News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Craig Van Egmond

WAY OT - IN-N-OUT GOES EAST!!
« on: May 13, 2011, 08:43:52 AM »

To Texas!!  Wahoo!! 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/12/in-n-out-burger-north-texas-expansion_n_861172.html

Apparently there was a line for 2 miles!!!

John Sabino

Re: WAY OT - IN-N-OUT GOES EAST!!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 08:52:02 AM »
Craig - very good news indeed. Not at all OT, In-N-Out is always an integral part of my golfing experience when in California
Author: How to Play the World's Most Exclusive Golf Clubs and Golf's Iron Horse - The Astonishing, Record-Breaking Life of Ralph Kennedy

http://www.top100golf.blogspot.com/

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 08:57:23 AM »
Exactly!!  Tommy N. turned me on to them back in the day.

Then it was in Las Vegas and Arizona...  I never thought they would push this far east.

PCCraig

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 09:14:24 AM »
In-N-Out is a very good burger, but it's hardly the best in the world as many in CA would like you to think. Heck, I think Five Guys is just as good, not to mention 100's of other spots accross the midwest. Paradise Pup in Des Plaines, IL is as good of a char-burger you'll find anywhere, and I'd take that over In-N-Out anyday.
H.P.S.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 09:26:30 AM »
Revelation 20:7-8

...whoops, also Rev 20:10
In-N-Out is a very good burger, but it's hardly the best in the world as many in CA would like you to think. Heck, I think Five Guys is just as good,

Dean DiBerardino

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 09:36:56 AM »
I lived in Scottsdale this past winter and tried In-N-Out for the first time. It was good but doesn't come close to Five Guys for my tastes.

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 09:53:31 AM »

So is this an East coast (five guys) versus West coast (In-N-Out) thing?

You guys got to understand that North Texas is kind of a wasteland.....  :)

Kalen Braley

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 10:29:23 AM »
Add me to the list of those who don't get the IN-N-OUT phenomenon. I've tried it several times when living in cali and at best it was only a small step above McDs or BK.

Utah has a 5 guys and I was a "one and done"

For an actual good burger, Red Robin is the spot for me.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 10:30:31 AM »
I was playing the Old American on Monday so I stayed at the Embassy Suites in Frisco, right down the road from the hotel was one of the In-N-Outs, I had it once in Vegas so I went and took a picture of it and walked around looking at it. It's wonderful that you could hit it and Whataburger in the same day. ;)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 10:31:31 AM »
How 'bout those Char-burgers at the Dairy Queen?

Eric Smith

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 10:35:32 AM »
How 'bout a nice greasy pork sandwich served in a dirty ashtray?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 10:35:43 AM »
The fast food burger champ is Wendys in my opinion.

Lots of selection, premium burgers along with inexpensive items.  Always good, usually very fresh, actually use real tomatoes and whole pieces of lettuce, and rarely greasy.

BDuryee

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2011, 10:40:45 AM »
How 'bout a nice greasy pork sandwich served in a dirty ashtray?

Screw you chet!

Bill Seitz

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2011, 10:54:57 AM »
In-N-Out is a very good burger, but it's hardly the best in the world as many in CA would like you to think. Heck, I think Five Guys is just as good, not to mention 100's of other spots accross the midwest. Paradise Pup in Des Plaines, IL is as good of a char-burger you'll find anywhere, and I'd take that over In-N-Out anyday.

You're on drugs.  Five Guys is good.  In-N-Out is in a class by itself in terms of large chain fast-food burgers.  If they opened an In-N-Out across the street from the Five Guys on Clybourn, Five Guys would last about as long as the establishment next door that has now been five different bars in the last eight years.  

As for Paradise Pup, I'm sure it's great, but t's not really fair to compare the chains to mom-n-pop burger stands.  In-N-Out has the reputation it does because it has combined the consistency of McDonalds with the quality of mom-n-pop.  DMK Burger Bar may make a better burger than In-N-Out (though I'm not convinced), but they're not really in the same class of establishment.  

« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 10:59:00 AM by Bill Seitz »

Sam Morrow

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2011, 10:59:41 AM »
Five Guys is good but expensive.

Alex Miller

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2011, 11:38:02 AM »
Five Guys is good but expensive.

Exactly. The prices are nearly double of In-n-Out's.

I had the quintessential California experience yesterday. After my last midterm I drove down to Coronado, got out for twilight. Finished 18 with the sun in the sky and stopped by In-n-Out on the way home for some dinner. 2 delicious burgers for $4.02. For the money it cannot be beat. As for taste, they opened a Five Guys across the street from my place recently, and while it was fresh and good, I have no idea why anyone would pick it over In-n-Out. I'm cali through and through!

Carl Nichols

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2011, 11:57:36 AM »
Perhaps the quality and taste of In-N-Out varies by location, but the last two times I was in California, I wasn't very impressed. (One time in Lawndale, can't remember where the other was.) 

I much prefer Five Guys, and not because it started here. 

Dave Falkner

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2011, 12:08:38 PM »
Um  Texas aint east

Bill Seitz

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2011, 12:11:29 PM »
Um  Texas aint east

It's all relative.  When you grow up in California, Denver is the Midwest, and everything east of the Mississippi river is the East Coast.   :)

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2011, 12:19:10 PM »
Its east of California last I checked....  and right too.. ;)

Dave Falkner

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2011, 12:26:22 PM »
Its east of California last I checked....  and right too.. ;)

that just depends on which way you go  hop in a boat first and its west!   the right Ill give ya

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2011, 12:31:17 PM »
Bill,

We are used to that type of geography preference on this site.  It works in reverse for golf architecture though.  Anything east of Philly is a wasteland until you get to California according to many on here.

Greg Clark

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2011, 12:35:48 PM »
The one that opened in Frisco is about 5 minutes from my house.  Anxious to try it out in a few weeks, when I don't have to wait so long.  For fast food burgers, we have Whataburger here in Texas, and it is a damn fine fast food burger.

Sam,

What did you think of Old American.  I have played it 3 times (the last two weeks ago).  While it is still rough around the edges, I like it quite a bit.  Thoughts?

PCCraig

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2011, 12:40:46 PM »

You're on drugs.  

That's ironic coming from a guy from L.A. ;) :)  ;D

You're right in that it's impossible to compare a single location burger place with a chain. Quite frankly on the whole "chain" burgers are never as good as a quality local burger. To heck with consistency! :)

By the way...I have been out of Chicago for too long now... probably the best burgers in Chicago are at Kuma's Korner. If you can put up with the long lines and heavy metal music you get a hell of a beer list and amazing and unique burgers (my favorite is the Thin Lizzy: Open faced burger with mashed potatos and gravy on top).

Also, for the record, the best hot dog in the city is at Hot Dougs.

It's obviously lunchtime and I haven't eaten yet... :)
H.P.S.

Matthew Rose

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2011, 12:58:08 PM »
I'm absolutely a Five Guys enthusiast.

Never had an In-N-Out.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back