News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

The United Links of America
« on: April 18, 2011, 12:14:00 PM »
Forrest Richardson has designed a new course that brings an entirely new dimension to the architectural term "scale!"  This breathtaking links literally plays from coast to coast and border to border.

Spend a little time with the routing plan below and you'll find some very interesting golf holes.  Please post your thoughts on how this course plays and what the historical antecedents might be from the Golden Age.

I'll start it off.....   How about that drop shot par 3 #15?  Talk about "scale!"   Enjoy the course, share your thoughts.  You can enlarge the plan by clicking CTRL+

« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 12:15:59 PM by Bill_McBride »

PCCraig

Re: The United Links of America
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 12:41:28 PM »
Um, ok?? Sorry, but it looks kind of like something I doodled in my Geography book in 8th grade.... :)
H.P.S.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 12:44:00 PM »
Those last 3 holes are feeling/looking kind of redundant!!   :P

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 01:19:29 PM »

Redundant or repetitive?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 01:20:23 PM »

Redundant or repetitive?

Ahh yes, well stated Senor Bill!   :)

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 01:25:24 PM »
This is a cool idea, but yeah, there is some repetition - on a couple of those par 3's, too.

I want to try this myself later.  :-D

Alex Miller

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 01:28:26 PM »
Um, ok?? Sorry, but it looks kind of like something I doodled in my Geography book in 8th grade.... :)

This IS something I doodled in my geography book in 8th grade. Not to mention any other book that had a map in it.

I've never been to minnesota, but I bet it's fair to assume a lot of fill was needed for 8's green  ;D

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 01:29:08 PM »
Come on Bill it’s bad enough when it rains at one end of the course let alone Hole but then to have different times zones is going to make nonsense of your 6-7 hour rounds. Mind you I would  like to see someone drive the Greens from the Tees .

Melvyn

PS how many times do you need to refill your carts say on the 16th?  ;)

Kalen Braley

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 01:30:37 PM »

This IS something I doodled in my geography book in 8th grade. Not to mention any other book that had a map in it.

I've never been to minnesota, but I bet it's fair to assume a lot of fill was needed for 8's green  ;D

When I was in 8th grade Geography, I learned that the current 8 green is somewhere in Maine, not in Minnesota!!   :P  ;D

Bill_McBride

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 01:32:34 PM »

Redundant or repetitive?

Ahh yes, well stated Senor Bill!   :)

Well, you have to understand that Forrest is very much a "lay of the land" guy, and has used macro features - the Rio Grande, the Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic Coast - as water hazards on those demanding closing holes.  On occasion there may be a hurricane to act as a de facto water feature on 17 or 18.

What do you think of the alternate greens on #9?  Very reminiscent of Doak's Pacific Dunes, don't ya think?

This is sort of Paul Bunyan golf, with Babe the Big Blue Ox as caddy, and should be approached in that spirit!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 01:35:24 PM »
Come on Bill it’s bad enough when it rains at one end of the course let alone Hole but then to have different times zones is going to make nonsense of your 6-7 hour rounds. Mind you I would  like to see someone drive the Greens from the Tees .

Melvyn

PS how many times do you need to refill your carts say on the 16th?  ;)

You would love this course, Melvyn, it's walking only!

Alex Miller

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 01:39:27 PM »

When I was in 8th grade Geography, I learned that the current 8 green is somewhere in Maine, not in Minnesota!!   :P  ;D

Haha, indeed. I meant hole 6.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 01:42:01 PM »
Bill had a chance to review this "plan" before construction, so he has an advantage. The three holes critiqued do have repetitive 'qualities', but they have some distinct differences...

No. 16 plays through a hilly desert and then to a wide field where aim at the green is among several choices. At 500 yards it is a two shot proposition. It's flanked by a river and, no, you do not want to venture out there and pick up an O.B. ball. Just leave it there.

No. 17 calls for a throttle-back off the tee (else risky) and is therefore a 3-shot proposition...it's a low-lying, sea level experience with tidal marshes and dunes along the edge.

