News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Colton

Re: Worst Club logo's
« Reply #75 on: April 07, 2011, 08:34:59 AM »
While we're on the subject, how about a logo design contest for Foulpointe?

Joe Sponcia

« Reply #76 on: April 07, 2011, 02:45:44 PM »
Mr. Stiles,

I didn't include any logo's from across the pond because some actually have castles close or on-site.  I just don't get it when a club founded in 1940, includes those hideous items on their logo when something simple and not so pretentious would suffice?

Joe 
Joe

"If the hole is well designed, a fairway can't be too wide".

- Mike Nuzzo

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #77 on: April 07, 2011, 04:06:19 PM »
John of course Deal has a shield but then it does have a little historical relevance;

The Cinque Ports have exercised the right to use a coat of arms for many hundreds of years; long before the College of Heralds was established to regulate the use of armorial bearings. Early common seals of the towns of Dover and Hastings suggest that the device of three lions passant guardant conjoined to as many ship’s hulls came into use between 1194 and 1305, possibly during the reign of King Edward I (1272 to 1307).

Rather than make up something false the old clubs were drawing on their local history and heraldic shields go back to 1127!
Cave Nil Vino

Tony Weiler

« Reply #78 on: April 07, 2011, 05:05:08 PM »
That Enniscrone one is so bad.  For some reason I don't really mind the Doak Course logos from Down Under. 

As for favorites, I too like the Sand Hills logo for it's simplicity.  Same reason I didn't mind the cabins.  I also like Ballyneal's.  I'm horrible at pics, can someone post it?  I love the B in the yucca plant.  Just perfect. 

Eric Smith

« Reply #79 on: April 07, 2011, 05:33:05 PM »

As for favorites, I too like the Sand Hills logo for it's simplicity.

I agree, Tony - that logo looks good on anything.

Tim Martin

« Reply #80 on: April 07, 2011, 05:36:56 PM »

As for favorites, I too like the Sand Hills logo for it's simplicity.

I agree, Tony - that logo looks good on anything.

Guys-I agree-less is more when it comes to logos.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #81 on: April 07, 2011, 05:41:06 PM »
Joe,

I enjoyed your blog on the subject.  A few thoughts,

While I don't know who designed logos of yesteryear, I believe most current ones are designed by the shirt companies gratis or low cost with the primary aim of selling their shirts.  So, the basic motives have gone commerical, but that is also true of the public courses who have to sell their shirts to one customer at a time, and much like their courses, look for a "signature" logo that stands out visually at first glance.  And any logo must stand out on a variety of shirt colors now, whereas I presume white and gray were the most likely golf shirts of an earlier era.  (maybe tan and olive?)

Maybe its just a sign of the times.  I will note that many courses try a few different logos out now, and settle on the final based on the first year of sales.  Some still keep some variations, which kind of dilutes the brand a bit.

Not sure exactly what old private club logos were intended to do, other than perhaps signify snobbery.  Different eras do seem to have a certain trends to them, with Sand Hills updating the old simple look, trying to convey a feel of the old time classic to match the course (I presume)

You can almost tell the era by the logo, much like the muted Apple logo.  Almost like the 60's era NHL expansion teams (Flyers Orange) vs either the original six or modern teams, like teal clad Sharks.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Sean_A

« Reply #82 on: April 07, 2011, 08:03:00 PM »
I've always liked Troon's logo.

I also like Huntercombe's although this has only been a recent conversion. 

Ciao
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 08:05:14 PM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #83 on: April 08, 2011, 04:56:34 PM »
There are a number of logos for Arizona clubs that I think are pretty good.

Troon's quail logo, Troon North's horned toad, the evry simply boulder pile for The Boulders, the clumped saguaro of Estancia, the Frank Lloyd Wright quality of Desert Forest ...

but there's also one of the lamest I can think of, which is The Rim Club, in Payson. It's not even a logo as such, just the club name rendered in what looks an awful lot like the old Papyrus font. So boring.

David Whitmer

« Reply #84 on: April 08, 2011, 05:16:30 PM »
What goes on behind closed doors at Inverness?

I believe the club adopted the logo from its namesake, the town of Inverness, Scotland. I think it's the town's crest. Similar to Coldstream CC here in Cincinnati...the club got its name and logo from the Coldstream Guards.

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #85 on: June 04, 2011, 04:08:19 PM »
What logo is this? I don't recognize it.

JC Jones

« Reply #86 on: June 04, 2011, 04:18:25 PM »
Fishers Island
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #87 on: June 04, 2011, 04:52:47 PM »
Found the ball today at CC Spartanburg (SC). 

Sean_A

« Reply #88 on: June 04, 2011, 06:21:25 PM »
This one too has long been one of my favourites.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #89 on: June 04, 2011, 06:58:28 PM »

We have some of the smartest people on the planet contributing to this site but their reading comprehension is awful.

We were asked to render our choice of the worst logo; we got as many "loves" as "hates."

There was an earlier thread on the best, why do we duplicate things?

Bob

Jim Nelson

« Reply #90 on: June 04, 2011, 07:12:34 PM »
How about the worst application of a logo.  I hurriedly purchased a vest from Royal County Down, not looking at the quality of the embroidery.  Taking it out at home, I realized the script was unreadable.  I could only figure out the logo because I remembered the vest.  Waste of money. 
I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world.  This makes it hard to plan the day.  E. B. White

Jim Jackson

Re: Worst Club logos
« Reply #91 on: June 04, 2011, 08:17:40 PM »
While we're tackling semantics, may I suggest that the "logo" is not posessive, therefore the title should be "Worst Club Logos"

And I beg to differ about Pasatiempo; that little guy under the tree captures the name and feel of the place perfectly.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #92 on: June 04, 2011, 09:43:51 PM »
The day I played at Crail it was freezing and windy.  So I bought a sweater at the club to put on under my wet weather gear.  Upon returning to the hotel after the round, my wife cracked up and asked me what was up with that logo.  She's right, as good as the golf is at Crail...the logo on that sweater needs some toning down!!   :)
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Robert Thompson

« Reply #93 on: June 05, 2011, 12:25:09 AM »
I loved the course and would have bought a shirt -- but the logo reminded me of a retirement complex in Floriday.

Come on, not even a contest. Top something course in Ireland and Europe. I am a member so I am allowed to say it, and yes I have suggested.....

I think we have a winner!
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

Cristian

Re: Worst Club logo's New
« Reply #94 on: June 05, 2011, 12:21:37 PM »
While we're on the subject, how about a logo design contest for Foulpointe?

Perhaps something like this?

« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 12:29:18 PM by Cristian Willaert »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back