News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matthew Rose

As found as a throwaway quote at the bottom of a golf.com article.

I don't have any context surrounding this quote, but am I curious as to the man's reasoning. The lamentations of a short hitter, perhaps?

American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Sean Leary

He hasn't been to Sagebrush yet.....

Mike Benham

Likely because a +600 yard par 5 is akin to a short-layup par 4 ... which require a challenging approach shot to make interesting.

And most +600 yard par 5s on tour are stretched out 550 yard part 5's that had bigger greens ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Dan Kelly

Mr. Furyk needs to play the 608-yard No. 8 at Sutton Bay -- one of the great "journey" holes, ever.

Even he might smile en route.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Patrick_Mucci

Matt,

While Pine Tree has two par 5's over 600 yards, the 5th at about 520 and the 16th at about 570, I think the 5th may be the better hole.

First, the prevailing winds are usually quartering in your face on # 5, whereas, they're usually helping on # 16.
The green on # 5 is much smaller and protected better by fronting bunkers with a narrow opening.
In addition, there are decisions to be made on the second shot on # 5, where # 16 merely requires you to hit it as far as you can.

The DZ's are similar, although there's probably more trouble on # 16.

Both are good par 5's in excess of 600 yards, with # 5 getting my vote.

Joe Bausch

I wonder what he thinks of the 4th at MEast...
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Terry Lavin

Beverly has two par 5's of that length (11 and 18) and they are both great par 5's.

What about the last par 5 at Olympic Club (16?), I thought that was 600 yards and I definitely remember it was a great hole.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

George Pazin

Obviously Jimbo is in denial, after his near miss at Oakmont. The 12th, the best 3 shot par 5 in golf :) (maybe the best par 5 period!!), clocks in well over 600 yards.

For those who need a refresher:

the wonderful 12th at Oakmont
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tim Martin

Send him to Yale and see what he thinks of the 621 yard finisher. Someone as slow as him may never even get to 18 during daylight. ::)

Philippe Binette

Isn't the 18th at kapalua 663-yards.. i think it,s a great hole

Jim_Kennedy

Dan,
He probably doesn't like 600+ yard 'journeys'  because he forgets where he is due to his overly long pre-shot routine.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Rory Connaughton

Is 9 at Rolling Green over 600?

Andy Stamm

He has a house there. And he talked very fondly of the course during his "Playing Lessons with the Pros" show there.

jonathan_becker

He has a house there. And he talked very fondly of the course during his "Playing Lessons with the Pros" show there.

I would make the assumption about him liking 18 at Kapalua, too.

Also, and this is making another assumption, but being from PA you would think that (as Joe B and George P stated) he would have some love for 4 at Merion and 12 at Oakmont.  Those are two great par 5s!

Joe Bausch

Is 9 at Rolling Green over 600?

Yep, 615 from the edge.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

JSlonis

Has he never played Pine Valley? Not a bad couple of par 5's over 600.  ;) I'd call them great.

JR Potts

The Best hole on property at Medinah may be the 608 yard 9th hole on the #1 course.  And yeah, Pine Valley and Beverly had some pretty good 600+ yard holes if I remember correctly.  Let's not forget about that dog of a hole,#4 at Merion, right Jim?

Scott Szabo

Sand Hills #16 isn't too bad either...
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Jim Colton

As found as a throwaway quote at the bottom of a golf.com article.

I don't have any context surrounding this quote, but am I curious as to the man's reasoning. The lamentations of a short hitter, perhaps?

Matthew,

Might the reason be that pros are conditioned to overpower Par 5's and view them birdie holes?  Maybe he believes that a great par 5 requires that go/no-go risk-reward trade off.

Greg Tallman

We once had a par 5 stretching 626 yards here at Cabo del Sol. That land now has a 196 yard par 3 and a 512 yard par 5. I have yet to see a ball on the par 5 in two shots though it is certainly doable.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back