News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob Jenkins

ANNOUNCING KING'S PUTTER 2012!
« on: April 27, 2011, 02:40:47 PM »

Following considerable discussion at the recent and very successful KP at Bandon organized by our good friend Bill McBride, we now have the blessing of the organizing committee to travel even further north into B.C. for KP 2012.

DATES:   June 9 and 10, 2012 - Sagebrush Golf and Sporting Club, Quilchena, B.C.
              June 11, 2012 - Marine Drive Golf Club, Vancouver, B.C.
              Before and after games can also be arranged at courses such as Tobiano (about 40 minutes north of Sagebrush), Predator Ridge (2 hours east of Sagebrush) and some of the Vancouver courses but that is for later.

THE COURSES: 
              SAGEBRUSH is well known on this site and more can be found at  www.sagebrushgolf.com  Dick Zokol and his crew have made the course available to us for the weekend of June 9 and 10 and has agreed to hold the 2011 rates for 2012, ie. daily guest fee of $125 plus tax. In B.C. we currently have a Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) whiich is added to almost everything. Sagebrush is private and is becoming even more private and we are fortunate to have Dick welcome up to share this great experience. There are a limited number of players allowed each day and for next year, it appears as though the limit for us will be in the range of 40 golfers. I will confirm asap but it will be in that range. That will include golf all day, cart and lunch at The Hideout. Dinner at the Hideout Experience on Saturday June 9 is $50 plus HST. Sagebrush is a very special place where the ground game is supreme, the greens are massive and aremore fun than you can imagine. It was Canada's Best New Course in 2009 and has been highly acclaimed in many corners.

MARINE DRIVE GC is a private course located on the south side of Vancouver. Originally designed by A. Vernon Macan with some changes over the years including work last year by Jim Urbina on bunkers and green surrounds in particular. Tree lined but with generous fairways, it is not long at some 6300 + yards but still gives the good golfer a test. Marine has likely produced more competitive golfsers than any course in Canada, including Dick Zokol who was a junior and grew up on Marine. Head pro, Tim Tait, has set aside times early Monday afternoon, June 11. Although catering is usually not available on Mondays, Tim can arrange a burger bar and a bartender for our group. We can thank GCAer, Sandy Smith, and Tim Tait, for getting us access to Marine Drive. Cost will be the accompanied guest fee of $105 plus HST. Lunch cost to be determined. As a special treat, Mike Riste, author of the recently released biography of A.V. Macan, will join us and will tell us more about Macan and Marine Drive.

GETTING THERE

Sagebrush is about a 3 hour drive from the Vancouver International Airport (YVR) and about 2 hours from the Kelowna, B.C. airport. There are direct flights into YVR from most major US cities, including NY, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Minneapolis, Salt Lake, Phoenix and every town on the US west coast. There are also direct flights to Kelowna from Toronto, Calgary, Edmonton, Seattle (via Alaska/Horizon) and I think, Portland but will check on the latter. Kelowna is in the Okanagan Valley, home of Predator Ridge and several other good courses and is the centre of wine country as there are some 90 wineries in the valley. Sagebrush is located about 15 minutes north of the town of Merritt, B.C.

ACCOMMODATION
              At Sagebrush, Dick is hopeful that they will be able to commence construction of the lodge and cottages this summer and that they will hopefully be open by the time we arrive. That will require monitoring but we should know this summer if on site accommodation is available. Dick advises the rates will be $150 per night plus HST. If it becomes apparent that the lodge and cottages may not be finished, the backup is the Quilchena Hotel  www.quilchena.com  which is a few hundred yards from the entrance to Sagebrush and is a great old, character hotel, full of antiques, etc. There are also hotels in Merritt, The Best Western Nicola Inn and the Ramada Limited are probably the best and are reasonable.  www.bestwesternbc.com/hotels/best-western-nicola-inn   and  ramadamerritt@telus.net   
               In Vancouver, Marine Drive is a short hop from YVR where there are several nearby hotels of all types. The airport is in the suburb of Richmond, B.C.

DEPOSITS AND CURRENCY
               We are open to GCAers and as in the past, those who have attended previous KPs will get priority. All of the prices above are in Canadian funds and our dollar is now above the US dollar and is about $105. In order to get some firm commitments, I am asking for a deposit of $250. To hold a spot, please send the deposit asap. About 6 weeks before the event, I will ask for the balance of the cost which will be green fees and food at the courses plus taxes. Realizing it will be difficult for those in the US to pay in Canadian dollars, I propose that if you pay in US funds, add 5% to the deposit. I will do my best to adjust due to currency fluctuations and will advise if there are changes. So for those paying in US funds, I need a deposit of $262.50 US. I will hold all deposits in trust and until I pay Sagebrush and Marine for the green fees and food. Any surplus (I doubt it) would go to buy a few prizes.

