News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ChipOat

I played Merion yesterday for the first time this year and I was stunned at how much firmer (and faster) the fairways are playing.  It reminds me of the sea-change at National in that regard about 10 years ago.

It's not fair to say that Merion has turned off the watering system (the grass is definitely green), but the fairways are actually producing 10-30 yards of roll for the first time in, at least, 60 years.  I always noted that the reason Merion played longer than its length is that there was little to no roll on the tee ball due to the soft, often wet, fairways.

The impact is threefold: First, there is no question the East Course is playing 100+ yards shorter.  With apologies to those who've never played Merion, the most noted difference is on 1, 2 (even getting roll on the up-slope), 4,5,7,8,10,11,12,14,15,16,17 (par 3) and 18.  Probably #6, as well if you drive it up the right side to catch the down-slope (which I didn't).  I've been playing very little and at least 10 of my tee shots ended up in places I haven't seen in over 25 years.  Second, the ball will roll out of the fairway and into the rough more easily (duh!).  Since the rough is truly "rough", one needs to be more thoughtful on the tee box, even if you're driving it well.  Third, the ground game can be quite useful on the approach although the greens will still accommodate the aerial game.  The ground game for the approach is especially important on #'s 5, 14 and 18 although a good wind player from the U.K could find the run-up shot useful on #'s 1,2,6,10,12?,15 and even the par 3 17th.

We're not talking today's NGLA or your normal Scottish links maintenance meld, but Merion's gotten a whole lot closer to what Hugh Wilson envisioned in the days of no watering system and the 1.62" ball.

It's pretty neat.  If they get the green firm enough such that the ground game becomes mandatory, now THAT would be really wonderful!  I hope they get there (and keep it that way).

P.S.  The green speeds were reduced such that all the holes were playable from anywhere on any green,  Still uber-challenging, to be sure, but not impossible.

Peter Pallotta

Thanks very much for that. Even on a site like this I rarely get to read about a course undergoing/in the midst of an evolution like this, especially from someone who really knows the course.
Peter

Brett_Morrissy

Quote:Second, the ball will roll out of the fairway and into the rough more easily (duh!).  Since the rough is truly "rough", one needs to be more thoughtful on the tee box, even if you're driving it well.

Thanks chipoat, I haven't been to Merion, can you give an indication of the widths of the FW's pls?
What was the rough previously like, has it been made more penal? And was it in play with the limited run on the FW?

This is a feature that was troublesome for tour players at Kingston Heath in recent years, if long hitters didn't manage their way around the FW, they would run into the tea tree.

At Merion is this an intended outcome to toughen the course ?
Does the rough have to be that tough?
@theflatsticker

Patrick_Mucci

Brett Morrissy,

I don't know the fairway widths, Chip can probably provide them, but, one thing I've noticed about Merion over the years is that the rough if very, very difficult, thus, there's always been a high premium on accuracy.

This spring has produced roughs that seem deeper, thicker and denser.
If that holds true at Merion, missing the fairways erodes the golfer's confidence rather quickly.

ChipOat,

Yesterday I played 9 holes on a course I've been playing for a long time.
I also noticed that the course seemed to have far more roll than in the past.
Could it be that the temperatures and rainfall this spring have caused clubs to reduce their irrigation, thus firming up fairways and greens and producing greater roll.

OR, is it an economic factor that's responsible ?

Jim Tang

Chip -

Thanks for the information and it's great a course which has historically played soft is in transition to firmer playing conditions.  I'm curious, what exactly is driving the change?

Matthew Mollica

I remember seeing a number of photos from a fellow GCAer's recent trip, and thinking that each fairway could be comfortably doubled in width. And that the course would be much improved. Many of those fairway bunkers seemed a dozen yards or more from the fairway, and sitting forlornly within swathes of lush rough. I've never played Merion, but I'm quite sure the course, particularly the greens, were not designed with that sort of maintenence in mind. A demand and reward for accuracy off the tee is one thing, but that's not the way to do it IMHO. The view from the tee on many photos made me feel sick.

