News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JLahrman

Gentlemen,

The next outing of the Bay Area GCA Tour (BAGCAT) will be taking place at Monarch Bay on the morning of Sunday, June 26.

Photos of the course and discussion can be found here:
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,45658.0.html

This should create a nice compare-and-contrast element with respect to our previous outing at Metropolitan. http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,47871.msg1073915.html#msg1073915

There are still several weeks before the date, but I want to get the word out early so we can hopefully get a lot of participants.  As of right now it does not appear that there is any tournament or event at Monarch Bay on that day, so hopefully I can get a block of tee times.

Commitments (updated as participants post their status):

IN:
Joel Lahrman
David Tepper
Kyle Henderson
Ted Cahill
Bill Ward

PROBABLE:
Alex S

POSSIBLE:
Patrick Kiser
Mike Benham

I'll aim for tee times around 8:30.  This seems to be a good balance point between the whiners who don't want to get up early and the whiners who don't want to devote their entire day to a round of golf (count me in the second group).

Let's get those phones ringing!  If you are interested in playing, please post a reply on this thread.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 01:02:31 AM by JLahrman »

Mike Benham

Re: Bay Area GCA mini-event at Monarch Bay - June 26
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 04:37:17 PM »

Much like an NFL lineman with a balky knee, put me in the "possible" category (which in theory could be renamed "doubtful").
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Tim Leahy

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 05:47:09 PM »
Not a big fan of Monarch Bay, but if you ever have an outing at Lake Chabot, count me in. I might be able to make it to Chardonay from Sacto for a 9 am tee time if you do head that way. You might consider Hiddenbrooke or Mare Island for future outings also.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

John Keenan

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 07:14:16 PM »
Tim

Curious what is about Monarch Bay you do not like?

John
The things a man has heard and seen are threads of life, and if he pulls them carefully from the confused distaff of memory, any who will can weave them into whatever garments of belief please them best.

JLahrman

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 12:11:55 PM »
Mike is on the roster.

Tim, I am embarrassed to say that I have not played Lake Chabot...maybe we'll do one there.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 12:15:02 PM »
You're better off waiting to play Lake Chabot later in the summer anyways....

This time of year its likely still a drenched ball sucking bog.

Ted Cahill

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 01:53:33 PM »
Please count me in.
“Bandon Dunes is like Chamonix for skiers or the
North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is
where those who really care end up.”

Tim Leahy

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 04:35:37 PM »
Tim

Curious what is about Monarch Bay you do not like?

John

When I last played Monarch they were having lots of problems with getting grass to grow on the new holes and I didn't like the old pretty average muni holes that they tacked on to make 18.  It used to be run by American Golf and was not in very good condition and was  very crowded on weekends and just not worth the trip. I like Metro and have a great time at Lake Chabot with the elevated tees and mountain goat golf there.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

JLahrman

Re: Bay Area GCA mini-event at Monarch Bay - Sunday, June 26
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 05:02:23 PM »
Tim, not sure when you made your last visit to Monarch Bay but the turf seems to be just fine...

Kalen Braley

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 05:22:54 PM »
Tim, not sure when you made your last visit to Monarch Bay but the turf seems to be just fine...

Sounds like it been more than 10 years...

Time for a new opinion.

astavrides

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 07:42:39 PM »
still pretty wet in the winters, but should be fine turf otherwise.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2011, 08:11:43 PM »

No reason to go back. Still American Golf and still has those original garbage holes.

http://www.golflink.com/golf-courses/course.aspx?course=102345

But hey, that's just my opinion, enjoy your rounds there.
I would like to know what you think about the old holes and the course conditioning.

astavrides

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2011, 12:38:24 AM »

No reason to go back. Still American Golf and still has those original garbage holes.

http://www.golflink.com/golf-courses/course.aspx?course=102345

But hey, that's just my opinion, enjoy your rounds there.
I would like to know what you think about the old holes and the course conditioning.