No. 18 begins with dunes, but moves its way to a more wooded finish with openings along the ocean. It's a strong par-4 with wind continually out of the east.

As for the threes, they play 210, 160, 200, 140 and 270. No. 15 is a drop shot from 14,000 ft. Elev. to 6,500 ft. Elev.

All in good fun. I can't wait to hear from Oklahomans who will delight in knowing the maintenance yard is theirs.

— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2011, 01:44:39 PM »

I've never been to minnesota, but I bet it's fair to assume a lot of fill was needed for 8's green  ;D

When I was in 8th grade Geography, I learned that the current 8 green is somewhere in Maine, not in Minnesota!!   :P  ;D

Actually no fill was required, that green sits very attractively right on the lake.

Or so Forrest has implied in the sketchy field notes he sent me with the plan.   Very sketchy.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 01:46:26 PM by Bill_McBride »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2011, 01:48:37 PM »
Forrest, well stated, thanks for the "Architects Rebuttal".   ;)

Although I think you may have under-estimated #15 a bit.  By my reckoning, that green appears to be smack dab in the middle of the grand canyon, of which the floor is about 2000 feet elevation.  I suppose the green could span the grand canyon which would make it a helluva biarritz hole!!!  ;D

Epic indeed!!

P.S.  Have you thought about the implications for "reverse routing" play day!!  ;)

Kalen Braley

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2011, 01:50:30 PM »

I've never been to minnesota, but I bet it's fair to assume a lot of fill was needed for 8's green  ;D

When I was in 8th grade Geography, I learned that the current 8 green is somewhere in Maine, not in Minnesota!!   :P  ;D

Actually no fill was required, that green sits very attractively right on the lake.

Or so Forrest has implied in the sketchy field notes he sent me with the plan.   Very sketchy.

Bill,

Very nice call,

From my view, #6 looks like a tribute to Pine Valley #16!!  ;)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2011, 01:54:54 PM »
How about the double green at #3 and #12 that wraps around San Francisco Bay?!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2011, 02:00:31 PM »

Yea I saw that, and I'm calling bogus.

I mean c'mon, the land acquisition costs would run into the hundreds of billions, if not a trillion!!  :o

Clearly he'll need to terminate those holes somewhere in the San Joaquin/Sacramento Valleys

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2011, 02:05:22 PM »
No. 15 sits on the edge of the pit, whatever it is called. It has some awesome views across to the south edge of the same pit.

Land acquisition is no issue for SF...they are looking for any and all revenue currently.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Bill_McBride

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2011, 02:08:15 PM »

Yea I saw that, and I'm calling bogus.

I mean c'mon, the land acquisition costs would run into the hundreds of billions, if not a trillion!!  :o

Clearly he'll need to terminate those holes somewhere in the San Joaquin/Sacramento Valleys

You must think bigger, young Jedi.  And outside the box, breaking all paradigms not to mention every other cliche in the books!

Jason Topp

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2011, 04:24:40 PM »
Safety looks like an issue.  I expect my house will get pummelled with slices on number 10, particularly with a Southwest wind.

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2011, 04:29:57 PM »
Is there just five minutes between nines?  ;)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2011, 04:33:50 PM »
Is there just five minutes between nines?  ;)

Take as long as you like, Tony, just please don't hold up play.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2011, 05:09:22 PM »
I'm also thinking that I swap out 1 and 2 to be 10 and 11 respectively.  The flow to 3 and 12 would work a little better, and you save the epic "sand belt" nature of #2 for later on in the round as that hole looks to play thru Nebraska and eastern Colorado! :)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2011, 05:35:03 PM »
I'm also thinking that I swap out 1 and 2 to be 10 and 11 respectively.  The flow to 3 and 12 would work a little better, and you save the epic "sand belt" nature of #2 for later on in the round as that hole looks to play thru Nebraska and eastern Colorado! :)

Suggestions of this nature should be written on a $100 bill and mailed to the architect.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back