OTHER GOLF BEFORE AND AFTER

You will be on your own but I will do my best to accommodate and provide suggestions. As I said above, Tobiano is close to Sagebrush. It is a very interesting course by Canadian architect Tom McBroom and was the Best New in Canada for 2008. www.tobianogolf.com  If there is enough interest I will try to book a block of times on Friday, June 8. let me know. The Ridge Course at Predator Ridge was Best new Canada in 2010.   www.predatorridge.com  Through friends I can try to arrange access to some of the other Vancouver clubs but that depends on interest and whether I still have any friends. (After all, I am a lawyer and it is tough for us to have friends)

LET ME KNOW!

If you want to join us, please IM or email me and I will generate a list and report back.

I have probably forgotten some info so if you have questions, post on this thread or email me. Thanks.

This will be fun!

Bob Jenkins

Re: ANNOUNCING KING'S PUTTER 2012!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 03:13:41 PM »

I forgot to mention Dick Zokol's advice to me that this summer they will be starting to build a massive putting course at Sagebrush, not unlike the Himilayas at St Andrews, although much bigger (about 175 yards long). It will be known as "The Bugaboos" after a mountain range in eastern BC known for helicopter skiing and should be open next spring and will be located near the current clubhouse / yert and just above the 7th fairway. It will be lit up at night and I can imagine some competitions fueled by a few beer under the stars.

Sean Leary

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 03:44:57 PM »
Good work Bob. This is a spectacular  venue and I look forward to it.

Richard Choi

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 03:47:15 PM »
Thanks for organizing this Bob! Sagebrush will be an epic event venue for GCA. I am really looking forward to it, and will be sending my check in ASAP.

Matt Bosela

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 03:59:01 PM »
Epic!  Count me in for a second consecutive year!

Just to add to Bob's wonderful introduction, here are links to my GCA photo essays on both Sagebrush and Tobiano, just in case you're not overly familiar with either course.

Sagebrush Golf and Sporting Club - http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,41154.0.html
Tobiano - http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,42367.0.html

I'll likely be interested in extending the trip somewhat and I imagine I'll look into rounds at Capilano and/or Shaughnessy in Vancouver if anyone wants to join in.

I'll also entertain the thought of driving to Seattle to play Chambers Bay and/or Aldarra but that's only if I can guilt Choi and Leary into accompanying me! ;)

Richard Choi

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 06:19:35 PM »
No guilt necessary. I would be happy to arrange a round at Chambers (on Thu or Fri) for those who are interested. I might be able to get us limited access to few private courses as well.

Ryan Admussen

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 06:27:45 PM »
I'm in if past participants don't fill all the spots. I'll be driving from Calgary if anyone wanted to play Banff on the way.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 06:29:16 PM by Ryan Admussen »

Tim Leahy

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 06:54:08 PM »
Count me in this year! Good thing they allow carts.

If anyone from No. Cal(I am in Sacramento) or So. Cal is interested in driving up there and splitting costs send me a message. Maybe even taking a van if we get enough guys would save on gas money. I am up for some side trips too!
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 09:15:22 PM »
Hate to commit to something 14 months into the future, but yes.
There should be a pretty good dinner one night at The Hideout in addition to the putting.
By the by, Kamloops sunrise 4:48 am, sunset 9:17. 16 1/2 hours of sunlight.
Those staying in Merritt are about 15-20 minutes from the course.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 09:26:55 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 11:14:25 PM »
Bob,

Awesome!

I'm gonna be a TBD.  Scotland might be my deal next year.  The Old Course is calling and I've never been...

Very cool to have A.V. Macan course and Mike Riste attending.

Thanks for making this happen.  I was wondering what the final plans would look like after this year's KP.
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

John Mayhugh

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 08:00:10 AM »
I'm in if past participants don't fill all the spots. I'll be driving from Calgary if anyone wanted to play Banff on the way.

This sounds like a really good idea.  Perhaps I could fly into Calgary and then home from Vancouver.

I've missed the last two KPs.  In for this one.

Brad Kane

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2011, 08:49:26 AM »
IN.   ;D

rjsimper

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2011, 10:39:10 AM »
Very cool.
Great to see this, Bob - all the best in luck and weather for you and the group!

For all, here's my photo thread which complements Matt Bosela's. If you have the time and means to make this trip, you will not be disappointed...Not much more fun to be had on a golf course...

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=f824o1f9rlj3631jfvnjreuus3&topic=46217.0

Lou_Duran

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2011, 11:54:13 AM »
Very tempting Bob, but I thought we we're heading to SoCal this time?   Wasn't Spaulding helpful in setting up the venerable El Perro GC for at least one day in the sun?

