News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Zack Molnar

Newport, RI Golf courses
« on: May 11, 2011, 10:36:17 PM »
I am heading up to a wedding in Newport, RI in the middle of June for a wedding and I was seeing if anyone had any suggestions. Obviously Newport CC is the ultimate goal, but I was seeing if anyone had any other (read: more attainable) options. I have heard good things from people about Newport National. Thoughts?

John Foley

Re: Newport, RI Golf courses
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 08:42:18 AM »
Zach - I am a huge fan of Newport National - if you do a search you should find lots of details.
Integrity in the moment of choice

PCCraig

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 08:58:04 AM »
Zach:

Newport National is pretty good, not great, good. There isn't a whole lot else in the area that's public and notable from the few weekends I spent down there. My advice? If you can't get on Newport CC, leave your sticks at home and go have fun and meet a nice girl.  8)
H.P.S.

Jud_T

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 09:02:34 AM »
My advice is to strap your clubs to your back and swim to Fishers Island... ;)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 09:07:55 AM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tim Martin

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 09:05:31 AM »
There is a current thread on Wanumetonomy which is a Raynor in the bordering town of Middletown. If you can gain access you won`t be disappointed.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 09:37:30 AM »
I wouldn't bring my clubs...
Newport the town is better than playing golf.
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

George Pazin

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 09:43:32 AM »
I have a summer cottage there called Marble House, you're welcome to tour it.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 11:34:35 AM »
Play Newport National...It is as good as any public course in New England...

Travis Dewire

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 12:13:57 PM »
newport national is awesome, great few of the sakonnet channel, great conidion too

faxon design also - close to his home in Barrington, RI - grew up playing RICC host of this years US Women's Am

Tom ORourke

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 12:28:29 PM »
Wow. Some love for an Arthur Hills course? Well, maybe not love, but at least not hate. Am I on the right site?

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 12:42:29 PM »
My understanding is that Drew Rogers did most of the design work at NN under the Hills banner...

Travis...Faxon was to build a second course with Brad Booth of Maine.  The first was to be private and the Faxon course public.  As it turned out the private course went bankrupt and hence is now public and the Faxon course never built.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 12:45:44 PM by Cliff Hamm »

Travis Dewire

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2011, 03:34:41 PM »
Doesn't Newport National get credited with Booth/Faxon ?? Arthur Hills I see his name thrown on it too. My understanding was they were trying to go private to attract newport and middletown players, but that I dont think will be happening. There were also plans to build a second course, The Orchards. I am not sure on the status of this design, but believe the club already owns the land for it.

Cliff,
Interesting about the Maine course. I think I found it listed on some infromation about Brad I found. Too bad about the faxon course, oh well. How is the booth course? I really like the work he did at national, so I suspect the course in Welles to be very good as well.

Tom,
If I had my way, I wouldn't play a course built after 1950. But I don't, and Newport National is one fun, fun, course, you will never ever get tired of playing. I hope it stays put, it will be an exceptional place 30 years from now

Tom ORourke

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2011, 03:54:13 PM »
I was supposed to play Newport National a few years ago and something came up, but it looked great in the pictures I saw and I was at least able to walk a few holes and it looked pretty neat. I hope to get back.

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2011, 04:00:33 PM »
Travis...Newport National, the Orchard Course, was built as a private course designed by the Arthur Hills group.  The scorecard gives credit to both Hills and Drew Rogers.  Rogers has since gone out on his own and gives himself the design credit which I suspect is true.

There was supposed to be a second course, to be public, built.  I believe it was to be called the Vineyards.  Design was to be by Faxon and Booth.  In the meantime the Orchards Course went bankrupt and became public.  I believe that housing has been built where the Vineyards course would have been and it will never be built.

The Ledges in York, Maine, designed by Booth, is a very, very good golf course. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back