News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Kelly

When I was at Barnbougle in March I was struck by what a bargain it was compared to the last time I was at Bandon so I decided to see if it would actually be cheaper for me to go from Los Angeles to Barnbougle in Australia's summer instead of Bandon in our summer.

Here is what I found when checking the costs of traveling and then staying and playing at each resort for three nights/three days with 2 rounds of golf each day. I'm calling the food and rental cars a wash:

Playing at Bandon in August, 2011
Golf - $225 per round with a replay rate of $110, after 36 holes golf is free for the rest of the day.
Lodging - $180 a night ($360/2 people) while sharing a Lily Pond room with another golfer.
Travel - $319 to fly from LAX to North Bend on United Airlines.

Total  = $1964, Golf ($1105) Lodging ($540) Airfare ($319)

Playing at Barnbougle in March 2011
Golf - $130 all day rate at both Barnbougle & Lost Farm
Lodging - $85 a night ($170/2 people) while sharing a twin room with another golfer.
Travel - Qantas has flights  to Melbourne from LAX right now for $1200.  $145 RT Melbourne to Launceston.

Total = $1990, Golf ($540) Lodging ($255) Airfare ($1345)

However with the current exchange rate, $1964 US is equal to $1841.55 AUS so going to Barnbougle is technically cheaper although obviously you have to consider travel time as well as the fact that flying to Tasmania from LA for the weekend is kind of idiotic even for me.  This does show that for people in Melbourne it is about 1/2 as much to do a Barnbougle weekend as it is for people in Los Angeles to do a Bandon weekend.

"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Bill Brightly

Re: Is a Bandon or Barnbougle trip cheaper for a Los Angeleno?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 04:44:54 PM »
Another factor is caddies. I love the caddie program at Bandon and would feel uncomfortable not taking one there, but if you are playing 36 a day, the cost can really add up, especially if you are there for 3 or 4 days.

At Barny Dunes and Lost Farm, you need to request a caddy and very few golfers use them, so you save so much money carrying or using a trolley. That savings alone pays for any difference in airfare, and the rooms are far less expensive.

They are different experiences, Barny Dunes and Lost Farm is far more about the golf and less about the amenities. This is by design, a model that they feel will work with Aussies. I think it would also work with a certain, yound=ger, less well-off segment of the American market.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 07:59:10 PM »
For me, the caddie is a true luxury...although I would like to take one as often as possible, my meager shepherding salary does not allow me that perquisite. When I played the original three at Bandon back in aught-five, I was envious of my partners and their jocks, loopers, caddies, but I couldn't swing it. I didn't even take one at SAO when I played the Old and the New back in the 1990s.  I did take one at Straits because it was mandatory. I love caddies.

Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Jim Tang

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 08:02:22 PM »
David -

Thanks for putting this comparison together.  I've looked into Barnbougle and I was struck by how inexpensive it is for the quality of golf you get.  I LOVE Bandon, having been there twice with a third trip in the works.  However, it is unfortunate how expensive a trip there is getting.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 08:12:29 PM »
Interesting thread David.

Have you thought of the weather comparisons as well ?

Bill Brightly

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 08:18:13 PM »
We had a very interesting discussion with Richard Sattler, owner of Barnbougle Dunes and Lost Farm at the GCA event. He said that there is not a strong tradition of caddies in Australia and he thinks the Aussies really wouldn't be keen to add $60 or so to the cost per round. In fact, their model is designed to be a little more spartan than Bandon, and I really liked it. Sure, I made a few bad reads...but when I went to Bandon I took a caddy for the first 7 rounds at about $90 a pop...and then I was tapped out and pulled the last two rounds.

I really don't like the single caddy approach at Bandon, I would prefer a double caddy. It keeps the cost down a little and I personally don't like the caddy "all over me" for an entire round. I really want to see him when I am at my ball and on the greens. I wonder how many others feel the same way.

Tim Martin

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 08:21:59 PM »
David-Great analysis but wondering if the flight time to Australia doesn`t put a damper on a trip of such short duration.

Tim Martin

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 08:29:54 PM »
We had a very interesting discussion with Richard Sattler, owner of Barnbougle Dunes and Lost Farm at the GCA event. He said that there is not a strong tradition of caddies in Australia and he thinks the Aussies really wouldn't be keen to add $60 or so to the cost per round. In fact, their model is designed to be a little more spartan than Bandon, and I really liked it. Sure, I made a few bad reads...but when I went to Bandon I took a caddy for the first 7 rounds at about $90 a pop...and then I was tapped out and pulled the last two rounds.

I really don't like the single caddy approach at Bandon, I would prefer a double caddy. It keeps the cost down a little and I personally don't like the caddy "all over me" for an entire round. I really want to see him when I am at my ball and on the greens. I wonder how many others feel the same way.

BB-I agree 100% on the double caddy being a better fit both money wise and service wise. I`m sure there will be a dissenting opinion as this issue has been debated ad nauseum.

Paul Jones

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 08:49:59 PM »
Caddies, it all boils down to taste and preference.  When I was at Bandon Dunes, I would use a caddie on the first loop, then rent a trolley for the second round.  I did that for each course.

