News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Melvyn Morrow

Tom Doak & Askernish
« on: May 07, 2011, 12:42:29 PM »

Tom

It was not that long ago, perhaps a year or two that I remember you asking how to get to Askernish.

So you have been there, seen the new course reborn (more than I have done) and have added some of your wonderful magic to the course.

Would it be possible to submit a short report of your action accompanied with a few photo of your stay and suggestions made, including your trip over the water to South Uist. Trusting that will not compromise you with your Client, of course.

I would love to hear how you viewed the course with your designer’s hat on, not in the rather short statement you made originally but from the view point of a designer. Noting what you liked, did not and what you felt might improve the course and why. In other word a blow by blow account of your visits and recommendations attached with photos. Perhaps in the format for “IN MY OPINION”.

I think the magic of South Uist and the Outer Hebrides can only be described by those who have experienced the trip, alas my visit was many years ago way before the new course. So would like to know more about the travel, time taken, accommodation, the course, the suggestions and how you feel your mods have improved the course.

Are you able to open a unique window on to the course known as Askernish on the island of South Uist located within the Outer Hebrides as seen by one of the world’s well known Golf Course Designers?

Melvyn

jkinney

Re: Tom Doak & Askernish
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 07:59:22 PM »
Melyvn - Tom is quoted in the new Askernish brochure that can be accessed on the Askernishgolfclub.com website. It's under the "most recent articles & documents" section on the right side of the home page.. My wife & I will be over there 21st May for three rounds during which I'll take photos for posting here - if my less than techie brain can figure out how to do so !

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 08:31:44 PM »
At the risk of plugging our own stuff, we did a piece on the work early this year - I got some nice input from Eric Iverson. See http://www.golfcoursearchitecture.net/Article/Doak-team-working-at-Askernish/2085/Default.aspx for the story.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 08:52:26 PM »
Melvyn:

Thanks for asking.  I don't really have time this evening to do justice to the subject, but I'll give it a start, anyway.

I had been hearing about Askernish from the beginning like everyone else here, and I was curious to see it for myself, but it is a bit out of the way.  Luckily, Mike Keiser stopped over to visit the course en route to Scotland a couple of years ago, thought it was wonderful, and called me to say that he had volunteered to give them a bit of money for improvements if I would agree to oversee the work.  That was all the reason I needed to make the trip myself, which I did last March with my associate Eric Iverson, en route to the conference of golf architects in St. Andrews.

We spent three days visiting with Ralph and the locals and playing the course and having a look around.  It didn't take long to decide that the golf course has been UNDERsold as a golf course; everyone has concentrated on the story of its resurrection, and forgotten to say what a fine bunch of golf holes it offers.  In fact, the stretch of holes in the new terrain from #7 to #12 is right up there with the best stretches of holes at Dornoch, Cruden Bay, or Turnberry for golf design and for drama.

Mr. Keiser is not a fan of greens with lots of undulation, and the undulations at Askernish are pretty wild, both in macro and in micro scale; I think he expected that we would do more softening than we've done.  I don't think the greens are that severe considering that the speeds are not very fast; but they are very difficult to read, because of course they were just grassed over the native ground and not built by a shaper with maximum grades in mind.  In my mind, the only serious flaw in the golf course was that the approaches to the greens had not received much attention, and the random bumpiness of the approaches combined with the smallish greens made it difficult to play links-type approach shots with any level of confidence.  So, my recommendations were to do some work to smooth out the approaches on holes 4, 7, and 11; to relocate the greens on holes 6 and 17 where there was just a steep bank right up to the front of the greens and where a lofted shot was unlikely to hold; and to blow up the front section of the #16 green which really wasn't part of the original plan, and which made approach shots to either the front OR the back portion of the green a matter of luck more than skill.  [This last recommendation was the most controversial of the bunch, and in the end a compromise was reached, to return the front portion to approach but not remove it, and to enlarge the back portion of the green.]

I also recommended that they start building additional tees, as the originals are so small that they are showing signs of wear even with the limited amount of play the course now receives.

I was well aware in all of this that Martin Ebert and Gordon Irvine were the men really responsible for resurrecting the course, and we would be seen from the outside as the American interlopers, so we made sure to invite them both to participate, and Eric and I spent a good deal of time with Martin getting his take on our suggestions to enhance the golf experience.  We had the advantage of having a bit of money to spend on the course, whereas he and Gordon had much less in the way of resources; so we were sure that we could find some agreement on what to do with a bit more support, and we did.  

