' construction methods of trenches.

Much of this learning amounted to the imitation of nature.

Sir! I refer you to "Golf Architecture," pp 48-50:

"Hummocks and hollows should be made of all sorts of different shapes and sizes, and should have a natural appearance, with plenty of slope at the bottom like large waves. Most of the hummocks and hollows should be made so smooth that the mowing machine can be used over them. The glorified mole-hills one sees on many courses should be avoided.

"Bunkers on an inland course should, as a rule, be made in the opposite way to what is customary. At the present time most bunkers have the hollows sanded and the banks turfed. It is suggested that you get a much more natural appearance if the hollows are partly turfed over and the hummocks sanded, as in the photographs in these pages. This has the following advantages: the appearance is much more like a seaside course; the sand being above the level of the ground, always remains dry. The contrast between white or yellow sand and the grass helps one to judge distances much more accurately, and enables the ball to be found more easily, and the great disadvantage and expense of scything the long grass on the hummocks to prevent lost balls is done away with.

"Ordinary bunkers are, as a rule, made in quite the wrong way. The face is usually too upright and the ball gets into an unplayable position under the face. The bottom of the bank of a bunker should have a considerable slope, so that a ball always rolls to the middle; the top of a bunker may, as it usually does in nature, be made to overhang a little so as to prevent a topped ball running through it.

"Experience gained in the imitation of natural slopes in bunker-making was ultimately responsible for saving tens of thousands of pounds in revetting material in the great war.

"Trenches with the side made like a bank of a stream with a considerable slope at the bottom remained standing without any revetting material."

Emphasis added.

In his lecture to the US Army on the construction of trenches, circa 1917, he goes into great detail on the proper construction of trenches. The accompanying illustrations bear striking resemblance to his bunker designs or at least writings on bunkers such as the excerpt above.

Yours in Mackenzietude,

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 08:05:58 AM »
Bill & Mark,

I know AM was a student of camoflage, but, don't see how that hobby entered into his individual bunker concepts and designs.

There is something very unique about his bunkers, they're quite distinctive.

But, I wonder how they would be perceived if they were in Iowa, Texas or inland Florida.

The look presented below is certainly unique and inspiring.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 04:09:34 PM »
Bill & Mark,

I know AM was a student of camoflage, but, don't see how that hobby entered into his individual bunker concepts and designs.

His bunker style was very effective at DISGUISING (camouflaging) the distance from individual bunkers to the target, and HIDING (camouflaging) the best line to the target.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 04:36:07 PM »
Bill,

Here is a pic of #4 from the tee:

Kalen Braley

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 04:38:33 PM »
And in typical McKenzie style, they seem to magically vanish when looking back down the fairway!! :)

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 09:04:52 PM »
Bill & Mark,

His bunker style was very effective at DISGUISING (camouflaging) the distance from individual bunkers to the target, and HIDING (camouflaging) the best line to the target.

Is that a desirable architectural goal ?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 12:21:01 AM »
Bill & Mark,

Is that a desirable architectural goal ?

Of course.  Deception is one of the greatest tools in the GCA's toolkit.
What are you drinking tonight?   You're off your game.  
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 05:07:13 PM by Bill_McBride »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 10:46:46 AM »
Bill,

I don't know that "hiding the best line to the target" is good architecture.

I've played more than a few holes where the golfer hits a blind shot, a shot along his intended line, only to discover that he's in a water hazard or OB

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011, 05:09:22 PM »
Bill,

I've played more than a few holes where the golfer hits a blind shot, a shot along his intended line, only to discover that he's in a water hazard or OB

I'm thinking more of the design where a misplaced tee shot is behind a bunker line that obscures the pin.  I'm with you on hiding a bunker or pond; that's not sporting.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2011, 06:56:55 PM »
Bill,

I'm thinking more of the design where a misplaced tee shot is behind a bunker line that obscures the pin. 

Bill, the first, 16th and 17th holes at NGLA are perfect examples of that.
Hit your tee shot to the ideal spot and you have an unobstructed view of what lies before you.
Hit it off line and various fetures obscure your intended line.

I'm with you on hiding a bunker or pond; that's not sporting.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back