News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

V. Kmetz

Part IV a. - Siwanoy Country Club - Course Tour (#1 - 3)
« on: April 22, 2011, 12:47:32 AM »
I thought many of you might be enjoying this silently, so I decided to get the Course Tour underway...

Course Tour

No. 1      Par 4      373   363   324

(please see Part II for other photos)

The very first hole of the course is something of a model for the variety of choices and solvable challenges that confront the player over a round at Siwanoy.  It is mid-sized, small of green, and driving too far may reduce some problems, but yield others.

From a perfectly square and level teeing ground mere steps from the Golf Shop, Grill and Putting Green, the player encounters a serene but inspiring view over a rolling emerald dale of fairway to its tiny sun-lit green on a distant hill.

Many players elect to hit one about 210-225 off the tee to this flat, which offers a full view over a 25 foot valley of fairway and a chance to gain judgement and spin into this oft-downwind target:

A basher has a very good chance to get within 90 yards of the green, but the shorter shot is checked by a play off of soft, valley-bottom turf and a mostly blind sklyline shot.  Very fiddly, as Sir Nick would say...

This foreground bunker - which looks flush to the green, but is actually 10 yards short of the surface - hectors judgement perfectly from either position.  Local knowledge tells a Siwanoy player that the ball is best flown to a few yards before the front edge and this bunker worries that play expertly.  This little target is only 25D x 15W and though it may not seem so, missing in the right rough is not a safe option as is it usually blazing to the left side.  The pin locales near the barely-visible brow in the back right of this green are among the most delicate on a course filled with such spots.

No. 2      Par 4      402   390   299

(please see Part III for green side photos)

The 2nd hole is one of only two Siwanoy par 4s that measure more than 400 yards from the back tees.  It is a crescent-shaped hole that banks to the right and continues uphill to the green just out of tee view.  The green, like so many at Siwanoy, can be a terror if disrespected.  While not quite as undersized as some on the course, it is effectively rendered much smaller by the obvious division into two halves by a sharp step-like tier shelf that bisects the green laterally. It is not until you contemplate the difficulties in attacking this wicked two-tier green that the strategic options off the tee are clear.

One of these difficulties for approach is that the only flat spots in this banked fairway are well back (175 – 200 yards) from the green. Almost everything else is a pronounced “slice” lie, played to an elevated target that shoulders off in the same direction.  The closer to the green you drive, the more the approach lie is played below your feet and the more awkward the shorter iron becomes.

Compounding all on #2 is that it is generally played into a swirly quartering wind out of the NW (the left).   This and the uphill nature of the approach add a great deal of distance-effect to a shot that has to be judged perfectly to attain the proper tier level on the green. Three putts and double-bogeys are often the penalty for failing this executive act. The pin position shown in the photo below is insanity at tournament speed.

No. 3      Par 3          210   199   136

(please see Part III for other greenside photos)

The 3rd hole is your first introduction to Siwanoy's defining medal play strength, its one-shotters.  Playing downhill and generally downwind to a  small green, the primary problem is how to fit a bigger hit into this target. Shots that come hurtling in past the middle of the green will not hold the surface, and long or left flirts with lost-ball death.  The soundest play is one for the area at the front left corner, albeit well defended by a bunker on that side and pinched by the bunker complex the other side.

The sublime green considerations are dominated by a small bank that extends from the left bunker into the green, creating a small tier shelf above in the back left and a tapered slope to the back right. Pins cut there create the toughest shot access but the flattest putting.  The larger portion of green underneath that brow is a continuous slope from back to front, getting ever sharper at the immediate front of the green.

Though slightly longer than the famous 10th at Winged Foot West, this hole presents a valid “compare and contrast” between Ross’ and Tillinghast’s longer one-shot styles.  The author finds this unmentioned design just as, if not more, rewarding to play as the options available are more varied than the aerial heroics, "hit the green or else," presented by Tillinghast at the legendary "Pulpit."

cheers

vk

"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Alex Miller

Re: Part IV a. - Siwanoy Country Club - Course Tour (#1 - 3)
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 12:57:11 AM »
VK, indeed I have been silently enjoying these threads. Wonderful descriptions and photos! Thank you.