I know that the locals were still a bit nervous about having "a shaper" come in and do work on the course with heavy equipment of any sort, but I was confident that they would be relieved when they finally got to see Eric Iverson in action, tiptoeing around the site and trying to make it look like he had never been there.  I think John Garrity's recent article for SPORTS ILLUSTRATED captured this aspect very well; as Eric put it, once they understood he wasn't just some cowboy on an excavator, everything fell right into place.

I was not actually on site for any of the changes; Eric and I discussed them in detail on site, and I knew that he would get them right.  Martin Ebert made a long visit while Eric was there to check out the work and make sure he was on the same page we were, and all the work was done early this year, with Eric only on site for a fortnight and some extra labor for six weeks in total to sod things back together.  

So, I am now an honorary member of the club who has yet to make his second visit!  But I must say that I've done far more for other clubs in America and abroad, and none of them has treated us as warmly as the gentlemen of Askernish, nor thought to make us [Eric as well] honorary members of the club.  It really is an honor for us, of which I hope to make better use in the years ahead.

I wish I had some photos to share with you, but alas I did not bring my camera last March, and I haven't been back yet to take pictures of the "after".  Other than the new greens at #6 and #17, which won't be in play for a while yet, I really doubt that side-by-side photos of the before and after would really look any different to anyone even with a keen eye; our goal was to enhance the playability of the holes without doing anything obvious at all.  Only time will tell if we succeeded in that regard.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 09:03:30 PM »

Thanks Guys that’s great.

JK

Looking forward to your comments and photos. Can you also give a little report on your journey there and back as many are concerned about the travelling time and the sea/small plane. Hope you enjoy your rounds

Adam

Thanks for the link

I have seen their web site and Tom's link, but I am hoping that as this is a GCA site Tom may be willing to give us a more detail review, on all aspects from initial opinion through to what he did and why.

Melvyn

paul cowley

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 09:19:39 PM »
Melvyn:

Thanks for asking.  I don't really have time this evening to do justice to the subject, but I'll give it a start, anyway.

I had been hearing about Askernish from the beginning like everyone else here, and I was curious to see it for myself, but it is a bit out of the way.  Luckily, Mike Keiser stopped over to visit the course en route to Scotland a couple of years ago, thought it was wonderful, and called me to say that he had volunteered to give them a bit of money for improvements if I would agree to oversee the work.  That was all the reason I needed to make the trip myself, which I did last March with my associate Eric Iverson, en route to the conference of golf architects in St. Andrews.

We spent three days visiting with Ralph and the locals and playing the course and having a look around.  It didn't take long to decide that the golf course has been UNDERsold as a golf course; everyone has concentrated on the story of its resurrection, and forgotten to say what a fine bunch of golf holes it offers.  In fact, the stretch of holes in the new terrain from #7 to #12 is right up there with the best stretches of holes at Dornoch, Cruden Bay, or Turnberry for golf design and for drama.

Mr. Keiser is not a fan of greens with lots of undulation, and the undulations at Askernish are pretty wild, both in macro and in micro scale; I think he expected that we would do more softening than we've done.  I don't think the greens are that severe considering that the speeds are not very fast; but they are very difficult to read, because of course they were just grassed over the native ground and not built by a shaper with maximum grades in mind.  In my mind, the only serious flaw in the golf course was that the approaches to the greens had not received much attention, and the random bumpiness of the approaches combined with the smallish greens made it difficult to play links-type approach shots with any level of confidence.  So, my recommendations were to do some work to smooth out the approaches on holes 4, 7, and 11; to relocate the greens on holes 6 and 17 where there was just a steep bank right up to the front of the greens and where a lofted shot was unlikely to hold; and to blow up the front section of the #16 green which really wasn't part of the original plan, and which made approach shots to either the front OR the back portion of the green a matter of luck more than skill.  [This last recommendation was the most controversial of the bunch, and in the end a compromise was reached, to return the front portion to approach but not remove it, and to enlarge the back portion of the green.]

I also recommended that they start building additional tees, as the originals are so small that they are showing signs of wear even with the limited amount of play the course now receives.

I was well aware in all of this that Martin Ebert and Gordon Irvine were the men really responsible for resurrecting the course, and we would be seen from the outside as the American interlopers, so we made sure to invite them both to participate, and Eric and I spent a good deal of time with Martin getting his take on our suggestions to enhance the golf experience.  We had the advantage of having a bit of money to spend on the course, whereas he and Gordon had much less in the way of resources; so we were sure that we could find some agreement on what to do with a bit more support, and we did.  

