News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Pittsburgh National GC, formerly Deer Run GC closes?
« on: March 21, 2011, 01:01:30 AM »
I played there years ago.Good daily fee course. Apparently, it fell into decline.:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11079/1133019-136.stm
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

George Pazin

Re: Pittsburgh National GC, formerly Deer Run GC closes?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 11:04:50 AM »
Read this in yesterday's paper. I'll try to swing by sometime in the next week or two, it's not far from me.

For those that haven't clicked the link, Pgh Nat GC (hate the new name) is the former Deer Run GC, designed by western PA architect Ron Forse in the early 90s (I think). It's the second course I had the opportunity to enjoy with JohnV, and home to many good memories of mine (the give me a hug par 3, the 13/2 on successive holes, burying a 90 foot putt, to name just a few). The holes are definitely fun, and the terrain is fairly challenging. It's always been a terrific bargain, something like $27 to walk last time I played there (maybe 4-5 years ago).

There is one hole that has to be seen/experienced to be believed, and I mean that in an odd sense. A short par 4, but you are hitting dead into a very steep hill (one of the steepest uphill holes I've seen on a golf course - check that, definitely THE steepest, not even close). It's an unusual solution to a difficult routing problem (we are blessed with an abundance of hills north of the Burgh). The same hill makes the 9th hole pretty challenging as well.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

astavrides

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 04:11:40 PM »
Sorry to read that about the course.  I played there once (George P. joined me for the back 9) and it was enjoyable.

Steve_ Shaffer

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Jeff Evagues

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 09:40:53 AM »
According to Post Gazette it will reopen next week.
Be the ball

Chris_Blakely

George Pazin

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 10:44:58 AM »
Thanks for the link, Chris.

"He assured me the course will be immaculate by the end of summer," Haddad said of Bucci. "I've played over a thousand golf courses in my life and this is still one of the most magnificent I've ever played."

Juuuust a bit of hyperbole... :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 11:21:56 AM »
Thanks for the link, Chris.

"He assured me the course will be immaculate by the end of summer," Haddad said of Bucci. "I've played over a thousand golf courses in my life and this is still one of the most magnificent I've ever played."

Juuuust a bit of hyperbole... :)

You're welcome.  The quote sounds like something Trump would say!!  ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back