News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Eric Strulowitz

Raleigh/Durham golf
« on: March 25, 2011, 06:27:53 PM »
Will be going to this area mid summer, would like to stay over for 2-3  days and play some of the local courses.  Would certainly appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks to everyone!

Tom_Doak

Re: Raleigh/Durham golf
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 06:57:23 PM »
Eric:

Did my wife put you up to this?

I got a text from her day before yesterday saying she was sick of shoveling snow while I'm away, and that she wanted to move to Raleigh, N.C.  Which I thought was interesting, considering she doesn't like hot weather, and she's never been there!  But, I replied that I would be happy to move if I could find a golf course I really liked to play there.

Cory Lewis

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 09:05:15 PM »
Depending on where you are in Raleigh, it's less than an hour's drive to Tobacco Road, that would be my best advice.  Otherwise here are my recommendations:

Private:  Raleigh CC, Old Chatham, Hope Valley, Treyburn,

Public: Duke, Finley, Loonie Poole

If you expand your area to Greensboro/Winston-Salem, then Old Town and Sedgefield are must plays.
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Mike Jansen

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 09:22:25 PM »
I can only add that Sedgefield is a remarkable golf course, and well worth the drive if you are able to play.  I have not played the Duke golf course, but it looked great from my hotel window overlooking it.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 09:30:32 PM »
Tom: You could move to Southern Pines and perhaps play a recent C & C renovation with the all-knowing founder of this site. Heck, if it was good enough for Donald Ross I would imagine that it could meet your expectations. I can certainly empathize with your wife about Michigan winters as I have been lobbying my wife to move from Maryland to Charleston, SC but no luck. 

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 10:11:15 PM »
....I would be happy to move if I could find a golf course I really liked to play there.

Tom,

I've lived here since mid-'94.  I know your personal design standards and your personal home-course standard.   I'm guessing you likely don't want to take too much of a 'pay-cut', so to speak, design-wise.   So, based on these criteria, here are my recommendations to you for courses in the R-D area:

<crickets>

An hour south is Dormie Club, which is terrific.  #2 is reborn again (and members can now walk-and-carry!).  Even Forest Creek's pair are good.  Daily diversions include Mid-Pines, Pine Needles, Tobacco Road, and of course, Ran@SP.

And not to rub it in (OK, maybe a little), I played 36 today.  Played 9 after work on Tuesday and Thursday this week.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 10:15:48 PM »
Scott:

Don't need to worry about rubbing it in ... my golf was so bad my last few times out that I do not envy you for playing 36 holes.

My last five rounds were in December and January, but they were at Royal Melbourne, Barnbougle, Lost Farm and Augusta National.  Not to rub it in.  ;)

Maybe I could move to Raleigh and then go build The Carthage Club.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 10:33:42 PM »
My last five rounds were in December and January, but they were at Royal Melbourne, Barnbougle, Lost Farm and Augusta National.  Not to rub it in.  ;)
Very well played.

Maybe I could move to Raleigh and then go build The Carthage Club.
Don't even tease me/us like that.  Granted, I know the original property meant for Carthage Club is also in the Pinehurst area (and probably still undeveloped).

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 10:51:34 PM »
and that she wanted to move to Raleigh, N.C.  Which I thought was interesting, considering she doesn't like hot weather

My inlaws recently moved from Wisconsin to the Carolinas. To quote my mother in law, "It's humid."
Tom, please build The Carthage Club.
I can be in the Pinehurst area in under 3 hours.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back