News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Sponcia

Worst Club logos New
« on: April 02, 2011, 08:42:41 AM »
Gentlemen,

I am in the process of writing an article about golf club logo's and was wondering what are the worst in your opinion.  I actually had the article penned (or typed I should say) and my computer was stolen.

I love the simple logo's of clubs like Cherry Hills, Winged Foot, Fishers Island, Cherokee, The Honors...just to name a few and think clubs like:

Trump, Royal Oaks, Dallas Country Club, Pine lakes..etc. are a bit gaudy.  

I can't stand going to a nice club and then seeing a 3 inch logo donned with a shield, knights head or crown, or worse a castle on the sleeve...but it happens.

I look forward to your replies.

Joe
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 11:20:47 PM by Joe Sponcia »
Joe

"If the hole is well designed, a fairway can't be too wide".

- Mike Nuzzo

Mac Plumart

Re: Worst Club logo's
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 08:46:49 AM »
I don't know the answers, but Old Sandwich COULD adopt one that would be hands down the worst...or best, I suppose, depending on how you look at it.  :)
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Jim Colton

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 09:11:47 AM »
Joe,

I had thoughts of something similar, and was actually going to build a facemash (if you saw The Social Network) type of experiment for golf course logos to determine the best and worst.

My vote for the best: NGLA

My vote for the worst: Butler National

« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 09:40:20 AM by Jim Colton »

Sam Morrow

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 09:13:13 AM »
Dallas Country Club has a logo that looks like lots of old clubs. Now if you're talking about the logo for Royal Oaks in Dallas it's a good one, it's very simple.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 09:30:50 AM »
Joe,

I had thoughts of something similar, and was actually going to build a facemash (if you saw The Social Network) type of experiment for golf course logos to determine the best and worst.

My vote for the best: NGLA
My vote for the worst: Butler National

Butler's is pretty bad.  My club, for reasons that are beyond me, decided last year that we needed a new logo that better reflects what is distinctive about the club.  The result might win this thread.  I would never complain, however, since I contributed nothing to the process. . . .

Ron Csigo

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 09:35:50 AM »
Some of the best:  ANGC, Maidstone, Friar's Head & LACC.

On the other hand, the Riviera logo could be enhanced, IMHO.

Also, Inverness has a logo with a lot going on.

Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Jim Colton

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 09:39:07 AM »
Ron,

I agree Maidstone's is great.

JC Jones

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 09:43:52 AM »
Seminole is great.  Sugarloaf Mountain is so gawd awful it causes reflux.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Ron Csigo

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 09:59:51 AM »
It may not be the worst logo of all time, but the most insipid and disappointing relative to the charm of the golf course is Swinley Forest - I dare say there are a fair few resort courses in the States with a similar image of a couple of Pine Trees.   

+1

Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, 10:03:45 AM »
Never cared all that much for this - just way too busy::

Not to mention it looks a lot like Herb Kohler himself (probably not a coincidence):

Jim Colton

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2011, 10:16:05 AM »
Any else notice Dormie Club's looks an awful lot like Friars Head logo? In fact, Dormie could easily be a candidate for this thread.  If you're going to use a standalone flag image, shouldn't it be unique and synonymous to the club, like FH or Merion? I see the basic red flag and don't instantly think Dormie Club; I think front pin position.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 10:19:37 AM by Jim Colton »

JC Jones

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2011, 10:41:13 AM »
I've heard this before regarding Dormie Club and I guess other than the stick having alternate colors, I don't see much to compare.

If it is any consolation, the actual flagsticks at Dormie are black/white barbershop with a red flag.  Maybe they are hoping it will become synonymous.  Maybe it is unique it its simplicity.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011, 10:49:42 AM »
I suppose if you are obligated to by a shirt after a comped round this would be an issue.  The New South Wales logo is so ugly that my wife took a picture of me wearing the shirt just to prove to my daughter that I didn't hate it.

JC Jones

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2011, 10:52:24 AM »
I suppose if you are obligated to by a shirt after a comped round this would be an issue.  The New South Wales logo is so ugly that my wife took a picture of me wearing the shirt just to prove to my daughter that I didn't hate it.

If that's the case you must have hundreds of shirts.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2011, 10:57:38 AM »
I do and will give them away as soon as my publicist issues a press release.

Eric_Terhorst

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2011, 11:01:28 AM »
What goes on behind closed doors at Inverness?

Mac Plumart

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2011, 01:12:39 PM »
Any else notice Dormie Club's looks an awful lot like Friars Head logo? In fact, Dormie could easily be a candidate for this thread.  If you're going to use a standalone flag image, shouldn't it be unique and synonymous to the club, like FH or Merion? I see the basic red flag and don't instantly think Dormie Club; I think front pin position.

To show what kind of "great" taste I have, I actually love The Dormie's logo.  :)

Ed Oden

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2011, 01:25:21 PM »
I'll probably take some heat for this, but I'm not a fan of the Sand Hills logo.  The golf course speaks to me.  The logo has a speech impediment.

Jim Colton

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2011, 01:32:49 PM »
Mac,

I'm all in favor of the simple, singular flag logo (especially in stark contrast to Inverness). I love Friar's Head's logo. I see just Dormie as a poor man's version of the FH one, especially for a flag set-up that I'd probably see at a handful of courses within a 20-mile radius of my house.

Jim

Mac Plumart

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2011, 02:07:05 PM »
I'm laughing so hard at myself right now. 

I actually am wearing my Inverness golf shirt today.  Its got a camel (at least I think it is a camel) and an elephant on it.  WTF!!!  How is that related to Toldeo, Ohio?  How is that related to golf?  Even if it is related to golf and/or Toledo, it doesn't change the fact it is hideous.  I love the course, but c'mon guys, what is up with the logo!!!!

Again, I guess I'm showing my good taste!!! :) :) :)

JMEvensky

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2011, 02:15:15 PM »

I do and will give them away as soon as my publicist issues a press release.

There's a high degree of difficulty in pulling off cross-thread humor,but this is at least a 9.9.

JC Jones

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2011, 02:56:53 PM »
I'll probably take some heat for this, but I'm not a fan of the Sand Hills logo.  The golf course speaks to me.  The logo has a speech impediment.

No heat here.  I tell everyone I don't like the Sand Hills logo and they all give me crap for it.  In fact, the greatest aficionado of logos I've ever known adores the Sand Hills logo.  It baffles me.

mike_beene

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2011, 03:23:08 PM »
I like simple and just looked through some of my divot fixers. brook Hollows cross clubs(think crossed skis after an accident) with the date is good.I really like the simple three pines of Whispering Pines. worst is Edgewood at Tahoe because it looks like some symbol for a sex change.Shady Oaks tree is good.Highlands Links bird is excellent.We just spent money changing ours for the centennial of the club.No,it doesn't say that and it looks close to the original but I bet it sells merchandise like the third uniforms US teams love.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2011, 03:30:27 PM »
Burning Tree's is great.

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2011, 03:32:28 PM »
I never understood the logo for PGA Catalunya in Spain.  It's nice and simple, but I just don't know what it is supposed to be.  A reasonable answer could easily sway my opinion.

And one thought I always thought looked pretty cool was Double Eagle in Ohio.  My only problem is that a friend pointed out that you can't quite tell what's going on behind that first bird's wing, and that first bird does seem to have a look of surprise on his face ;).  Now that's about all I see.  Hopefully most (or all) of you aren't quite as sick as me.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back