News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Dunlop White III's Anatomy of a Restoration...
« on: January 14, 2002, 08:27:22 AM »
...is now posted under In My Opinion.

In it, he walks through many of the significant issues that must be dealt with during a restoration including tree removal, building a masterplan, bunker positions, tee boxes, green sizes, maintenance practices, and even flag sticks!

The indepth points that he covers would serve as a great platform for discussion at a countless club board meetings around the world.

Cheers,
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Rich_Goodale

Re: Dunlop White III's Anatomy of a Restoration...
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2002, 09:44:08 AM »
This is a momumental work which, along with Jeremy Glen's evolving thread of the "reverse" course at St. Andrews proves to me that the best thinking on this site comes from people who can divorce themselves from the petty disputes as to the "naturalness" of two little bumps of land in the North of England or the runic writings of a long deceased architect and writer who built or found two slightly bigger ones on a long deceased golf course.

While hypothetical and somewhat "virtual", what Dunlop White presents is very much reality, and very much relelvant to the interests and concerns of most people on this site.  IMHO, of course.

Thank you Mr. White.

Brett Stein

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2002, 08:34:48 PM »
Many Thanks! This research should make many clubs realize the value of what they had once before.

Tom MacWood (Guest)

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2002, 03:56:01 AM »
Dunolp
Very well done. That is a very thorough well-researched and educational look at restoration, have you had personal experience with a restoration project? What are examples of some of the most successful restoration projects?

Paul Richards

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2002, 04:17:56 AM »
Dunlop:

Excellent work. :)
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Doug Wright

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2002, 04:13:15 PM »
A terrific exposition on trees and the importance of tree removal, among many salient points. Well done indeed!
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Chris Kane

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2002, 02:02:35 AM »
I'm thinking of printing this article and posting it anonymously to my club.  Just what the committee need to see.

Good work.

Mike Clayton

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2002, 03:32:57 AM »
Chris
Just pin it on the noticeboard.

Jeff Rice

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2002, 05:33:42 PM »
This essay is terrific! Who knows the time and research it took to put together such a piece. The pictures compliment the many points of restoration.

If you are an architect Mr. White, III., should all "golden age" courses interested in restoration always follow your many points, or do they specifically apply to the course in your paper. In other words, is restoration a basic formula as you have described or does it depend on the site? The architect? The membership? Etc.

Thanks for an informative read!!!  ;D

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2002, 06:00:32 PM »
Chris Kane,

This is too valueable a document to post anonymously.

To do so would diminish the importance of the piece.

I would suggest that you forward it to your green committee and Board of Directors as a courtesy, indicating that they may find some benefit in reading the enclosed article.

Dunlop_White

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2002, 08:10:40 PM »
Jeff,

Restoration, of course, is site specific. This dissertation simply explains the elements that need to be revived at "Blackacre" to preserve its design interity. Other courses certainly may require different measures of restoration work.

However, you will find that many classic era golf designs do require similar types of restoration. Why? Because of the common evolution of the golf course!

First, it is likely that because of the implimentation of single row irrigation that fairways have been reduced in width and size at your course too. Second, likely your fairways are plush instead of firm. Perhaps through the years there have been some beautification efforts and tree planting committees at your home course as well. Third, bunkers are a high-priced maintenance item, so likely there may have been some covered up or abandoned where you play also. Fourth, because of technology(riding mowers/triplex mowers), I bet your greens have lost there intricate shapes and sizes as well. And finally, I would be surprised if you haven't witnessed a green chairman or two place his own signature on a hole to try to defend par or such. All of the above inevitably affects strategy. All of the above inevitably destroys design integrity and originality. Most all courses inherently evolved this way. Simple as that! So in the restoration business, architects get to cheat, because they know what we are looking for.

Thus, if you want to revive your wide fairways or your green shapes and sizes; if you do want to impliment a tree removal program; if you want to restore some abandoned bunkers, you are right in that the extent or degree of such does depend on the architect and, of course, his client being your membership.

So to answer your questions, there is sort of a formula to restoration that you apply on a case by case basis.

And no, I am not an architect! But I know I would be having alot more fun if I were.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back