I know that the locals were still a bit nervous about having "a shaper" come in and do work on the course with heavy equipment of any sort, but I was confident that they would be relieved when they finally got to see Eric Iverson in action, tiptoeing around the site and trying to make it look like he had never been there.  I think John Garrity's recent article for SPORTS ILLUSTRATED captured this aspect very well; as Eric put it, once they understood he wasn't just some cowboy on an excavator, everything fell right into place.

I was not actually on site for any of the changes; Eric and I discussed them in detail on site, and I knew that he would get them right.  Martin Ebert made a long visit while Eric was there to check out the work and make sure he was on the same page we were, and all the work was done early this year, with Eric only on site for a fortnight and some extra labor for six weeks in total to sod things back together.  

So, I am now an honorary member of the club who has yet to make his second visit!  But I must say that I've done far more for other clubs in America and abroad, and none of them has treated us as warmly as the gentlemen of Askernish, nor thought to make us [Eric as well] honorary members of the club.  It really is an honor for us, of which I hope to make better use in the years ahead.

I wish I had some photos to share with you, but alas I did not bring my camera last March, and I haven't been back yet to take pictures of the "after".  Other than the new greens at #6 and #17, which won't be in play for a while yet, I really doubt that side-by-side photos of the before and after would really look any different to anyone even with a keen eye; our goal was to enhance the playability of the holes without doing anything obvious at all.  Only time will tell if we succeeded in that regard.

"like"
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 10:09:00 PM »
Tom - I wish the others would have bought into the idea of more radical changes to 16 green! Did you give any thought to moving it down into the end of the dune valley (which is where we originally envisaged it back in 2006)?

Adam
Adam Lawrence

Adam Clayman

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 11:32:00 PM »
I don't think the greens are that severe considering that the speeds are not very fast; but they are very difficult to read, because of course they were just grassed over the native ground and not built by a shaper with maximum grades in mind.  In my mind, the only serious flaw in the golf course was that the approaches to the greens had not received much attention, and the random bumpiness of the approaches combined with the smallish greens made it difficult to play links-type approach shots with any level of confidence.

Tom,
These are interesting remarks.

Are these micro feature so undetectable that everyone is fooled, or, frustrated? Maybe your description of 'random bumpiness' is putting it mildly? Could you expound?

Is Ashkernish's goal to attract new members, outside play, or just have a better GC?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Paul_Turner

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 07:08:19 AM »
I'd like to have seen it before the bulldozers got there.  I wanted to see a " hand built" links. Something different, warts and all.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 07:10:28 AM by Paul_Turner »
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011, 09:37:48 AM »
I'd like to have seen it before the bulldozers got there.  I wanted to see a " hand built" links. Something different, warts and all.

Tom will correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt there is a bulldozer on Uist. The only machinery I believe Eric used was a single mini-excavator.
Adam Lawrence

Jud_T

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2011, 09:43:30 AM »
From so many points of view, this place has got to be near the top of everyone's wish list...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Adam Clayman

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2011, 11:31:21 AM »
Jud. I think Bogey might have been the one to post pictures of this course a few years back. The reception was quite mixed and only stirred the soul of a few of us. Great that MK became interested. I wonder if it was from that thread

« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 09:15:43 PM by Adam Clayman »
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tom_Doak

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2011, 05:04:49 PM »
Adam:  I don't think Mike Keiser reads Golf Club Atlas, unless somebody points his attention to something.

Paul T:  99% of the site is still untouched by equipment, and if you can tell me where the 1% is, I'll pay for your entire trip.  The changes we made are exactly the kind of stuff Old Tom Morris would have done -- with a labor crew, and a lot of muscle power.  But, I couldn't loan them Eric for six weeks to supervise building it more slowly, and it hardly makes sense when he can do the work much faster all by himself with the one little digger.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 05:06:46 PM by Tom_Doak »

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2011, 07:03:00 PM »
It would have been interesting to have played the course before the 'approach smoothing'. The last half of the gutty era was an airborne approach game and I wonder what kind of hazard/challenge it added. I further wonder if that might have been in common use by any architects of that era but have been taken out of other courses over the years with renovations for the rubber ball.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 08:39:03 PM by RSLivingston_III »
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

James Boon

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2011, 04:31:12 AM »
Melvyn, Thanks for starting this thread and thanks especially to Tom for his response!