MM
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Keith OHalloran

Matthew,
That in an interesting take. I am not sure that I am schooled enough to opine about what maintenance the greens were intended for, but I did get the opportunity to play Merion last Ocotber, and never thought it was too narrow. The course played fair, and I thought the length was complimented by the fairway width.
Please note, I did not play the back tees.

mike_malone

I think this is true most everywhere in Philly with the last week or two's weather.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 09:17:21 PM by mike_malone »
AKA Mayday

ChipOat

Brett Morrissy:

I don't know the exact width of the fairways other than to say that none of them seem "tight" to me in the landing area except for the shortest Par 4, so that's probably alright.  On the other hand, not a single fairway allows for any margin for error.  There are no pulls or pushes that end up in the fairway.  Also, there are no places where you can hit it so far off-line that you're actually better off.  Being in another fairway off the tee just gives you a good lie for an, otherwise, really nasty next shot.

About 10-12 years ago, the decision was made to maintain the East Course in "championship condition" at all times.  Prior to that, the course was quite member-friendly for normal weekend play and the rough was not such a challenge (although the fairway was still better).  Also, there was virtually no place on the course where you couldn't, at least, find your ball wherever it might be.  As you can imagine, "24/7 championship condition" = more difficult primary rough and further off-line than that often = lost ball in grass that approaches 2 feet in length.

The primary rough was, for reasons already discussed, somewhat less in play under soft fairway conditions although, since the fairways would never be considered "wide", a poor tee shot was still not in the proverbial short grass.  Now, a well struck tee shot that is not equally well-thought out may well run through the center of the fairway after 20-30 yards of previously unavailable roll.  The really bad "grunch" still requires a rather poor shot by any definition in order to swallow all those Pro V-1's.

The simplistic intended outcome is to keep the East Course in championship condition at all times.  The reasons for that are several and outside the subject of golf architecture with one exception.  That GCA-relevant reason is that experience has shown (the hard way) that converting a great golf course from  "normal" member-friendly to "once-in-a-decade" USGA standards in preparation for that USGA event just doesn't work very well.  Augusta National can do it because it's an annual exercise.  Otherwise, the only effective way to have a golf course ready for the occasional major championship is to keep it that way all the time.  There's more to it than just the length of the rough.  Mowing practices, green speeds, green complex maintenance meld, fairway width and positioning, etc. - no greens staff can alter their daily practices starting a year in advance according to an instruction manual and get the best results.

The club has other reasons for its decision regarding 24/7 championship condition and some of them are, shall we say, an ongoing topic of discussion by the membership.  While there are legitimate pluses and minuses either way, net-net, and largely for the GCA-relevant reason above (plus other considerations), I think it's the best way for Merion to go. 

Does the rough have to be that tough?  I don't think the really ultra-deep, look-for-five-minutes, lose-your-ball stuff is necessary for member play but, other than that, "championship condition" = more penal rough than is "normal".  So, yes, I guess it is a requirement.

Pat:

I don't know the answer to your question but I hope it doesn't have anything to do with $$$.  Otherwise, those clubs don't really "get it" and they'll revert back to lush & green as soon as they can afford it.

Jim Tang:

Why the change to "more firm and fast"?  I didn't get a chance to ask the Superintendent or the Green Committee Chair.  I surely hope it's 1) by design and 2) only the beginning.

Matthew Mollica:

You said in your post that you've never played Merion.  Therefore, I will ask you to enumerate exactly which holes you believe that, based solely on photographs, the fairways could be easily doubled in width (without altering the playing characteristics of the hole). Also, some of the views from the tee boxes "made you sick"????  Pretty strong stuff  - not to mention that you'd have a hard time getting a quorum on that one in the first place.  Please identify exactly which holes make you nauseous in that regard and why.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 09:42:25 PM by chipoat »

Patrick_Mucci

Chip,

I'd agree.

But, perhaps the source is almost irrelevant.

If the result is well received, prudent clubs would probably perpetuate the conditions.

And, that's good for everyone.

Matthew Mollica

Chip and others, yes my post is pretty strong. And, I've never played there. And the course in question has been a source of friction on this site so I posted what I did with some trepidation. So you may take my point of view with a grain of salt.

