News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Kline

Re: General Survey – Have you played a Links Course?
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2011, 07:15:27 AM »
I have made four trips to the UK and Ireland and have only played links courses on those trips.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2011, 10:44:21 AM »
I have made four trips to the UK and Ireland and have only played links courses on those trips.

Now Steve, you could stand to edit that sentence, because it reads like you are denying that your Bandon experience was playing links golf.

I have played links at Chambers Bay.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Carr Harris

« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2011, 10:53:55 AM »
I have played the most venerable links course of them all...

Whistling Straits

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2011, 10:54:45 AM »
Garland,
Don't agree...don't see how one could read that into the sentence. There is no parentheses, no capitalization, no italics.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Jim Tang

« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2011, 11:07:37 AM »
I love links golf!  Ballybunion, RCD, Portrush and Lahinch.  Pacific/Bandon Dunes and Ballyneal. 

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2011, 11:20:43 AM »
I've never played links golf, living as I do landlocked in the middle of England.

My nearest links course (Royal Liverpool) is nearly an hour's drive away. I really must make the effort though, one of these days...

Carl Johnson

« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2011, 11:39:34 AM »
I've played many of the usual suspects in Scotland and in a couple of months will play (if all goes as planned) many of the usual suspects in Northern Ireland.  I'd play links courses all the time if I could, but piedmont North Carolina does not offer such opportunities.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 11:55:26 AM by Carl Johnson »

Richard Choi

« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2011, 11:42:26 AM »
Going by Melvyn's definition, Chambers does not qualify as it does not go out and back. The same goes for Bandon Dunes and Old Macdonald.

Obviously, the landlocked courses like Ballyneal an Sand Hills are out (and courses in sand belt region in AU). Trees eliminate Bandon Trails and Pacific Dunes.

The courses with bentgrass would be out since they would only be firm few months out of the year, so you can take out the ones in Long Island (like Shinny, NGLA, etc.).

I am trying to figure out if ANY course in North America fits the bill, but I don't think I know of any.

So, unless you made a trek out to Scotland, I doubt that you have "played a links" in Melvyn's eyes.

Brad Isaacs

« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2011, 11:49:13 AM »
Played a number of the classics over on the other side of the pond.  

Is Muirfield a links course?............. not really but an incredible golf experience
Is Sandhills ?  .................. Not really but really good experience
Dismal?...........  No
Pebble? ....... Not even close
Links at Spanish Bay?..........closer thanPebble but no
Bandon dunes and Pacific Dunes? ............. I would say yes
Old Head?  ........no
Carnoustie? ........yes
Is Tralee ?

Doak is TOC as Coore/Crenshaw is to Muirfield .... A compliment to both

Doak is to the Old Course as Coore/Crenshaw is to Muirfield .........I would say a compliment to both.

Tim Johnson

« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2011, 12:37:20 PM »
I have played 38 links courses over the years and certainly look forward to Ireland May 2012(and Carne's new 9).
Love the park land courses but a links course is always a special day.

I would agree with the routing comments, while out and back is the traditional links course, looping to the clubhouse should not discredit certain links course.

Only one true links course in Canada and it is not even open yet. Cabot Links sure looks to be a great course and have added it to my list.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2011, 01:10:42 PM »
I've never played links golf, living as I do landlocked in the middle of England.

My nearest links course (Royal Liverpool) is nearly an hour's drive away. I really must make the effort though, one of these days...

And hopefully play Wallasey going or coming back.  It's also in the Wirral and is a lot of fun.

Gary Slatter

« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2011, 01:23:59 PM »
Melvyn, further to my confirmation that I have played links courses - approx 300 rounds on 39 links courses from TRUE LINKS definition.
I also like sea-side cliff top type courses which do not always qualify.

Sam Torrance once mentioned that links courses are too hard on his wrists (as he gets older).  anyone else find this so?   
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #62 on: April 03, 2011, 01:25:39 PM »
Melvin,

I have been fortunate enough to play links courses on four different Continents, and I had just as much fun on the other three Continents as I did in Scotland!
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #63 on: April 03, 2011, 01:33:05 PM »

Great stuff Gentlemen, keep it coming

Gary

Interesting point as Young Tommy was known for his strong wrists and hands. He was reputed to be able to break a head of a club by just wiggling it back and forth. Sam may have something there.

