News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Re: Need help -- best of England's SE and SW areas ...
« Reply #75 on: April 03, 2011, 07:02:04 PM »
Matt

I can guarantee you major UK mags have covered Cornwall and Devon.  Sometimes when you want to know about a country you have to read the press of that country. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Matt_Ward

« Reply #76 on: April 03, 2011, 08:10:11 PM »
Sean:

Fair enough point -- my journey from the States is to try to eliminate the ignorance that many (myself included) have.

Scott:

Good point. Too often people who travel to my "neck of the woods" in the greater NYC area -- only want to play certain courses. Usually, the elite privates are mentioned from eastern Long Island to those in Westchester and the ones scattered about in Northern NJ. There is way more to the golf scenen than just that.

I'm looking forward to playing the courses and their respective personalities later this year.

Like to get your impressions on Trevose and how it stacks up -- seeing it listed as #65 by the UK's Golf World has me quite interested. I believe the tip tees come in at 6,400+ yards -- no doubt the wind can have a major impact. Comments?

Scott Warren

« Reply #77 on: April 03, 2011, 08:27:27 PM »
Matt,

Trevose is rated 65 by Golf Monthly. Golf World, which is generally considered the more accepted and authoritative ratings provider, has it outside ther Top 100 for GB&I.

It maxes out at a flop shot less than 7000 yards and is a regular gost of major amateur events (Brabazon, McGregor etc).

It's a very good course, IMO, and provides good contrast to St Enodoc just a few miles away.

Holes such as 3-5, 9, 14, 16 and 17 are bloody good, IMO and while a few others are somewhat disappointing, there are a lot of strong holes to support the standouts. I also really liked the routing, which keeps the wind shifting and provides a good mix of uphill, downhill and flat shots.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back