Here is a link to the photo tour I posted after my visit to the Outer Hebrides a couple of years ago, and I can't wait to get back!
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,41817.35.html

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2011, 06:49:37 AM »

Tom

That was most kind of you to comment on the course and modifications.

Could I push you for one further comment related to getting to Askernish from the Mainland. I thought that as a man well-travelled, your input would be far more appropriate.

I presume you flew in and did not take the ferry, being more suitable for the short stay – any tips or advice.

While on the Outer Hebrides did you venture up to Stornoway ( http://www.stornowaygolfclub.co.uk/ ) and have a round at the course there, in the footsteps of Old Tom and Horace Hutchinson?

Thanks for all the information

Melvyn 

PS James would also welcome a comment on your experience of travelling to the island. If I remember correctly you had your Lady wife with you, so perhaps those with families may feel more inclined to take them as the journey is not that daunting. 

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2011, 07:34:29 AM »
Melvyn,

The positive energy that you have put into this thread about Askernish is such a beautiful change of pace from your other threads. At a different stage of life, I would love to get to Askernish to play and see the course as you have positioned this course as a "spiritual golf adventure", at least to me, and that is a great thing.

For now with family schedules, I will have to be satisfied with living in a parallel universe in Connecticut as I played the Hotchkiss School Golf Course yesterday with my son and hosted by Jim Kennedy.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,40181.0.html

I am sure you would enjoy it even though it is not links golf. I enjoy your threads about what is great about golf rather than the other.

Cheers

Tom_Doak

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2011, 08:28:08 AM »

Tom

That was most kind of you to comment on the course and modifications.

Could I push you for one further comment related to getting to Askernish from the Mainland. I thought that as a man well-travelled, your input would be far more appropriate.

I presume you flew in and did not take the ferry, being more suitable for the short stay – any tips or advice.

While on the Outer Hebrides did you venture up to Stornoway ( http://www.stornowaygolfclub.co.uk/ ) and have a round at the course there, in the footsteps of Old Tom and Horace Hutchinson?

Thanks for all the information

Melvyn 

PS James would also welcome a comment on your experience of travelling to the island. If I remember correctly you had your Lady wife with you, so perhaps those with families may feel more inclined to take them as the journey is not that daunting. 

Melvyn:

I have only been up to Askernish on the plane from Glasgow.  It's much the same as the flight from Portland to Bandon, or from Auckland to Napier, N.Z. to go see Cape Kidnappers -- about an hour on a twin-engine prop plane, and often fairly bumpy because of the winds.  Very beautiful if it's clear enough to see along the coastline, as I like to do.  Ralph Thompson reported that they had some trouble with the airline [BMI Baby] charging a lot for golf clubs; I hope they've got that resolved by now.  They were going to try to get the airline to do package deals [airfare-golf-lodging AND CLUBS] as the flights are seldom completely full.

I am not sure about the overland / ferry route; the one time I looked into it, it looked very long and without many possible golf stopovers, but I imagine that whole west coast is wonderfully scenic similar to the drive around to Machrihanish, with even less in the way of settlements.

I have not been able to get my wife up to Askernish yet.  She does not care much about golf at all, but she loves the outdoors and she loves to meet authentic people, so I think South Uist would be just the place for her.  She has some Scottish roots so she is probably predisposed to be comfortable there, though I doubt that her grandfather [a miner from Motherwell] ever got up to South Uist.

As for Stornoway, I have not been there yet ... that looks like a tough trip, even from Askernish!  I have only talked to one person previously who was familiar with it, Robin McMillan, who works for GOLF Magazine here in the USA.  He was quite fond of it.

Scott Warren

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2011, 08:49:28 AM »
Doesn't the ferry to South Uist depart from Oban? That for me would be an added reason to take the slow boat to Askernish. Oban is a wonderful town and the scenery surrounding it -both coastal and inland - is as good as it gets in Scotland from what I have seen.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2011, 09:01:37 AM »
And the train journey from Glasgow to Oban is worth making on its own.  A really, really beautiful route.

In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2011, 10:33:58 AM »
Thanks again Tom.

Oban is a rather nice place to stay and rest before or after the ferry to South Uist.

