News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andrew Calcutt

Houston Problem
« on: March 19, 2011, 09:27:51 PM »
To Those Who Have Been or Live in Texas:

What are the best courses in Houston, Texas -- private or public?

Recently, I was invited to be someone's date to an extravagant wedding in Houston
(I think a former president might be in attendance).  Aside from buying myself
a pair of black cowboy boots to wear with my tuxedo I am short on things to do there
because my date is in the wedding and it's an extremely high maintenance affair for
the female bon vivants.

This is from Golf Digest's Top Texas Courses 2007-8:

TEXAS

6. The Club at Carlton Woods (Fazio), The Woodlands

7. The Club at Carlton Woods (Nicklaus), The Woodlands

9. Champions G.C. (Cypress Creek) Houston

14. River Oaks C.C., Houston

26. Royal Oaks C.C., Houston

Read More http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-courses/golf-courses/2007-05/texas#ixzz1H60EdhTR

Any guidance would be spectacular.

Andrew

Steve Kline

Re: Houston Problem
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 09:32:29 PM »
I have played both courses at Carlton. Some decent architecture but not spectacular. The conditioning was fantastic.

mike_beene

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 09:42:40 PM »
maybe this wedding will be be some kind of theme deal,but as someone who has lived in Dallas fifty years,I have never seen anyone wear boots with a tux outside of the Black Tie and Boots presidential balls in DC.And if you are somewhere they are really wearing boots with tuxedos or suits,trying to copy them will result in a severe rear kicking.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 09:45:08 PM »
Andrew - shoot me a message with the dates you'll be in town and I'll help take care of you on and off the course.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 10:21:46 PM by Kyle Krahenbuhl »

Shannon Wheeler

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 09:55:51 PM »
Lochinvar, but your date can't come.

Ben Voelker

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 10:19:47 PM »
Andrew,

I lived in Houston for awhile and played some of the public golf in the area.

I think Memorial Park is worth a play.  It's a muni in the center of town, built in the 1930s and has some interesting holes.

If you are up for a bit more of a drive, The Wilderness about an hour south of town is quite a bit of fun, designed by GCA's own Jeff Brauer.

There is lots of golf up north near the airport as well, none of it great though.  I think Cypresswood is worth a visit if you are looking for a game on your way in or out of town, 54 holes just to the north from IAH.

Good luck and have fun!

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 12:52:07 AM »
Houston is over 100 miles across...
Where are you staying?

If downtown or galleria area, borrow from one of the other guests and play Houston CC or River Oaks.
Might as well keep up the aura of the weekend.

Nothing is better than seeing Mr. Burke hit balls at Champions after he gives you a few life lessons.
Have fun
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Andrew Calcutt

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 04:19:19 AM »
Mike,

For a long enough time I have been the owner of some Justin
cowboy boots.  I've played golf in them. They have treated me well
on horse and through-out many American cities.  I figure Houston is a good
town to support my supply of leather shit-kickers.  If there is a ban against boots
and suits in Houston, I will abide.  Otherwise, I plan to find myself a nice pair of
Texas-made shiny black boots that will help me two-step at the reception.
I could give a damn if some secret service nazi wants to scratch my aligator because
I've offended the Alamo revival militia with my dress code.  And D.C. is about as
cool as WMDs and STDs.

I didn't mean to offend any Texas sensibilities, but was merely trying to
add some character to my post.  If it sounded boastful, I apologize.  Otherwise, I
plan to enjoy myself in the Texas-town and do my best to revive the legend of the
great Waylon as best a Yankee-born southerner can.

God bless the USA,

AC

mike_beene

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 12:33:40 PM »
Andrew,I was about half kidding and half making sure you wouldn't feel out of place if you only knew this area from TV.Also,Houston may be different from Dallas on this,and both places probably hope so.Remember Houston has trees and the feel of the south and Dallas has no trees and more of a mix of south and California.You do sometimes see boots with suits in Ft Worth,but it takes a lot of friends and a passport and a sister who went to TCU for me to get into the Ft Worth city limits.My wife is from Jackson,Miss so I have had exposure to the south. people and regions are interesting and this is all in good fund.No offense taken nor intended.Take Kyle up on his offer.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 12:48:20 PM »
As Mike said Houston is a big city. I think Champions, Cypress Creek and Memorial park are the two you want to see. Lochinvar and 2 courses at Carlton Woods are ok. There are a lot of nice places like River Oaks etc but overall not an inspiring city for design.

Jim Jackson

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 09:27:34 PM »
AC:

I agree with TigerB.  You'll probably be staying in/around the Memorial area, and if that is the case, Memorial Park is a great option, although I always had a hard time getting a tee time as an out of towner, and the list of walk-ups on weekends looking for a game was pretty long.  Of the other courses I've played in the area, I'd suggest Champions-CC.  Golf in this state takes its lumps here and elsewhere, but I think that Champions is a great microcosm of what Texas does well - it's big and burly, but warm and welcoming - and meeting Mr. Burke will be a great bonus, if you're lucky.

Steve Lang

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 09:39:16 PM »
gee,.. just waltz into town and want only the best..  do you have carte blanche or what?

nothing against Memorial, I play there mid-days from work and always walk on, but I wouldn't put it or The Tradition at Cypresswood or Champions ahead of Carlton Woods..

why not ask where the bride's men folk may be playing first???

« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 10:12:31 PM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 10:24:44 PM »
Andrew -

Listen to Kyle K.  He knows of what of he speaks.

WW

Andrew Calcutt

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 10:27:39 AM »
Mike Beene,

No offense taken.  Just having some fun.  I will be on guard though
given the amount of Texas pride I will be up against.  I come from Michigan
and Tennessee, and neither of those places are too short of state pride.
I plan to keep my big mouth shut after a few bourbons about Mr. Jones and
the Cowboys.  I don't need a six-shooter or a high school football state
championship ring in my face.

Mr. Lang -- I would definitely ask the brides men-folk if I knew any of them.
I'm an outsider and my date knows about as much about golf as Gary McCord
does about not being an annoying golf announcer.  But I'm going to work the
wedding angle a little harder.  Given the stature of the wedding, (and my lowly
stature as a human being), I thought I'd go all out and see what big oil money
has done for the course-making.

I'll let y'all know what I find out,

AC

mike_beene

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2011, 02:21:14 PM »
One more thought Andrew:in Houston there wont be a lot of love for Jerry Jones and the cowboys. Nor in Dallas for Jones.Dont talk bad about aggies and you will be OK.It is OK to think they are wierd.they're used to that.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2011, 01:12:48 PM »
I come from Michigan and Tennessee, and neither of those places are too short of state pride.

Nobody comes from Michigan AND Tennessee.  Pick one.

My advice is to spent time trolling for the future Mrs. Calcutt.  Sounds like fertile hunting ground where all your future golf club access issues can be solved.

Good luck there.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Sam Morrow

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2011, 12:36:58 AM »
The Wildnerness is in great shape right now and camo carts are cool.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back