My favorite is when the have both carts and caddies... I always tell the caddie to through my clubs on the cart and drive while I walk.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Carl Nichols

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 08:54:07 PM »
I assume that the Australia trip gets even relatively cheaper the longer you go, since the airfare gets spread out over more days....

jeffwarne

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 09:22:11 PM »
David-Great analysis but wondering if the flight time to Australia doesn`t put a damper on a trip of such short duration.

What's the cost of missing a day and a half of work on each end of a trip to Australia/Tasmania?
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

David Kelly

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2011, 09:48:38 PM »

What's the cost of missing a day and a half of work on each end of a trip to Australia/Tasmania?
Like I said, a weekend trip to Tasmania from LA is idiotic even for me. 

Having said that, the way it would work is that you would fly out on a Tuesday at midnight and arrive in AUS on Thursday morning and then fly from Melbourne to Tasmania that day. You would spend Thursday, Friday & Saturday nights at Barnbougle, play Sunday, fly from Launceston to Sydney on Sunday night and then on Monday morning fly from Sydney to LAX where you arrive a early Monday morning and drive straight to work.  Just clear youor schedule on Monday so that you have an easy day at work.  All told your 3 day golf weekend takes 5 days.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2011, 11:55:47 PM »
What about food - drink and the cost of transportation from the airport to the resort(s).  Seems like I payed $55 for a shuttle from Bandon to North Bend?

David Kelly

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2011, 01:46:57 AM »
What about food - drink and the cost of transportation from the airport to the resort(s).  Seems like I payed $55 for a shuttle from Bandon to North Bend?

Joel,

North Bend is a little closer to Bandon than Launceston is to Barnbougle. People were paying about $35 each way for a transport from Launceston to Barnbougle but I went with other guys and we rented a car both times I've been to Barnbougle.  Gas is obviously more in Tasmania and the trip is longer so Tasmania is probably a little more. However, I've vowed never to fly to North Bend ever again after a horrific flight once so going to Bandon I would fly to Portland or Eugene and drive in, which would cost more.

As for food, I've eaten on and off campus in Bandon and Barnbougle and while food is a little more in Tasmania (and everywhere in AUS) the exchange rate evens it out a little.

I don't think ground transportation and food is appreciably more in one place or the other.

DMoriarty

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2011, 02:43:59 AM »
Maybe crazy for a three day trip, but the relative savings would be greater for longer stays.  Each extra day (room and golf) at Bandon would cost $405 before caddy, while each extra day (room and golf) at Barnbougle would cost only $215, pre-exchange rate. 

Yet somehow I don't think my wife will believe me when I tell her that I need to fly to Australia for at least five days so I can save money on golf. 
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

David Kelly

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2011, 03:48:52 AM »
Maybe crazy for a three day trip, but the relative savings would be greater for longer stays.  Each extra day (room and golf) at Bandon would cost $405 before caddy, while each extra day (room and golf) at Barnbougle would cost only $215, pre-exchange rate. 

Yet somehow I don't think my wife will believe me when I tell her that I need to fly to Australia for at least five days so I can save money on golf. 

"Honey, I'm flying off to Tasmania to save money on golf."

"How are you going to do that?"

"Volume!"

jeffwarne

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2011, 02:43:35 PM »

"Volume!"

First, get permission for a week + at Bandon.
--------Then go to Australia/tasmania
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

William_G

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2011, 06:00:37 PM »

"Volume!"

First, get permission for a week + at Bandon.
--------Then go to Australia/tasmania

You are saving money and she get's to be without you longer, hilarious!
It's all about the golf!

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2011, 11:34:42 PM »
Nice work David to show that even with a totally f----ed dollar policy, there are great places in the world to go for top tier golf that are on balance with costs in the US.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2011, 10:10:13 AM »
Nice work David to show that even with a totally f----ed dollar policy, there are great places in the world to go for top tier golf that are on balance with costs in the US.

Don't you think it's more about the high cost of golf and lodging at Bandon?   

David_Tepper

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2011, 01:44:29 PM »
Does Barnbougle have or offer off-season rates? Remember, in August you are comparing summer (high-season) rates at Bandon with what may (or may not)  be off-season rates at Barnbougle. What is the weather like at Barnbougle June-July-August?   

David Kelly

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2011, 02:01:25 PM »
Does Barnbougle have or offer off-season rates? Remember, in August you are comparing summer (high-season) rates at Bandon with what may (or may not)  be off-season rates at Barnbougle. What is the weather like at Barnbougle June-July-August?   

No, I am comparing August in Bandon to March in Barnbougle.

David_Tepper

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2011, 02:25:16 PM »
David Kelley -

My mistake. Thanks for correcting my error.

DT

James Bennett

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2011, 06:46:02 AM »
What is the weather like at Barnbougle June-July-August?   

On average, I believe it is warmer, drier and less windy than Bandon in December, January and February.  But you wouldn't describe Barnbougle as warm, dry or windless.  However, I haven't been there then.
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back