One special place we stayed at (The Wife & I) was a small private 6 bedroom Hotel that had great food but small in portions, nevertheless is was right on the Loch, down a 2.5 mile small single track road some miles south of Oban. It gave us the time and rest needed to face the rest of our time in travelling around the North West of Scotland. The place was called Lerags House and its web site is http://www.leragshouse.com/ . However if you seek a wild time do not go there. We meet another couple just back from travelling all over the Outer Hebrides and another on their way to Dornoch, with the guy being a Member of The Royal Burgess Golfing Society. The Meals was good as I said but small, but the drinks and coffee was available into the night. It was a great informal meeting and even the women talked about golf albeit more on the individuals rather that GCA or the game itself.

Yes, Oban has always been a good stop over.

Melvyn

Jim McCann

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2011, 01:51:48 PM »
I had a 2-hour meeting with Gordon Irvine last Wednesday near his home in Drymen and he semed mightily
relieved that the unique green on the 16th remains untouched (for the time being, at least)...

Here's a gratuitous snap from the course that I took during the inaugural Gents Open on 22 August 2008:

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2011, 01:58:38 PM »

Jim

So you might have met Ernie Payne (http://www.erniepaynegolf.co.uk/morris1a.html ) at Askernish ???

Melvyn

Ralph Thompson

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2011, 02:26:31 PM »
Adam,

The "goal" of us all at Askernish is the same as when we started. That is, to fully utilise a fantastic natural asset of the island to bring people to the island which will create employment and help the dwindling economy of the community. This is what we aspired to do and nothing has changed.

What has happened of course is that we didnt realise exactly what a tremendous asset we had. The half dozen of us that have been involved since the start are all golf nuts who saw the potential in the land but even when we had completed the initial layout, which we all thought was amazing we didnt actually think that it was "world class.' Even when visiting journalists , golf writers etc came to see us and praised the course I thought they were only patronising us as they realised the tremendous amount of hours etc that we had all put in to the project. The first real hint that everybody might be serious was when Mike Keiser seemed taken aback at the beauty and routing. We thought that Mike has probably seen every course worth seeing and if he was ecstatic then maybe we truly did have a hidden gem on our hands. The big test for us was when Tom Doak came out and played eighteen holes with Donald and myself - and hardly spoke a word about the course! We were used to people exclaiming loudly WOW when they got to the seventh tee but Tom - nothing! With bated breath we asked him back in the clubhouse what he thought of the course and he told us "why would anybody want to change any of this? He then berated us for concentrating on selling the history of the course rather than the actual course itself. It was only then that we really started to believe all the so called "hype.' Tom being Tom of course was being straight to the point and in this case absolutely correct .

As Tom has pointed out I defy anybody to come here and point out what parts of the course ( very very few) Eric Iverson created with his mini - digger and what areas god ( that isnt Eric) has left us with.

The biggest problem we have is when we go and visit other golf courses - we find them all so boring! The odd exciting hole and maybe three or four in some of the championship courses - we have a stretch of six holes which will equal anything in links golf and the other twelve are only slightly less brilliant. Then again maybe I am a wee bit biased in my reporting!

Never mind studying photos and debating about what Tom has done or hasnt done. Get on a plane , boat or whatever form of travel you prefer and get out here and see it for yourself. Only then can you appreciate what Askernish and its people are all about. Two GCA contributors Jeremy Kinney and Mac Plumart are on their way shortly so read their independent reports and then phone your travel agent!

Brent Hutto

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2011, 02:36:53 PM »
I know it's a dance on a tightrope to meet your tourism and development goals without losing the aspect of uniqueness and authenticity that justifies the entire enterprise. And I'm as leery of "slippery slope" arguments as anyone. That said, it's hard to see how you can take very many steps down the path initiated by Keiser's and Doak's visits without dissipating the initial enthusiasm over Askernish's unique provenance.

I have no doubt that Mr. Keiser could bankroll Mr. Doak and build a course in the Hebrides indistinguishable to an untutored eye from one scraped from the ground by Old Tom Morris's workmen with shovels and mules or whatever. They could also do that in places a heck of a lot easier to visit than Askernish. Smoothing a few approaches, fine tuning a green here or there and rationalizing out the odd bit of excessive "quirk" is probably a good compromise. But it seems awfully early in the revitalization of this unqiue-in-all-the-world artifact to be stepping up the pace of conversion between "found", "restored" and "recreated/improved" instances of the course.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 02:50:59 PM by Brent Hutto »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back