News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 03:39:20 PM by Ronald Tricks O'Hooligan Montesano »
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Joe Bausch

Re: GD's Public Courses 64-Course Bracket
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 07:38:19 PM »
I've always liked those 2 vs 15 match-ups in the NCAA.  How 'bout that Shadow Creek against Bulle Rock blood bath in the first round?!

;)  :)
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Andy Troeger

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 07:42:26 PM »
I think its a fun idea, especially the "Match Play" bit. Hopefully it will get people to think about golf courses a bit.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 09:31:37 PM »
Ron:

The selection cmte must have amnesia -- I don't see Black Mesa listed ! ;D

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 09:54:21 PM »
Looks like fun.  Hate it that the Quarry goes up against Pine Needles right away.  Hate to see either lose, but I may try to have a heavy write in vote!
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Alex Miller

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 10:24:30 PM »
Seems like someone at GD is lurking GCA  :)

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 10:48:50 PM »
Alex,

I don't know about this quarterfinals, but Ron Whitten did a "match play" between Ocean Forest and Harbor Town to break their tie for 99th on the Top 100 list, which seems to be clearly a lift, clean and place in GD from this site.  AT least, I had never seen it done before here.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Adam Clayman

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 11:13:29 PM »
This is cool.

Seems like there should be a tad bit more specifics on how and who can vote.

Is it proper that a person that hasn't played both courses, pick a winner in any match?

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 05:56:53 AM »
Look at some of the comments on the votes...they will be along the lines of "OMG!! Grazing Pig has THEEEE cutest assistant pros...they bye me dranks all day LOOOOONG at the cabana...I'm totes voting for that golf coarse totes totes totes!!!!"

I caution you against thinking that this bracket will be decided on architectural merit.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Adam Clayman

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 09:24:17 AM »
After seeing their 100 greatest list, why would anyone assume architectural merit is a factor. :) :) :)
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Steve Lapper

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 10:43:51 AM »
With no mention of Old MacDonald, 90+% of this is a farce. Too bad, but then again, it is GD!
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Bill Brightly

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 10:52:31 AM »
Hmm, I wonder if all the GCA members really voted if we could pull off an upset like Pasatiempo knocking off the #1 seed Whistling Straits?  That would shake up GD!

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 10:53:33 AM »
I'm interested to see the results of Cascades vs. Fallen Oak, and Pasatiempo vs. Irish at WS.

Great classic vs. modern battles with very different golf courses.  

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2011, 10:59:37 AM »
Steve,

Are you saying that the omission of one course makes 90% of the bracket a farce? That's what I'm reading.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2011, 11:02:00 AM »
Hmm, I wonder if all the GCA members really voted if we could pull off an upset like Pasatiempo knocking off the #1 seed Whistling Straits?  That would shake up GD!

That was the first thing that jumped out at me upset wise too. C'mon GCA let's get it done!
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

Anthony Butler

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2011, 11:04:27 AM »
Since Shadow Creek is ranked above Pinehurst #2 it's safe to assume that the brackets were created by a couple of bookies in Vegas.

Next!

Steve Lapper

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2011, 11:12:42 AM »
Steve,

Are you saying that the omission of one course makes 90% of the bracket a farce? That's what I'm reading.

Yes, the omission of an easily arguable top 5 course, and one that might well topple any one of those ahead of it and certainly all behind it does (by statistical logic and definition) render the majority of the balance a farce (WebsterS: "ludicrously improbable situation").

I'll go one more controversial step further and wager that a very large part of this contest will be determined by the following factors:

1) The relative attractiveness of the course's cart girls.

2) The proximity and frequency of alcoholic beverages available.

3) The net win/loss on-course gambling ratio for participating, non-GCA voters.

4) Social networking skill of each venue's Marketing Director's team

5) Relative GD specific ad spending budget of many of the named venues.

Any takers???

All of the above sound like solid reasons to further promote the contest as a constructive valuation for public access golf, eh?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 11:32:18 AM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Bill Brightly

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2011, 11:18:10 AM »
Has anyone actually voted yet? I tried but I don't think voting is available yet. As a non-facebook user, there is a good chance I am missing something...

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2011, 11:23:33 AM »
Has anyone actually voted yet? I tried but I don't think voting is available yet. As a non-facebook user, there is a good chance I am missing something...

Bill,

I voted yesterday.  I think it will be fun.

Mark

George Pazin

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2011, 11:24:58 AM »
To make this really work, you'd need:

- GC spend weeks having their experts predict the seedings

- a big kickoff show

- a couple days of people complaining about why their course got left out

- and, of course, JC Jones explain to us why all the Big Ten courses will dominate...only to lose earlier than expected.

:)

I expect Big East Bethpage Black to fare well, but a Pac 10er will end up winning.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Bill Brightly

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2011, 11:34:04 AM »

- a big kickoff show

- and, of course, JC Jones explain to us why all the Big Ten courses will dominate...only to lose earlier than expected.

I expect Big East Bethpage Black to fare well, but a Pac 10er will end up winning.

No bracketing is complete without complaints from those left off. I scanned it quickly nd found these three that should be on:

Caledonia
Erin Hills
Atlantic City

Howard Riefs

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2011, 12:41:32 PM »
Matty G said that Old Mac, because of it only opened last year, isn't eligible for GD's Top 100 list until 2013 -- hence the reason it was left off the bracket

http://twitter.com/#!/Matt_Ginella/status/55676005179867138
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Tim Leahy

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2011, 01:05:01 PM »
My final would be Pebble Beach vs. Spyglass Hill. If I had to pick two public courses for my final rounds it would be those two.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2011, 01:30:09 PM »
Matty G said that Old Mac, because of it only opened last year, isn't eligible for GD's Top 100 list until 2013 -- hence the reason it was left off the bracket

http://twitter.com/#!/Matt_Ginella/status/55676005179867138

Oh Yeah...that makes perfect sense. ::) ::)

and some trust these yo-yo's to define anything???

Scott Szabo

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2011, 01:46:16 PM »

- a big kickoff show

No bracketing is complete without complaints from those left off. I scanned it quickly nd found these three that should be on:

Caledonia
Erin Hills
Atlantic City

Or Wild Horse?
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back