Melvyn

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #64 on: April 03, 2011, 01:39:05 PM »
I've played the following links courses:
Pacific Dunes
Bandon Dunes
Cape Breton Highlands Links
Bandon Trails, some of its holes are links
I've walked Pine Valley

Will Peterson

« Reply #65 on: April 03, 2011, 09:41:07 PM »
I've played the Old, New, Jubilee, and Eden at St. Andrews, Carnoustie, Deal, and Sandwich.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #66 on: April 04, 2011, 01:01:19 AM »
Garland,
Don't agree...don't see how one could read that into the sentence. There is no parentheses, no capitalization, no italics.

Oh, I get it. Bandon is in Scotland.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #67 on: April 04, 2011, 01:07:40 AM »
Going by Melvyn's definition, Chambers does not qualify as it does not go out and back. The same goes for Bandon Dunes and Old Macdonald.

A little refresher for you Rich.

I believe Melvyn indicated his were only rules of thumb not to be taken as the letter of the law. So I will insist on Chambers Bay being a links. Fescue on sand next to the sea subject to windy fronts. What's not to like about that.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 01:13:46 AM by Garland Bayley »

Mark Pearce

« Reply #68 on: April 04, 2011, 03:26:35 AM »
Is Muirfield a links course?............. not really but an incredible golf experience

Doak is TOC as Coore/Crenshaw is to Muirfield .... A compliment to both

Doak is to the Old Course as Coore/Crenshaw is to Muirfield .........I would say a compliment to both.
WTF?

Someone better tell the R&A.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #69 on: April 04, 2011, 06:51:12 AM »
Mark

Why waste any effort in telling The R&A, they will not hear you, unless your name starts  with HRH Prince…., even then they only hear what they want.

The R&A portray the classic image of the Ostrich with its head in the sand linked in to Rip Van Winkle sleeping  mode.

Technology Dept R&A

Found outside The R&A

Why do anything if you can put if off for a Century. Remember their hasty decisions have changed the face of golf i.e. allowing carts and distance aids, so we should give them some time to chew the cud.

Melvyn

Mark Pearce

« Reply #70 on: April 04, 2011, 07:06:06 AM »
Melvyn,

The R&A makes a point of only playing the Open on links courses.  Brad tells us, in what will be a shocking piece of news for many (not least the membership of The Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers), that Muirfield is not a links course.  The Open is due to return to Muirfield in 2013.  There is still a chance for the R&A to move the tournament to save repeating the error.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #71 on: April 04, 2011, 07:20:31 AM »
Mark

Let’s just feel sorry for Brad as it seems he has not seen that many Links courses and that history seem also to be against him.  ;)

AS for The R&A, I respect Prestwick more as they are the true fathers of The Open, love St Andrews but The R&A need to do better, in fact much, much, much better. In fact their record over the last 100+ years has not been good reading - smacks of George III in nearly every count.

I have no doubt that in their own mind they are respectable, but they have consistently taken the wrong path IMHO, which I feel is also borne out by their own record.  :'(

As for The Open it is a Links Tournament and should remain so. Muirfield all one needs to say is "Remember 1896"  8)

Melvyn

Adam Clayman

« Reply #72 on: April 04, 2011, 08:01:07 AM »
In fact their record over the last 100+ years has not been good reading - smacks of George III in nearly every count.

Melvyn, For those of us less familiar, could you elaborate?

Also, While you have requested everyone to not get bogged down in debating the definition of a links course, I truthfully don't see how one cannot.

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #73 on: April 04, 2011, 08:16:53 AM »

Adam

George III 
Regarded as Mad, poor administration and lost part of North American to the Crown.
I feel the R&A were mad to allow carts, distance aids; their very poor administration, just look at the ball fiasco from the turn of the Century until mid-1930’s and again losing part of North America. 

As for the definition please do as you wish, it’s just that I will not get bogged down in the definition as that was not my question. If you do feel it relative then please be my guest and develop it as you will.

Melvyn

Brad Isaacs

« Reply #74 on: April 04, 2011, 09:37:55 AM »
Ballybunion old and new, Lahinch, Tralee, Waterville, European Club, Portmarnock, (also G&H), Island Club (really love this one ), Batray or County Louth, Royal County Down, Royal Portrush, Doonbeg, turnberry, Royal Troon (once was enough), Western Gailes, N Berwick, Muirfield although is it any more links that its neighbor Renaisance Club, also played, old course and a couple of the other at St Andrews,  carnoustie, Kingsbarns ???, All of Bandon, Cambers Bay, Ballyneal, are all that I can readily recall in this 5 minute period and most above more than once. I am missing Nortwest Ireland but scheduled.  Northeast Scotland missing and just cant wait for the Donalds course, (wonder if Doak will have to resurrect that course as well?) So I guess I really have not played that many links courses Melvyn. Sorry

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back