Despite returning to Texas and bundling in 70* weather, I'm still shivering from my time in the Pacific NW a couple weeks ago.  Oh, I did see a bunch of Will's kin in short sleeves AND shorts, unfazed by intermittent rain, sleet, and snow.  Hardy sorts.

I do have some medical issues to attend to.  Any chance you can hook me up so that I may benefit from your wonderful free healthcare system in consideration of my contributions to the "Harmony" of your great nation?

And maybe you can clear up something for me.   Why were merchants perfectly happy to accept US dollars for the face value of my bill in past excursions to Canada while shunning them this time?

BTW, how hard is a permanent resident visa to get?  With acclimation and the proper instruction from Will on the use of the "wife beater", I can envision the merits of living in Victoria and pulling a trolley at Victoria GC.  High tea does have a way of "civilizing" those of us of lesser origins.

As to making the KP in Canada, it may be contingent on you getting me that visa; as a single.  I'll have to do the cost-benefit analysis.  

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2011, 04:49:49 PM »

Thanks for a great response so far! So far 20 are on the list and sending in deposits which is great for the first day.

Lou, sorry I missed you when you were up this way and yes, they tell us this has been the coolest spring in this part of the world in the last 84 years. Not bad now however and the weekend looks good. Hopefully your health issues go away but if you want to run up across the border, you will have to confess all sins, swear allegiance to the Queen, disavow the perception that Tim Horton is our Prime Minister, pretend you speak French and get into hockey big time. Then you have a chance to get on the medicare plans up here. Hopefully you can make it up to Sagebrush.

Matt B, Leary and Choi thrive on guilt. The doors to Aldarra will fly open as at Chambers.

Gotta leave work early today so I can watch the Canucks beat the you know what out of the bums from Nashville. Is Bogey coming?

Dan King

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2011, 08:51:43 PM »
I don't believe the King's Putter has a passport.

The King's Putter was a competition between NorCal and SoCal featuring a home and home format. The Putter left the state this year, but that seems okay but because Bandon is a really special place and also still within a days drive from anywhere in California. My understanding is BC is in a whole different country.

For a variety of reasons I haven't gone to a King's Putter in years. All I did years ago was order a putter over this weird contraption called the Internet and so I might not have a dog in this race. Has the King's Putter expanded its horizons beyond the early days (Manifest Destiny) or has it become something entirely different and should return to the Golden State?

Cheers,
Dan King
A lot of funny stuff happens in Canada.
 --Samantha Bee

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2011, 08:55:49 PM »
Bob,

Sounds like a great event, I'de love to play. Unfortunately, it is happening during my anniversary, but 7 years isn't 5 or 10 right? I'll try and confirm shortly.

Tyler

Richard Choi

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2011, 11:38:18 PM »
Dan, so far we have an event that covers UK, Australia, Southeast US, and Midwest. I think expanding KP to West Coast would be a great idea and fit with all other GCA get together events and open that event to some great golf courses up and down the coast (and perhaps Colorado, Arizona, Utah and NM).

Now if we can just get a regular event for Northeast...

Bill_McBride

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2011, 11:44:05 PM »
I don't believe the King's Putter has a passport.

The King's Putter was a competition between NorCal and SoCal featuring a home and home format. The Putter left the state this year, but that seems okay but because Bandon is a really special place and also still within a days drive from anywhere in California. My understanding is BC is in a whole different country.

For a variety of reasons I haven't gone to a King's Putter in years. All I did years ago was order a putter over this weird contraption called the Internet and so I might not have a dog in this race. Has the King's Putter expanded its horizons beyond the early days (Manifest Destiny) or has it become something entirely different and should return to the Golden State?

Cheers,
Dan King
A lot of funny stuff happens in Canada.
 --Samantha Bee

Dan, a King's Putter was skipped a couple of years ago and nothing much seemed to be happening earlier this year, so I stepped up and we went to Bandon and a chance to savor the new Old Macdonald course.

I think that created the awareness that "if you build it, they will come," a la Field of Dreams, and Bob Jenkins leapt into the breach and off we go to the interior of British Columbia for KP 2012.

2013 should be back on Southern California turf, and I would challenge the SC types to step up and bring it back home.

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2011, 07:15:56 AM »
Always in!

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2011, 10:24:03 AM »
In as well...deposit check on its way this weekend.

Sounds like an incredible outing, Bob...thanks for stepping up!
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Dan King

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2011, 03:17:17 PM »
Bob, I hope you don't get the impression I was dissin' your hard word or anything. What you have organized looks to be terrific and I'm trying to look at my schedule to see if it can work out. Just not so sure the putter owns a passport.

Bill_McBride writes:
2013 should be back on Southern California turf, and I would challenge the SC types to step up and bring it back home.

