News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Colton

Dueling columns from Golf Channel's travel guys. One says Doakster. Other says Fazi. What says you?

http://www.thegolfchannel.com/travel-punch-shots/golf-architect-worth-traveling-42656/

JC Jones

Re: Which living golf course architect is most worth traveling for?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 01:31:53 PM »
JC,

On this website the answers are either Doak or C&C.  We all know when either of those are opening new courses, often times before it is even meant to be public.

Very few know if or when a Fazio, Nicklaus or anyone else course will be opening.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

JNC Lyon

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 01:38:49 PM »
Tucker's answer made me throw up in my mouth a bit.

I also have no idea how they automatically discounted the classic architects.  Have they ever been to the British Isles?  Colt, Park, Jr., or OTM might be my choices.

Thinking about it now, this whole proposition in the article is ridiculous.  Any person who has the cash on hand to play an overpriced Fazio public course (or, for that matter, an expensive Doak layout) will likely be in a position to have connections to private, golden age layouts.  The whole article makes absolutely no sense.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Steve Kline

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 01:39:11 PM »
As for the article linked, if the best/favorite course you mention that you have played on a golf trip by an architect is Pinehurst #4 then I don't see any way in the world you could say that architect is the most worth traveling for. It's basically your standard resort course that you could find in any number of states in the southeast.

As for me, I have been on many golf trips all over the world and played many of the top courses. But, someone else has always paid the bill. Usually it's my dad, but sometimes it is the printer of my magazines (Pebble Beach, Valhalla, French Lick, and Bandon (June of this year)) and sometimes I work into a company paid trip (Pine Valley and Ballyneal last year). But, in a couple of weeks I'm taking my first golf trip where I'm footing the bill. So, I think that pretty clearly states what architect is the most worth traveling for for me. Where am I going?

BALLYNEAL!!!!!

Yes...I will be on Doak with the legendary recording artist himself.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 01:44:11 PM »
I have traveled far and wide and the architect I plan to visit ASAP is Doak. I am by no means a "beard puller" (whatever that is), I just feel that his courses offer the most variety and aesthetically pleasing courses going. C&C are close and Fazio has some good ones, but Doak is the one I will work to see. Rock Creek is the prime example. It is a PITA to get to, but worth every ounce of aggrevation once you play it. Plus, I played Old Mac the first year eligible, but waited a few years to play Trails. Case closed.
Mr Hurricane

George Freeman

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 01:55:30 PM »

I also have no idea how they automatically discounted the classic architects.  Have they ever been to the British Isles?  Colt, Park, Jr., or OTM might be my choices.

Thinking about it now, this whole proposition in the article is ridiculous.  Any person who has the cash on hand to play an overpriced Fazio public course (or, for that matter, an expensive Doak layout) will likely be in a position to have connections to private, golden age layouts.  The whole article makes absolutely no sense.

JNC,

The article stipulates living architects only.

Pretty easy to pick two for me: Doak and C&C.  Hopefully DeVries can get added to the list in the not too distant future.
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

JNC Lyon

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 02:02:34 PM »

I also have no idea how they automatically discounted the classic architects.  Have they ever been to the British Isles?  Colt, Park, Jr., or OTM might be my choices.

Thinking about it now, this whole proposition in the article is ridiculous.  Any person who has the cash on hand to play an overpriced Fazio public course (or, for that matter, an expensive Doak layout) will likely be in a position to have connections to private, golden age layouts.  The whole article makes absolutely no sense.

JNC,

Pretty easy to pick two for me: Doak and C&C.  Hopefully DeVries can get added to the list in the not too distant future.

I know they discounted classic architects.  I'm just not sure why.  That's like asking "What's the best city to travel to?" but you cannot include anything in Europe.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 02:04:23 PM »

JNC,

McLovin JNC is subtly poking fun at me for not reading the "6:30 in the morning" NY Times article before posting on that thread.   ;D

I'm hoping next in the series is "Executive Courses vs Ward-ian Layouts:  are you a pea-shooter or swing a big stick?"  ;)
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

JNC Lyon

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 02:07:18 PM »

JNC,

McLovin JNC is subtly poking fun at me for not reading the "6:30 in the morning" NY Times article before posting on that thread.   ;D

I'm hoping next in the series is "Executive Courses vs Ward-ian Layouts:  are you a pea-shooter or swing a big stick?"  ;)

Joe,

I read the article.  I figured that these folks discounted classic architects because they didn't build public-access courses en masse the way the moderns do.