Yet I note you posted Chip -
I don't know the exact width of the fairways other than to say that none of them seem "tight" to me in the landing area except for the shortest Par 4, so that's probably alright.  On the other hand, not a single fairway allows for any margin for error.

I feel the above quote is a little ambiguous. They don't seem tight, yet they allow no margin for error. Not a single fairway allowing for any margin of error doesn't sound like the right way to set up a course.

As you can imagine, "24/7 championship condition" = more difficult primary rough and further off-line than that often = lost ball in grass that approaches 2 feet in length.

Why is it that Championship condition and long grass go hand in hand? Do they have to? I think not. Particularly with firm greens, interesting pins, and good green speeds. Especially at a place like Merion, which from what I read, possesses angled greens which clearly favor approach from particular fairway portions.

since the fairways would never be considered "wide", a poor tee shot was still not in the proverbial short grass.

If they can't be considered wide, does it not then seem reasonable that many could be doubled in width? Especially given that many fairway bunkers I recall seeing do not actually bear any direct relationship with the fairway?

I understand Merion (East) is a truly great course - I'm not questioning that at all. I'm posting on the sea of long grass and fairways which seem to be maintained narrower than is ideal.

I'll try to get the images and post them to further illustrate my point.

Matthew
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Matthew Mollica

Chip and others interested,

I’ve not got copies of all the pictures I’m referring to, but have been able to source some similar images from various online sites.
They’ll illustrate my point for the time being.

The initial image I’d like to discuss is one of the 2nd hole.

Why not maintain fairway cut extending slightly beyond the left edge of the left fairway trap?
Also - why not have the trunk of the tree on the left of the fairway within the fairway cut margin?

The next is the 10th.
Why not broaden the fairway cut, from just outside the left edge of the left fairway trap,
extending to just outside the right edge of the right fairway trap?

Correct me if I’m wrong (remember I’ve not been to Merion before). Is the 10th a short dog leg left which is driveable for some? With trouble for those who aim left and fall short? If so, does the area short left of the green need to be maintained as it is currently? Isn't the shot from there hard enough with a good lie anyway?

It seems from the pictures that the depth of rough, and fairway shaping strongly dictates a long iron to the corner,
and a wedge to the green, and nothing else. Could it not be maintained akin to practices at Royal Melbourne West #10?

Again, not having been to Merion, I accept I may be completely wrong.

I’m not sure what hole this is, but I feel the look of the fairway is very manufactured.
A relatively narrow and straight ribbon of fairway between two larger expanses of uniform lush rough.

At the very least, the fairway cut and transition to rough should be more natural and irregular, to my way of thinking anyway.
I also think the fairway should be wider. Excuse my ignorance, but appearances suggest the fairway could be near triple its width.
What harm would it cause?

I’m not interested in discussion of recent rains and rough growth. The cut lines are my concern.

I’m much more of a school of thought that would present a broader playing expanse, so as to ask the golfer on the tee where they think it is best to place a drive. As opposed to a proscriptive narrower fairway cut which tells golfers where they should and should not hit it.

Wider corridors also provide greater playability for a broader range of golfers. Mowing in such a way is unlikely to impact upon costs of course upkeep at Merion, at least to my reckoning, given that the rough looks cultivated and carefully managed in the images above.

Would rough of less depth and 'appetite' also afford players who have missed a fairway, to more seriously entertain thoughts of a brave and skilled recovery? As things seem, and certainly sounded (if my fellow GCAer and an online blogger or two are any indication), Merion’s rough provides a “hack it out sideways and try for the green on the shot after that” currently.

Am I getting it wrong?

There's also a great image of 16 which supports my view, if my memory serves me correctly.
I'll try to find it and post it.

In the meantine, I'll call upon Mr. Binette as a witness, posting in another thread about the course.

because of the severity of the hazards and the roughs, the fairways are hard to hit

it's not about choosing a line of play, but how patient or agressive you want to be, especially under pressure

Chip, I felt sick, as I felt there was a truly great course being smothered by rough.
It was a genuinely deep feeling, and the notion of our sandbelt courses being kept in such a way would horrify me.