I've been thinking I'd like to have the King's Putter come to the Central Coast (California's). I've been thinking maybe I will get involved in organizing. There are some good --reasonably priced -- courses around SLO. Plenty of good wineries to explore during those non-golf times and I have a four-bedroom beach house in Cayucos that could easily sleep dozen or so guys. We could even play a bit of beach golf. The drawback would be it is a very small airport and no real world-class golf courses, but it would be a ton cheaper than recent KPs.
http://www.golfslo.com/golf.asp

Would anyone be interested or object to 2013 being reasonably priced golf on the central coast of California?

Anybody know what KP we are up to?

Cheers,
Dan King
Babies don't need a vacation, but I still see them at the beach... it pisses me off! I'll go over to a little baby and say 'What are you doing here? You haven't worked a day in your life!'
 --Steven Wright

Alex Miller

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2011, 03:21:50 PM »
Bob, I hope you don't get the impression I was dissin' your hard word or anything. What you have organized looks to be terrific and I'm trying to look at my schedule to see if it can work out. Just not so sure the putter owns a passport.

Bill_McBride writes:

I've been thinking I'd like to have the King's Putter come to the Central Coast (California's). I've been thinking maybe I will get involved in organizing. There are some good --reasonably priced -- courses around SLO. Plenty of good wineries to explore during those non-golf times and I have a four-bedroom beach house in Cayucos that could easily sleep dozen or so guys. We could even play a bit of beach golf. The drawback would be it is a very small airport and no real world-class golf courses, but it would be a ton cheaper than recent KPs.

Would anyone be interested or object to 2013 being reasonably priced golf on the central coast of California?

Cheers,
Dan King
Babies don't need a vacation, but I still see them at the beach... it pisses me off! I'll go over to a little baby and say 'What are you doing here? You haven't worked a day in your life!'
 --Steven Wright

How do I put this?

YES!!!!!!

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2011, 03:42:09 PM »

Bill_McBride writes:

Cheers,
Dan King
 --Steven Wright

Dan,

In...

... unless I do Ireland, but I'm sure I could squeeze in a partial KP like I did a couple of years ago down in SoCal for KP VII 2009.  Missed out on the Sherwood stretch which was a bummer.

We'll be on KP XI in 2013!  That's right ... next year with Sagebrush it will have been 10 years already.  There was no KP in 2007 when KP VI would have been held.

The series has SoCal leading 5-3 according to what I'm able to find, but not sure if it's 6-3 or 5-4 given the latest KP because there really wasn't a North vs. South sort of thing.  So maybe that's a bygone thing now for bragging rights.

As follows:

King Putter I (2002) – SoCal organized under Tommy Naccarato (Tom Huckaby and Ed Getka assisting) – Barona Creek – NorCal wins.  Scores unknown.

King Putter II (2003) – NorCal organized under Tom Huckaby – Pasatiempo & Pajaro – NorCal wins.  Scores unknown.

King Putter III (2004) – SoCal organized under David Moriarty – Rustic Canyon – SoCal wins.  Scores unknown.

King Putter IV (2005) – NorCal organized under Tom Huckaby - Stevinson Ranch - 91/2 to 91/2 SoCal retains

King Putter V (2006) – SoCal organized under Tommy Naccarato – Palm Desert (Stone Eagle, Palms, & Plantation) – 23.5 to 14.5 SoCal retains again

King Putter VI (2007) – NO EVENT THIS YEAR

King Putter VI (2008) - NorCal organized under Tom Huckaby / Ed Getka – Pasatiempo, Pacific Grove, Pajaro, Bayonet, & MPCC – 18 to 14 NorCal wins

King Putter VII (2009) - SoCal organized under Robert Ball / David Stamm - Rustic Canyon, Soule Park, & Sherwood - 22 to 9 SoCal wins.  

King Putter VIII (2010) - NorCal organized under Kyle Henderson / Your truly - Tahoe (Old Greenwood, Coyote Moon, Gray's Crossing, Timilick, & Clear Creek) - 11 to 6 going into Clear Creek ... SoCal wins.

King Putter IX (2011) - Rest of World organized under Bill McBride (ex NorCal) - Bandon Resort, OR

King Putter X (2012) - Bob Jenkins - Sagebrush, B.C.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 11:49:02 PM by Patrick Kiser »
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Dan King

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2011, 04:09:00 PM »
Thanks Patrick.

The 150th anniversary of the Battle at Gettysburg is July 1-3, 2013. I'd like to have the event some time around then -- the weather on the central coast is usually not overly hot in the summer. We could even have the team playing for the north wearing blue and the team playing for the south wearing gray.

KPXI -- Gettysburg comes west!

Cheers,
Dan King
We entered Gettysburg in the afternoon, just in time to meet the enemy entering the town, and in good season to drive him back before his getting a foothold.
 --John Buford

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back