News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jaeger Kovich

Re: Some thoughts on Visual Acuity - Visual Overload
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2011, 08:01:34 PM »
Kelly - I knew something like that was coming! ... I think both decisions on scale were made with site and surrounds in mind in order to achieve the artists desired impact on the participant.

PS Food is not art.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 08:12:30 PM by Jaeger Kovich »

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2011, 10:45:33 PM »
Thank you for that link, Lynn - I enjoyed it and learned from it re environment and sustainability. I also liked this:

"Architects belong to a profession that strives for increasing amounts of creative input, accompanied by, and resulting in more modelling, more engineering and perhaps more artificiality. From hand labour to horses and carts, via rudimentary mechanical equipment to bulldozers and trucks – has it become all too easy to snap our architectural fingers and command the earth? Have we lost sight of the beauty in simplicity? Are architects still capable of designing a good golf course that has minimal environmental impact and supports the principles and practices of sustainability?"

I'm not sure of the answers to those 3 questions.  But I think that, as with film makers and doctors and government workers, when they get a new 'technology' in their hands, it is the rare gca who has the discipline NOT to use it.

Peter
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 10:51:22 PM by PPallotta »

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2011, 05:03:37 PM »
Perfect timing with that article! Its funny because I would never have likened any golf course to "A Gehry"... whatever that means... I'm way more interested in what this Sampson guy does in Cali rather than his crack pot analogies between golf course design and building architecture. Who does things like that ;D

I find so much of what has been said here to be so similar, yet applied, viewed and experienced in so many different ways. What may look like a space ship to some, has become part of everyday life to the people who live there. Its funny you pick Palladio, the symmetry would absolutely drive me up the walls and make me sick! Puke!...You could start the whole technology argument again here because these guys certainly took some wild measurements to find their harmonious symmetry or whatever they call it!.. But isn't what he is saying about the experiencing it at different times the same as what I said about Bilbao?

In the words of Ron Burgundy "Agree to disagree?"

David Harshbarger

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2011, 08:51:32 PM »
As a thought experiment, what would a Gehry course be like? Is it a Putt-Putt Course?  It can't just be railroad ties and artificial ponds.  What is it?
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2011, 11:05:12 PM »
As a thought experiment, what would a Gehry course be like? Is it a Putt-Putt Course?  It can't just be railroad ties and artificial ponds.  What is it?

If you insist I play this "Gehry Course" game I might say Lido, but I dont think this game really works.

Kelly - I bet Palladio's head would explode if he saw the randomness of the old course!.. woo-saw

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back