V. Kmetz

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 01:12:35 AM »
Alex,

Thank you.  It is my pleasure.  Here's an additional photo gift for those like yourself, looking back down the 9th (left) and out to the summit top of the 10th (right).  This spot was once the site of one of the few trees that was worth saving, an ancient 100 foot tall Copper Beech that had to come down in the late 1990s due to disease.

cheers

vk
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Ben Voelker

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 10:48:48 AM »

No. 2      Par 4      402   390   299

(please see Part III for green side photos)

The 2nd hole is one of only two Siwanoy par 4s that measure more than 400 yards from the back tees.  It is a crescent-shaped hole that banks to the right and continues uphill to the green just out of tee view.  The green, like so many at Siwanoy, can be a terror if disrespected.  While not quite as undersized as some on the course, it is effectively rendered much smaller by the obvious division into two halves by a sharp step-like tier shelf that bisects the green laterally. It is not until you contemplate the difficulties in attacking this wicked two-tier green that the strategic options off the tee are clear.

One of these difficulties for approach is that the only flat spots in this banked fairway are well back (175 – 200 yards) from the green. Almost everything else is a pronounced “slice” lie, played to an elevated target that shoulders off in the same direction.  The closer to the green you drive, the more the approach lie is played below your feet and the more awkward the shorter iron becomes.

Compounding all on #2 is that it is generally played into a swirly quartering wind out of the NW (the left).   This and the uphill nature of the approach add a great deal of distance-effect to a shot that has to be judged perfectly to attain the proper tier level on the green. Three putts and double-bogeys are often the penalty for failing this executive act. The pin position shown in the photo below is insanity at tournament speed.

VK,

I really like the look of this hole.  I can imagine that getting anywhere near that top shelf pin off of that slice lie must be brutally difficult.

Keep the descriptions coming!

Ben

V. Kmetz

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 11:02:23 AM »
Ben,

Thanks.  You can find the description from the 1915 newspaper posts in Part I (Sticky Topic) thread, but Ross is said to have loved this hole himself.  It played longer in his day, but somehow the thing is still tough and quite deserving of the 3 Handicap hole (it used to be #1 before the Par 5 5th was lengthened)

cheers

vk

V. Kmetz

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 07:45:54 PM »
just collecting the threads together

cheers

vk

Malcolm Mckinnon

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 09:40:16 PM »
VK,

Can it be?

What happened to the steeple chase mounds that used to reside between tee and green on number three? Though not in play I thought they lent an archaic look to the hole which I liked.

Drat!

V. Kmetz

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 10:00:37 PM »
Hello Malcolm.

Yes my unacquaintenced friend, they are gone, most notably the big berm on the right, fifty yards short of the green complex.

I'm so used to it not being there, that I'd forgotten to mention it.  I loved that antique guardian myself and the sad thing is they got rid of it before the trees came down.  It might have stayed if it could have been seen without the trees.

If you look in Part III, in the older photo I used to depict the 3rd green (Oct 1995) you can see what Malcolm and I are referencing if you look to the center right edge of the 3rd green photo.

Also, Malcolm, I'm no where near ready to announce yet, but very fresh research has given me an idea about the 3rd hole which would be highly speculative and highly tantalizing vis a vis this thread.

To put you (and all) on tenderhooks, it may be that Ross did NOT design this hole.

But when the last Part is over and done, I'm going to have an epilogue which will cover a lot of this material.

cheers

vk

Malcolm Mckinnon

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 10:22:18 PM »
How dare they!

Damn the fickle greens committees and their tweaks that erode what is there. Yet, praise to the committees that enhance.

My head spins....

Malcolm Mckinnon

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 10:31:12 PM »
VK,

Sorry,

I had not seen part III.

There it is!

I should copy and repost in that section...

V. Kmetz

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 10:40:43 PM »
MMK,

In fairness to Ross  design features, (if not your experience) old Nick DeSalva, who caddied at Siwanoy from 1937-1995 (d. Jan 1996) told me the berms on the 3rd were NOT there when he started in the late 1930s.

He couldn't remember if they were added in the RTJ works of 1952 or the Geoffrey Cornish efforts of the late 60s/early 70s - actually Nick wouldn't have known Geoffrey Cornish from a Cornish game hen - but he just said "They've been there a pretty long time."

cheers

vk

Malcolm Mckinnon

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 10:51:48 PM »
How curious that a semi-modern revision would add such an archaic, not in play feature.

Did they look to evoke a pre 1910 architectural look in a modern revision?

Wow! that is radical!

V. Kmetz

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2011, 10:46:06 PM »
just getting the post together as e make the turn

cheers

vk

V. Kmetz

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 07:58:29 PM »
The front nine Tour and is buried right now on Pg 150 of the thread list, juts putting them back up top to blend more seemelssly with the back nine info I'm posting tonight.

cheers

vk

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back