News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Terry Thornton

Scotland at last
« on: April 03, 2011, 05:58:01 AM »
Gentlepersons,

Hot on the heels of meeting so many wonderful treehousers at Boomerang Tasmania and surrounding events I am about to embark to Scottish shores for the first time in my life. This sojourn was to be in company with Andrew Summerell but events have conspired to waylay him. Fortunately another friend from Sydney has stepped up to join me.
Because of his flight connections we’ll be starting and finishing in Aberdeen, from June 16 til June 30. Planning still a work in progress, looking to travel as far south as N Berwick and as far north as Dornoch.

Would dearly love to hear from any and all that would like to meet up for golf, whisky educating, storytelling etc. etc.

Terry, Adelaide, Australia.

Melvyn Morrow

Re: Scotland at last
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 07:53:40 AM »

Terry

Let's get the important things sorted first, now pick your golf courses

Melvyn

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 08:00:28 AM »
Terry

Am glad to hear that this is not too far away for you. What course do you plan on trying to visit at this stage ?

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 08:10:43 AM »
Terry,

I do hope that you paid due attention to my outlandish mutterings out on the playing green at Barnbougle and having been thus tutored are well prepared for the dulcet tones of the good burghers living on the  East Coast of Scotland. Whether or not you internalised enough to allow you to make sense of the crack whilst "whisky educating, (and) storytelling" is taking place remains to be seen/heard! Have a wonderful time.

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Terry Thornton

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 08:16:27 AM »
Melvyn/Kevin

I have a list ranging geographically from Brora to N Berwick.

Don't know how many I'll fit in but they'll come from;
Brora
Golspie
Dornoch
Tain
Tarbat
Fortrose & Rosemarkie
Nairn
Hopeman
Moray
Spey Bay
Strathlene
Cullen
Fraserburgh
Inverallochy
Peterhead
Cruden Bay
Newburgh
R Aberdeen
Murcar
Montrose
Arbroath
Carnoustie
Monifieth
Panmure
St Andrews
Crail
Elie
Lundin
Leven
Musselburgh
Luffness
N Berwick
Dunbar

I'm a 36 a day bloke, my travelling companion not so much.

Melvyn, that may be the most beautiful map I've ever seen

Planning on staying in 3 areas, Dornoch, Aberdeen, St Andrews.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 08:28:21 AM by Terry Thornton »

Terry Thornton

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 08:19:33 AM »
Colin,
I understood at least 51% of what you had to say at Barny, reckon I'll get by...

SBS TV is currently showing a history of Scotland series, been watching that for the language as much for the stunning scenery

Stan Dodd

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 08:39:57 AM »
Terry,
I will be in Dornoch during your trip.  Please contact me.
Stan

Niall C

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 08:47:17 AM »
Terry

With regards to understanding the locals, you'll find it a lot easier when you're down in East Lothian or Fife. Round Aberdeen and the Moray coast you will be lucky if you understand one word in four. I say that as a native of the west of Scotland and I struggle at times to understand them. Over Inverness way you should be OK again. Probably best to drink heavily, that way everyone understands each other.

If you're looking to do a distillery tour or two you will find that half Scotlands distilleries are in Speyside (Moray) which is roughly the area inland from Spey Bay and around Dufftown, Keith etc.

As for the courses, I'm very pleased to see you've not just gone for the obvious tourist haunts. I also note that they are all on the coast. Can I suggest a few others that are well worth a visit. Duff House Royal, a cracking Mackenzie course that shows what can be done with a relatively flat site. you can't see the sea as such but sits on the mouth of the river Deveron off the A96. Also Elgin and Forres are a couple of heathland type courses well worth playing and not far from Nairn and Moray GC.

I'm based in Elgin and happy to hook up when you're passing through. How many are there in the group ?

Niall

Terry Thornton

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 09:08:04 AM »
Thanks Niall, there are 2 of us.

I've purposely targetted coastal links this trip as a 'theme'. (I'm hoping to be a semi-regular visitor to your shores as I get closer to retirement) Nothing set in stone however and recent discussion on Pitreavie and Duff House Royal have piqued my interest.

Will let you know when we have dates for being in your area.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 05:36:05 PM »
Terry,
if you've got some time whilst in Fife, I'd be up for a Round somewhere. Happy to host at Balbirnie if you can tear yourself away from the Coast!!!
cheers,
FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Terry Thornton

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 06:55:09 PM »
Thanks Marty,

your name came up in conversation with James Bennet the other day. He reckons we'd get on well because we're the same age and height........hopefully you like golf as well.

Will contact you when we've finalised dates for Fife.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 07:24:22 PM »
Terry,
any pal of the Bennett's is a pal o'mine! We just traded a couple of PM's.
Just occured to me that maybe YOU should find some time to play Thornton Golf Club while you're here!!! Not exactly top-tier, but a decent enough wee town course. And luckily Nancy is a member! (it's about a ten minute drive from here).
We'll sort something out anyway,
cheers,
MB.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

paul westland

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2011, 07:52:05 PM »
Count me in, as a fan of the Montrose, Royal Aberdeen-Murcar, Cruden Bay route. St Olaf nine @ Cruden is a sweet treat as well.
Easy to get here to there...
Enjoy selves!

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011, 01:17:02 AM »
Terry, I went to Scotland for a similar time span. From the list you gave, I played or looked around:

Brora x1
Golspie x1
Dornoch x2
Tain peeked
Nairn x1
Cruden Bay x2
R Aberdeen x1
Murcar walked during tourney

Carnoustie 1x
Panmure 1x
St Andrews old, new, eden, castle 1x each
Crail 1x each on Balcombie and Craigshead courses
Elie peeked
Lundin 1x
N Berwick 1x

A few others you omitted:
Gleneagles King & Queen
Muirfield
Castle Stuart(toured before opening)
Kingsbarn
Gullen #1 and #2.

