News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Niall C

Re: Who is the most underrated architect of all time?
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2011, 11:42:00 AM »
I think somewhere on the EIGCA website someone has pointed out that in terms of the UK's top 100 courses, George Low is third on the list with representation behind Old Tom and Colt (from memory). If thats correct that gives him a pretty good claim since no one ever mentions him.

Niall

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2011, 12:05:54 PM »
Dick Wilson

Anthony Butler,

No "sucking up"

Mayday,

How much did TEPaul and Wayno pay you ?  ?  ?
Or was the offering in the form of an invite to the Merion and Gulph Mills Member-Guests ;D

Jud_T

« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2011, 12:10:43 PM »
For my money definitely Langford & Moreau, at least until the Mashie... 8)  How about John F. Abercromby?
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Mac Plumart

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2011, 03:36:21 PM »
Perry Maxwell

Mike Riley

and I'll second (or third) Sheep.  Very funny!!   :)
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Dick Kirkpatrick

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2011, 06:48:41 PM »
Packard

Tom_Doak

« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2011, 08:10:42 PM »
Slightly different take, but wouldn't it be one of the many career staffers under the biggest name gca's?  Guys like Marzolf, Lipe, Rulewich, Knott in modern times, and some of Ross staff in the old days.

Jeff,

I was tempted to use the entire range of smiley faces for my response to your post, but thought it would be better to limit myself to one:

:-X     

Bart Bradley

« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2011, 08:13:04 PM »
Simpson --

Bart

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2011, 09:44:04 PM »
I was impressed with what I saw of Flynn in the US and Fowler in GB&I but my nomination comes from closer to home - Alex Russell.

jeffwarne

« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2011, 10:24:26 PM »
James Braid
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Sean_A

« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2011, 03:36:00 AM »
Bart & Jeff

Those are good calls on Braid and Simpson.  If I could only pick one archie of which I wish we had more of his work around it would be Simpson.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Mac Plumart

« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2011, 10:47:30 PM »
Bump...

This thread is educational and quite humorus. 
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Mike_Cocking

« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2011, 04:45:19 AM »
I'll put a vote in for Alex Russell - not the most underrated of all time but underrated nevertheless - especially outside Australia.

Paraparaumu, Yarra Yarra, Royal Melbourne East and Lake Kayyinyup - not a bad quartet.

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2011, 05:41:16 AM »
If Alex Russell had been American he would have been famous. His work in Melbourne and Paraparaumu is fantastic and Paraparaumu is the best preserved.
The original photos of Yarra Yarra show something really special.

Tom MacWood

« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2011, 06:32:16 AM »
Regarding Russell I've never quite understood why the bunkering at Yarra Yarra is quite bold, elaborate and plentiful (not unlike Mackenzie's) but Parapararumu's is the opposite. There are very few bunkers in NZ, those few are very simple, almost boring. Does anyone know the reason?

Scott Warren

« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2011, 06:37:17 AM »
Because they're different pieces of land?

Tom MacWood

« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2011, 06:56:26 AM »
I thought perhaps it was the influence of Mackenzie and Morcom at YY, although I'm not certain if Russell and Mackenzie were partners when YY was designed or if Morcom had any hand in its construction. Does anyone know?

If I remember correctly Parapararumu had a somewhat strange design history.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2011, 06:58:26 AM »
Regarding Russell I've never quite understood why the bunkering at Yarra Yarra is quite bold, elaborate and plentiful (not unlike Mackenzie's) but Parapararumu's is the opposite. There are very few bunkers in NZ, those few are very simple, almost boring. Does anyone know the reason?

I would guess this is a combination of three factors:

1)  Budget - Budget is always a factor in operating courses in New Zealand, which has such a small economy.

2)  Neighborhood - Yarra Yarra is right in the middle of the sand belt, and all of its neighbors have the same fantastic bunkering, so it would have been hard not to bunker it up, especially since

3)  The Morcoms - were resident in Melbourne and are really the ones who built all the bunkers at Yarra Yarra, and they didn't go to New Zealand.

I think your question is similar to "Why doesn't Whitemarsh Valley have those great George Thomas bunkers?"  It's because those great George Thomas bunkers are really Billy Bell's, and Thomas hadn't met Bell before he moved west.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2011, 07:25:45 AM »
Mike & Mike

Interesting that the three of us Aussies think that way re: Russell. Do you guys know anymore about his work ?

If I have it correctly he did the quartet of Australian courses (RMW/RME/LK/YY) in about 5 years into the early 1930's and Para. in 1949 - why did he do so little in between ?

Scott Warren

« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2011, 07:41:38 AM »
Kevin,

There's a great biography of Russell below. Written by Neil Crafter.

http://www.ausgolf.com.au/golf-course-architects-alex-russell

Interesting that he spent time at Cambridge in 1912. I have often seen it written that meeting MacKenzie in Melbourne was his first exposure to great golf architecture. You'd have to expect a golfer at Cambridge would have played some of the great courses - Worlington at least - and perhaps come across some of the great ODGs given their links to Cambridge.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2011, 09:41:01 AM »
On this site:  Ross

Overall:  Colt - the winner of Paul Turner's Dead Architect Contest
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

BCrosby

« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2011, 10:45:37 AM »
John Laing Low really wasn't an architect per se, but he was a pivotal figure in articulating the basic ideas behind strategic golf architecture. 

As for the question asked: Tom Simpson.

Bob

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2011, 10:54:18 AM »
Dan - there was a guy once who worked out in the mid-west in the 1910s and 20s, but I think all his courses are now NLE, and besides that I've sort of forgotten his name....it started with "S" I think....but that guy was very very underrated.

Sorry. Just goofing around. Good thread. Carry on please

Peter

Mark Pearce

« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2011, 10:58:31 AM »
After playing Lawsonia, I suspect Langford belongs in the conversation though probably doesn't take the prize.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Tim Gerrish

« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2011, 11:12:48 AM »
I'll add Wayne Stiles in New England...  Lots of knowledgeable people confuse his work with some guy named Ross.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2011, 11:35:54 AM »
Some bias here..but as a member of a Langford/Moreau golf course I feel there work flies under the general radar..our course for instance,  even most well read people do not know exists as one of their designs...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back