MM
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 04:36:46 AM by Matthew Mollica »

Ronald Montesano

#10 is fine...I was there during the Walker in 2009 and if you take a run at the green from the tee, you get what you deserve. I like the rough before the non-greenside bunker, as it saves you from going in the bunker.

What hole is the third picture? Only the most famous Grand-Slam Winning green in history, of course!

Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Matthew Mollica

Tricks, you prefer the ball to be held up in the rough, rather than go into a fairway bunker?
Irrespctive of the course we're discussing, I can't say I'm of that mindset.

MM

David_Elvins

Matt M,

You make some good points.  IMo the fairways at Merion are narrower than optimum. Most of great strategic courses in the world have fairways wider than Merion.  

However, the fairways are not so narrow as to take away from Merion East being a great course.  

You will be pleased to also note that the trend on the course is to widen fairways.  The 2nd, 4th and 5th have all been recnetly widenned.  In the case of the 5th, the buffer between the fiarway and the bunkers and creek on the left have been removed, increasing the strategic architecture.  Hopefully holes like 10 and 11 follow, IMO.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Kyle Harris

In the case of the 5th, the buffer between the fiarway and the bunkers and creek on the left have been removed, increasing the strategic architecture.  Hopefully holes like 10 and 11 follow, IMO.

This increases the tactical demands on employing a certain strategy.

Sean Leary

The pics that Matthew M posted make the fairways look narrower than they are. They are narrow, and they look like they should be wider but those make it look like walking paths and they are not.

ChipOat

Matthew:

Most of the donnybrooks on GCA re: Merion are about bunkers or the true identity of the architect.  Congratulations on coming up with a completely new "bone to pick"  (if one is so inclined).

I'm not dodging you by not answering all your points directly as a large part of your critique is a "blond/brunette" or "vanilla/chocolate ice cream" thing.  You have an opinion and you're entitled to it although not having any experience re: the "playability" of Merion gives me pause.

However, I will offer up a few observations of my own that are partly opinion and partly based on my knowledge of Merion's playing characteristics.

1) If the fairways aren't unfairly narrow, what is the harm in requiring "precision driving" in order to have a good lie from the most strategically advantageous place from which to play one's next shot?  Just my opinion, of course.

2) "Championship condition" requires severe rough to challenge today's average touring pro - even Augusta National came to that conclusion.  That still qualifies as an "opinion" although it would appear I could get a near-unanimous vote on it.

3) The hole you didn't recognize is a relatively short Par 4 to a rather small green surrounded on 3 sides by water.  To remove the challenging lies found in the rough would make an off-line tee shot much less relevant and it would significantly reduce the degree of difficulty of the resulting approach.  I can't comment on the "manufactured look" of the fairway other than to say that Merion is a parkland course - it is not a links nor is it built on sandy soil a la Pine Valley or the great Sand Belt courses in Australia.  I'm not sure how else a parkland course is "supposed" to look.

4) With a few exceptions, Merion's greens aren't really that angled - especially for the long hitter.

5)  While it would require a rather detailed explanation of the fifth hole to make the point, that is the only hole at Merion that, I believe, would be "better" if the fairway were significantly widened (to the right).  In either case, I have never found any of the 14 fairways difficult to hit if you aim and execute properly (which I often do not).  
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 10:37:44 AM by chipoat »

Michael Burrows

I interned there in 2003 and believe that was the first year Matt Shaffer started dryjecting the fairways with sand. That was a hard week as we dryjected all the tees, fairways and greens in a couple of days. He also talked about how he wanted to take a hwy asphalt roller and roll the fairways to firm them up after the process. He was reluctant to try it because the edge on an asphalt roller drum wasn't rounded like those found on greens roller. So he was afraid it might damage the turf. I'm not sure if he ever tried it or not but I'm glad to see the work over all those years is paying off.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 03:54:05 PM by Michael Burrows »

Mike Cirba

I'd love to see them widen Merion's fairways in a number of areas, which I think would help in the "Strategy" area in a related thread by Ryan Potts, and I do think some surprises may be forthcoming on a few holes for the US Open in that regard.

However, with a few exceptions, I'd agree with Chip that they aren't that tough to hit...just tough to get into an advantageous position as doing that usually means challenging the side with the most daunting penalty for a slight miss.