Which are the original garbage holes?  1, 9-11 and 18?

John Keenan

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2011, 09:50:45 AM »
Thanks Tim

I played it with friends last summer and the grass was fine as I remember. It was crowded but most courses in Nor Cal are on nice weekends sadly. I assume the staff there were American Golf overall they were professional and friendly.

Overall I also prefer Metro to Monarch but playing along the bay is quite nice at Monarch. Lake Chabot is a bit of a tough walk and the Par 6 is interesting to say the least.

The course I enjoy in that general area is Tilden also a tough walk. Lots of good options in Alameda Country thankfully.

John
The things a man has heard and seen are threads of life, and if he pulls them carefully from the confused distaff of memory, any who will can weave them into whatever garments of belief please them best.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2011, 11:54:39 PM »
I met the great, Old Tom, Dan King and Sir Thomas Huckaby for a round there a number of GCA years ago. I splendid day was had on a ok to average course. It was much fun though.

JLahrman

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2011, 12:17:40 PM »
Bumping back up to the top...

astavrides

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2011, 02:12:49 PM »
I splendid day was had on a ok to average course. It was much fun though.

What's better-- ok or average?

Bill Ward

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2011, 05:24:40 PM »
Count me in. 

JLahrman

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2011, 06:18:31 PM »
Excellent, we are starting to fill group #2.  It would be inexcusable, repeat inexcusable, for us to not get eight golfers onto the course together.

JLahrman

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2011, 07:35:40 PM »
Bringing this back up after the long weekend!

JLahrman

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2011, 12:57:43 PM »
Team,

Any others interested in playing?  As of right now it looks like two tee times, which I will be making on Sunday morning.

I went out for a late afternoon round at Monarch yesterday.  The course was on the green and soft side, mostly owing to the rainy weekend that we've had.  With any luck it will dry out by the 26th.

astavrides

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2011, 10:05:53 PM »
Good time today.  Thanks Joel for organizing, and good to see everyone.  Not much wind, which was an enjoyable change for me compared to my previous rounds at Monarch Bay.  Thanks to the course for giving out the course history and info sheet.  Unfortunately, I managed to lose said info sheet before I got a chance to read it.  If someone is feeling especially motivated and wants to scan it and post it, I would sure appreciate it and others who didn't attend might be interested too.

JLahrman

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2011, 10:14:28 PM »
I'm sure I can scan the document and send it back out.

In the past, several posters have mentioned poor turf conditions at Monarch Bay.

Initially, the staff didn't account for the salty conditions.  However, the turf is in fine shape now.  It doesn't play quite as firm as it looks like it should, but the grass is all in good shape.

This was the first time I've played this course in the morning, and it was a very playable wind level.  I don't mind the heavier breezes, but nice to have a chance to post a decent score!

Beautiful morning and good company, we will do it again soon.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 02:04:40 PM by JLahrman »

astavrides

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2011, 10:27:16 PM »
I don't mind the heavier breezes, but nice to have a chance to post a decent score!

What did you shoot?  You sound like you might have something worth bragging about--or at least a good bit lower than your handicap.  You hit a bunch of scratch golfer looking shots with only a few foul balls--much improved from Bandon.

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2011, 02:07:28 AM »
What a perfect day weather wise.  Thanks for organizing Joel.  Good to see some of the usual suspects again.

I hadn't been to Monarch since my last visit about 1+ years ago in a 4-5 club wind.  It was insane that day.

Anyway, I agree conditions were better than I remember.  The course is a decent track.  I like the bunker shaping and style, but as was pointed out by Mike B. ... it looks like a few are being changed and it's taking away from being consistent.  I thought there were some fun holes I had forgotten about (e.g. 12th and 14th being the more memorable to me).  Good walking course and tight tee to green for a good rhythm. 

The greens are a little blah, but it wasn't windy ... different ballgame when the wind kicks up.

So a fun round and good company.
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back