I like the next series idea.  Will it involve Nevada's Wolf Creek and Wine Valley being ranked the two best courses in the country?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 02:08:42 PM »
I plan to drop everything and drive to Austin when El Boqueron opens!

JNC Lyon

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 02:09:20 PM »
By the way, Tucker highlighted Edgewood Tahoe as worth traveling to because it is "pretty" and "every hole is a dogleg right."  This is a serious architectural mind we are dealing with here! :o

Kalen Braley

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 02:14:31 PM »
By the way, Tucker highlighted Edgewood Tahoe as worth traveling to because it is "pretty" and "every hole is a dogleg right."  This is a serious architectural mind we are dealing with here! :o

6 of the last 7 holes at CPC, (if you include 16), are dogleg rights of one sort or another.  Perhaps there is some basis right?!  ;)

JNC Lyon

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 02:16:15 PM »

6 of the last 7 holes at CPC, (if you include 16), are dogleg rights of one sort or another.  Perhaps there is some basis right?!  ;)

Isn't that usually why Cypress Point is considered great? ::)

Dan Kelly

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2011, 02:20:32 PM »
I have traveled far and wide and the architect I plan to visit ASAP is Doak. I am by no means a "beard puller" (whatever that is)....

Jim --

You're mixing up your insults!

A person who speaks or writes about golf (or any other sport) with an excess of solemnity -- often featuring attempts to find, in golf, deep insights into the meaning of life ... and generally littered with three-dollar words -- is a "beard-puller" (credit the term to Rick Shefchik).

A person who speaks too highly of a particular living architect's work may be accused of being a "butt boy."

I suppose there are butt-boy beard-pullers -- but I haven't met any, thankfully.

Dan
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Michael Dugger

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2011, 02:26:45 PM »
JC,

On this website the answers are either Doak or C&C.  We all know when either of those are opening new courses, often times before it is even meant to be public.

Very few know if or when a Fazio, Nicklaus or anyone else course will be opening.

Wow, you have become one serious Fazio honk lately JC.  Seriously, at every opportunity you cite the Doak and C & C bias and defend Fazio.

We get it already...
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2011, 02:29:23 PM »
I have traveled far and wide and the architect I plan to visit ASAP is Doak. I am by no means a "beard puller" (whatever that is)....

Jim --

A person who speaks or writes about golf (or any other sport) with an excess of solemnity -- often featuring attempts to find, in golf, deep insights into the meaning of life ... and generally littered with three-dollar words -- is a "beard-puller" (credit the term to Rick Shefchik).

A person who speaks too highly of a particular living architect's work may be accused of being a "butt boy."

I suppose there are butt-boy beard-pullers -- but I haven't met any, thankfully.

Dan

If there are any, I sincerely hope they wash their hands.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Dan Kelly

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2011, 02:56:28 PM »

Jim --

Dan

P.S. -- for the historical record:

Attention, etymologists: Mr. Shefchik's first use of "beard-pulling" was, I believe, a reference to some bloated baseball writer -- possibly W.P. Kinsella. Its transference to golf was a natural (so to speak) migration.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2011, 02:59:05 PM »
I think I've only ever played Hawtree, Steele, Elser & Nicklaus.
Cave Nil Vino

Jim Franklin

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2011, 03:07:52 PM »

Jim --

Dan

Thanks dan, as you can see those "nicknames" mean nothing to me.
Mr Hurricane

Harris Nepon

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2011, 03:11:24 PM »
Tough to beat Doak or C&C. Who has a portfolio worth travelling for like they do?

Dye could make some people's short list but I agree with not wanting to go and get your brains beat in all day.

I have to say Doak would be my overall #1 pick.

JC Jones

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2011, 03:17:35 PM »
JC,

Wow, you have become one serious Fazio honk lately JC.  Seriously, at every opportunity you cite the Doak and C & C bias and defend Fazio.

We get it already...

Interestingly, I've not played a Fazio course to date.  Perhaps you know me better than I know myself.

I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2011, 03:23:54 PM »
Come on, no mention of Trump? The discussion is worthless.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2011, 03:26:20 PM »
I've only played one Fazio, and it was well worth it.

Granted the Doak's I've made the effort to see were even more so!

Having never played a C&C, they are on the top of my list at the moment.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2011, 03:33:43 PM »
I always take my time to get to the latest Fazio because I know it will still be there when I am ready.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2011, 03:53:16 PM »
My preferences lean towards Coore & Crenshaw by a fairly large margin.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back