Red = must play if able Orange = strongly recommended for unique experience if wallet allows.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 01:20:55 AM by Kyle Henderson »
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Terry Thornton

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2011, 06:38:36 AM »
Thanks Kyle, strangely enough I looked at this;
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,38480.0.html
as part of my research

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2011, 09:29:03 AM »
Terry

Another map, but this time to do with golf

Please find below a selection of regional maps showing the golf courses in Scotland. Hopefully will give you an idea of distance and location of those you wish to visit.

The Regional Map of Scotland

The North

The East

The West

The above, I hope will be of some assistance in planning trips and selecting courses. Take you time and have fun

Melvyn

East Lothian Map

« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 09:37:02 AM by Melvyn Hunter Morrow »

Richard Phinney

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2011, 11:39:10 AM »
If you are coming to Montrose - please by my guests....

Chris Shaida

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2011, 12:03:26 PM »
Just got back from over three weeks in Edinburgh.  I was working but managed to get some golf in (!?).  Melvyn and Sean Arble were very kind to provide advice and information.  Melvyn has already chimed in above so I'll pass along a primary piece of advice from Sean which was to make sure to visit Archie Baird and his collection in Gullane.  (thank you for the advice Sean!)

http://www.heritageofgolf.org/index.htm

Archie was generous with his time and is fantastically engaged with the history and lore of golf--he showed his museum to a colleague of mine and me, he invited me along on a little escapade to St Andrews (not golf playing but certainly golf related) and he was even willing to show me the collection again when I brought my son back several weeks later.  Fantastic stuff!

Also, if you have any interest in hickories there is still one remaining hickory manufacturer in Scotland--St Andrews Golf Co.  I spent an hour or so with Hamish Steedman (after an introduction from Archie).  Quite cool (if you have an interest in that direction).

http://www.standrewsgolfco.com/

Stan Dodd

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2011, 12:11:04 PM »
Terry,
Take Richard up on Montrose.  Great fun and off the golf tourist radar.  Much like Panmure, doesn't get a lot of ink but has some very good to great golf.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2011, 01:33:14 PM »

Chris

Please you enjoyed yourself and just a little reminder of St Andrews  click the links below.

To those interested and want to check out St Andrews Golf Co see the link for Home of Golf TV http://www.homeofgolf.tv/2009/03/02/st-andrews-golf-company-episode-3/.

Melvyn

Terry Thornton

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2011, 01:40:52 PM »
Thank you all for the replies, emails, IM’s; quite overwhelming and welcoming.

Have been spending many hours with timetables, maps, trip planners, golf books etc spread far and wide. If the actuality is half as good as the planning I may not come home from this trip.

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2011, 06:29:30 AM »
Terry,
I had to chuckle when you said “If the actuality is half as good as the planning I may not come home from this trip.”

You can be grateful that your trip just manages to miss overlapping with that of Mac Plumart. I suspect that if the both of you had bumped into each other on Crail or North Berwick your loved ones could have kissed you good-bye! Mac P has gotten so excited he’s confusing his Mondays with his Sundays.....believe me.

I just love the enthusiasm. That whole East coast sparkles with gems...ooohh I think I'm getting maudlin'.....must be time for a wee malt and a visit.

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Chris Shaida

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2011, 09:05:25 AM »
Terry,
I had to chuckle when you said “If the actuality is half as good as the planning I may not come home from this trip.”

Well, just speaking for myself...if I didn't have a wife, kids, dogs, house, job, cars...I wouldn't have come home! 

I took a sunday bag with 9 clubs (well, 8 on Gullane #3 since at Sean Arble's suggestion I left the driver out and had a lovely time playing #3 (3 times!over the course of several weeks) with a hybrid and irons), carried every round (oh, I hope Melvyn is proud of me!) and could easily spend the rest of my days playing golf in East Lothian.

Terry, you'll probably be arranging a whirlwind--as many courses in as many places as possible--trip but if you had any interest in parking yourself in Edinburgh for a few days (fabulous city, elegant architecture, abundant good food, walk everywhere) it is quite possible to use buses and trains to get to most of the East Lothian courses.  It's actually quite cool (and was for me quite liberating) to throw a bag over your shoulder, hop on a bus/train, hop off 30 or 45 or 60 minutes later and walk to the first tee! If you're at all interested pm me and I can give you places to stay in Edinburgh, train and bus info, etc.

Terry Thornton

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2011, 09:36:33 AM »
Colin, how long since you've been to Dundee?

Chris, you're correct in us trying to squeeze a fair bit out of this trip. I also carry mostly and have caught trains in Sydney and Melbourne and a river ferry in Brisbane to get to or from golf on a few ocassions. You'd have thought I was dressed in a kangaroo costume the looks I got, not sure why people found it odd.
If we do end up basing ourselves in Edinburgh I'll shoot you a message.

Terry Thornton

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2011, 08:45:18 AM »
St Andrews question for those in the know;

I’m trying to decide between 2 periods of 4 days each which one to spend in the St. Andrews area, either 22/6-25/6 or 26/6-29/6. When I do a search for New, Eden and Jubilee course on-line bookings on the standrews.org.uk website it shows availability during the latter block for Eden & Jubilee. For the first block only 25/6 shows times available. Neither period shows up any times for New.

Are only a certain number of bookings for these courses set aside for on-line and the remainder allocated on the day, or would all times already be taken up all day?
A check on ‘Busy Dates 2011’ doesn’t show up any obvious problem.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back