The 7th is a good example.   There is plenty of room to lay back with an iron, but to have a really good look/angle for the second shot it's best to be as close to OB and the property line on the right as possible.   The further one shies away to the left the more oblique the carry angle of the approach, and the more abrupt the carry.

So it goes...

Patrick_Mucci

Matt Mollica,

I have seen pre and post Open fairways and the current fairways could be widened to their earlier, pre-Open widths.

I've always advocated for horizontal elasticity in the fairways.

Unfortunately, there's been a trend over the last 40 or so years, to retain narrower fairways rather than to return the fairways to their pre-Open widths.

As defending "par" has become more and more difficult, due to the equipment, length and narrowness have become the defense of choice.  "narrowness" is also inexpensive in terms of creating and perpetuating.

Golfers have a Lemming like quality.
Irrespective of their ability, they want to play the same course the best golfers in the world play during Majors, hence, this "Red Badge of Courage" manifests itself, at the club level, by retaining elements of Open/PGA conditions/setup.
Typically, there's  a faction within the club that wants to retain OPEN/PGA conditions/setup.
My take is that it's to impress the guests, showing them how hard their course is.
I thnk it's foolish.
In the ultimate, a course is there to present a challenge that's enjoyable, not a challenge that's far beyond the members' abilities.

And that's the heart and soul of the conflict

Dan Herrmann

Let me use #4 as a great hole that's improved by a narrow fairway - especially on the approach shot.  If you're offline in the rough, you have a VERY difficult approach shot to a really tough green.    Having a nice, wide fairway down before the creek would allow the skilled golfer to put spin on the ball which would, I think, cheapen the shot value.

David_Elvins

Dan, the 4th fairway, short of the creek, has been widened by 10 yards or so.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

John Gosselin

I played Merion yesterday for the first time this year and I was stunned at how much firmer (and faster) the fairways are playing.  It reminds me of the sea-change at National in that regard about 10 years ago.

It's not fair to say that Merion has turned off the watering system (the grass is definitely green), but the fairways are actually producing 10-30 yards of roll for the first time in, at least, 60 years.  I always noted that the reason Merion played longer than its length is that there was little to no roll on the tee ball due to the soft, often wet, fairways.

The impact is threefold: First, there is no question the East Course is playing 100+ yards shorter.  With apologies to those who've never played Merion, the most noted difference is on 1, 2 (even getting roll on the up-slope), 4,5,7,8,10,11,12,14,15,16,17 (par 3) and 18.  Probably #6, as well if you drive it up the right side to catch the down-slope (which I didn't).  I've been playing very little and at least 10 of my tee shots ended up in places I haven't seen in over 25 years.  Second, the ball will roll out of the fairway and into the rough more easily (duh!).  Since the rough is truly "rough", one needs to be more thoughtful on the tee box, even if you're driving it well.  Third, the ground game can be quite useful on the approach although the greens will still accommodate the aerial game.  The ground game for the approach is especially important on #'s 5, 14 and 18 although a good wind player from the U.K could find the run-up shot useful on #'s 1,2,6,10,12?,15 and even the par 3 17th.

We're not talking today's NGLA or your normal Scottish links maintenance meld, but Merion's gotten a whole lot closer to what Hugh Wilson envisioned in the days of no watering system and the 1.62" ball.

It's pretty neat.  If they get the green firm enough such that the ground game becomes mandatory, now THAT would be really wonderful!  I hope they get there (and keep it that way).

P.S.  The green speeds were reduced such that all the holes were playable from anywhere on any green,  Still uber-challenging, to be sure, but not impossible.

[/quoteEvery course in the Philly area was firm and fast last week. It's funny how no rain and low humidity will do that.

More roll than in the 60 years!!!! Have you played Merion on a regular basis for the last 60 years? I have played it on a regular basis for about the last 27 years and also worked there for a period of time. Just like every other course in the region the "firm and fast"  comes and goes with the weather.
]
Great golf course architects, like great poets, are born, note made.
Meditations of a Peripatetic Golfer 1922

Matthew Mollica

Chip, Pat & others - thanks for the replies. I appreciate your points of view and your comments on the course.

MM

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back