News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Butler

2 days in Westchester County
« on: May 10, 2011, 09:32:11 PM »
My wife has asked me to accompany her to a conference being held at the Hilton Hotel in Ryebrook NY May 18-20.

Given the fact she'll be busy 9-5, it does provides me with a rare sans-kids opportunity to get out on the links for a couple of days during the week... If I was to either play a public course (or have my club write a letter for access) in the area what would you suggest? I'd be willing to drive approx 20 miles from Rye brook.

Already Played: WFW, Westchester County, Greenwich, Stanwich, Quaker Ridge, Bonnie Briar and the immortal Saxon Woods, 
Next!

David Kelly

Re: 2 days in Westchester County
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 09:40:25 PM »
I would recommend Fenway GC, an interesting Tillinghast layout that had an impressive restoration by Gil Hanse.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 09:56:24 PM »
Private

1. Sleepy Hollow

2. Tamarack (technically in CT, but very very close to Rye Brook)
3. Whippoorwill

Public

1. Pound Ridge if you have never played a Pete Dye
2. Sterling Farms - CT so you can see where Doak got his inspiration (not a serious suggestion, but you should get on)
3. Split Rock in The Bronx

Anthony Butler

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 01:07:39 AM »
Private

1. Sleepy Hollow

2. Tamarack (technically in CT, but very very close to Rye Brook)
3. Whippoorwill

Public

1. Pound Ridge if you have never played a Pete Dye
2. Sterling Farms - CT so you can see where Doak got his inspiration (not a serious suggestion, but you should get on)
3. Split Rock in The Bronx

Thanks Mike, I have played at Sterling a number of times. They used to have the Stamford Amateur Championship there... not a bad layout for 18 holes shoehorned onto 90 acres on the side of hill. I'm trying to think of what else Tom D. might find inspiring about Sterling Farms and I'm struggling right now. ???
Next!

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 06:03:18 AM »
Tom grew up in Stamford and has often commented favorably on the pricing structure relative to the layout of Sterling. As I said, I was not serious but I am sure that Tom figured out pretty early at Sterling that seaside cliffs are a better place to build a course.

Also within your 20 mile boundary but across the Tappan Zee Bridge is the more Orrin Smith than Donald Ross inspired and public River Vale CC. Very under rated, and while conditioning can be an issue, this time of the season is pretty safe.

Tim Martin

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 07:19:39 AM »
There is a bounty of privates in the 20 mile radius you are looking for. If you can get access The Apawamis Club is an 1890`s Ross with plenty of cool features and quite a storied history. The Blind Brook Club in Purchase is a Mac/Raynor and very close to where you will be staying.

Lenny Polakoff

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 11:24:13 AM »
Anthony,

Come out and see Paramount formally Dellwood CC.  Jim Urbina is in the middle of a major rennovation of this Tilley gem.  Just over the Tapan Zee about a half hour- 40 mintues from Ryebrook.

Invite from myself and/or Steve Lapper is open for any of those days.  If you enjoy the course (which you will) we only ask you spread the word!

Let us know,
Lenny

Anthony Butler

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 04:21:13 PM »
Anthony,

Come out and see Paramount formally Dellwood CC.  Jim Urbina is in the middle of a major rennovation of this Tilley gem.  Just over the Tapan Zee about a half hour- 40 mintues from Ryebrook.

Invite from myself and/or Steve Lapper is open for any of those days.  If you enjoy the course (which you will) we only ask you spread the word!

Let us know,
Lenny
lenny,

Send you a PM. Let me know how that works for you. thx.

arb:
Next!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back