News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Robin

Dallas/Fort Worth
« on: March 20, 2011, 09:06:08 PM »
Heading to Dallas for a few months and looking for opinions of what to make sure I try to play. Appreciate the help.

Matt_Ward

Re: Dallas/Fort Worth
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 09:11:54 PM »
Michael:

Likely Jeff B will weigh in with some clear choices.

If you have the connections it's good to play Dallas National and Colonial -- the former is a modern TF design on a great site and the other is a classic wonder that the Tour visits each year. Hard to beat playing Brook Hollow and Preston Trail -- assuming you can get on them.

The public side is quite good and Jeff can certainly suggest on that front too.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 09:48:21 PM »
I'd look at the following...

private -

Dallas National
Colonial
Brook Hollow
Preston Trail
Lakewood
Vaquero
Shady Oaks
Dallas CC
Northwood

public -

Texas Star
Cowboys
Old American
The Tribute

out of town -
Pine Dunes (public)
Whispering Pines (private)

Steve Lang

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 09:58:20 PM »
 8)..note that distances don't faze Kyle when in search of golf or the green..

Lake Livingston where Whispering Pines is on the north shore, is 80 miles north of Houston and 175 miles south east of Dallas.. so tis just a little out of town from Dallas
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 10:00:25 PM »
8)..note that distances don't faze Kyle when in search of golf or the green..

Lake Livingston where Whispering Pines is on the north shore, is 80 miles north of Houston and 175 miles south east of Dallas.. so tis just a little out of town from Dallas

If he's there for a few months he can make a couple of trips.  He could do a lot worse than a weekend in a cottage in Trinity.

Steve Lang

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 10:19:22 PM »
 8) hey K2..  

following your premise on road trips, then he'd have to head for Crown Colony GC in Lufkin, TX  too..
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 10:22:46 PM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Kirk Gill

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 10:27:05 PM »
Dallas National is a broad-shouldered, difficult course. Matt, I've heard a few folks say that DN is built on a great site, but it seemed like a very hilly site cut by deep valleys, and the lowest part of the course is swampy. Not really sure about the soils there, but it would surprise me, I guess, if it was sandy. Regardless, Michael, I think you'd find yourself a good test there, and a good club atmosphere with excellent practice facilities.

And remember, Austin's only a few hours away.
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Steve Lang

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 10:33:31 PM »
 8) and the Rawls Course in Lubbock is only 330 miles.. just a quick southwest airlines flight away
The voice of Inverness"

mike_beene

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 12:16:48 AM »
michael,I am in Dallas so let me know when you get here.What area will you be in?

Michael Robin

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 12:39:19 AM »
Thanks for these thoughts everyone.

Mike Beene, I'm staying around The Ritz and am all over the place from Downtown, to Arlington, to Plano.

Greg Clark

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 12:47:28 AM »
Michael,

I would add Craig Ranch, The Honors Course and Dallas Athletic Club to the private list.  I also like Stonebridge Ranch - Dye course more than others, but I think it is worth playing.

On the public side I would definitely add Tierra Verde, as well as Tangle Ridge.  The area has a bunch of good and some very good (not great) public options that are very affordable.  I live in the area, so feel free to drop me a note and I can make some recommendations based on where you will be located.  

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 08:57:58 AM »
While you are there, come up to Texarkana andd play Texarkana Country Club...1914 Langford/Moreau design, classic old course.
Juts let me know when you want to come up and play
michael wp

Matt_Ward

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 11:38:27 AM »
Kirk:

"Dallas National is a broad-shouldered, difficult course. Matt, I've heard a few folks say that DN is built on a great site, but it seemed like a very hilly site cut by deep valleys, and the lowest part of the course is swampy."

Kirk, I really liked the course -- no doubt, there was some heavy earthmoving in spots -- likely Jeff B or others more familiar than I can elaborate. The turf was quite firm when I played it and the holes are not the "frame" version that one typically sees with many other TF courses. The greens and the area immediately off them are also far from the basic graden variety and require a deft touch to score.

Hard to imagine a facility of this standing is south of town -- if memory serves, many of the top tier clubs in the Dallas area are north.

Gents:

If one is seriously talking Dallas / Ft Worth then a max 50-75 mile radius would likely work best. Otherwise you might as well as include The Rawls Course and all points in Austin and San Antonio too !

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 11:51:32 AM »
Gents:

If one is seriously talking Dallas / Ft Worth then a max 50-75 mile radius would likely work best. Otherwise you might as well as include The Rawls Course and all points in Austin and San Antonio too !

Pine Dunes and Whispering Pines were both listed as just what they are...out of town.  They are both closer in proximity than Austin, San Antonio, Houston, etc. and are worth thinking of as weekend escapes as they provide a public and private option that can not be surpassed by anything in the metroplex.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2011, 12:01:00 PM »
Kyle:

Help me out -- the title of this thread was ?

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2011, 12:09:14 PM »
Kyle:

Help me out -- the title of this thread was ?

A few months is plenty of time to look around and take advantage of the extended area's best.  It would be different if we were talking about where to play over a weekend, week or month.

What are your thoughts on Pine Dunes and Whispering Pines Matt?  Do you think they are undeserving the excursions when in the area for an extended period?

I guess these rules do not apply to your inclusion of Wolf Creek when contemplating Las Vegas golf?

Sam Morrow

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2011, 12:28:52 PM »
Have to agree with Kyle on this one, yes, Whispering Pines is a bit of a hike but worth it. Pine Dunes is a very reasonable drive and can be made easily. Depending on the time of day going to Pine Dunes wouldn't take much longer than driving from the area around the Ritz to Colonial or Shady Oaks.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2011, 12:41:37 PM »
Whispering Pines is worth a ten hour flight to play never mind the drive from dfw......

Matt_Ward

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2011, 12:45:49 PM »
Kyle:

Big difference between 175 miles from Dallas to WP and a distance of just 70 miles from The Strip to Mesquite -- all via I-15 I might add. Check out mapquest to see what I am saying.

I will be playing WP for the first time in late April and have heard many good reports from those in the know.  Ditto for Pine Dunes.

thanks,

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2011, 01:48:35 PM »
Kyle:

Big difference between 175 miles from Dallas to WP and a distance of just 70 miles from The Strip to Mesquite -- all via I-15 I might add. Check out mapquest to see what I am saying.

I will be playing WP for the first time in late April and have heard many good reports from those in the know.  Ditto for Pine Dunes.

thanks,

I'll look forward to hearing your thoughts when you're able to weigh in so that we can talk golf courses and not driving directions.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2011, 04:14:47 PM »
Kyle:

Happy to oblige -- will be in TX in late April and will report -- anyone in the Austin area that can hook up would be great.

mike_beene

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2011, 09:44:27 PM »
while we are talking drives,it is less than two hours to Dornick Hills.

mike_beene

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2011, 09:47:47 PM »
Michael,you will be near me when you are here.Maybe we could get the Dallas area people together and play some.Then we ought to meet the Houston guys at WP for a grudge match.

John_Conley

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2011, 10:10:16 PM »
Indian Creek.  Have fun.

I second the Tangle Ridge recommendation.

Michael Robin

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2011, 01:59:44 AM »
Thx all for the responses. I'll try to get in touch with those of you in the area for a game.

Here's a question, how warm and stormy is it in late April thru mid May? Doing a lot of work outside that is weather dependent.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back