News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

To the architects, if you were
« on: March 08, 2011, 09:59:24 PM »
the owner, developer, architect and builder, what would you design as your legacy to golf and golf course architecture ?

Mike Nuzzo

Re: To the architects, if you were
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 10:54:15 PM »
I would have an easily walked very fun golf course that was built inexpensively and practicallly maintained
the pro would teach everyone how to enjoy the game more - like Will Ellender or Mr. Jackie Burke Jr.
the super would think of the course as a playing surface first - like Don Mahaffey
dogs, kids and elderly would be encouraged to play
there would be no cart paths, ball washers or tee signs - a few benches and cold water fountains
a few carts for those who couldn't play otherwise
and 2 of the solo / wheelchair disability type carts
caddies and pull carts
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

JNC Lyon

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 11:03:50 PM »
I would have an easily walked very fun golf course that was built inexpensively and practicallly maintained
the pro would teach everyone how to enjoy the game more - like Will Ellender or Mr. Jackie Burke Jr.
the super would think of the course as a playing surface first - like Don Mahaffey
dogs, kids and elderly would be encouraged to play
there would be no cart paths, ball washers or tee signs - a few benches and cold water fountains
a few carts for those who couldn't play otherwise
and 2 of the solo / wheelchair disability type carts
caddies and pull carts

This sounds ideal to me.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 06:20:13 AM »
Patrick:

Most of my decisions would be based on the ground -- that is my legacy, in a nutshell.  But I would be very tempted to look for some holes and solutions that I have never got to build anywhere else, either because I never saw the right piece of land, or because it's a type of hole that makes many clients uncomfortable.

The only general criteria I'd have is that the golf course would probably be no more than 6500 yards from the tips, with a par between 67 and 69.  I'm assuming that I'm paying for the maintenance here, and that's the best way to keep the playing areas down to size.  Plus, it's something that nearly all of my clients would consider "too risky" to embrace, even though there are many admirable courses with pars under 70 -- Swinley Forest, Rye, St. Enodoc, etc.  I think it would be very important for someone to demonstrate forcefully to Americans that quality is not all about the total on the scorecard.

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 07:21:07 AM »
Pat,

Good post!

Mike and Tom,

Those observations are just too sensible. Imagine if even 50% of those who are in the game saw what the the two of you stated so clearly. Education and illumination are what is needed. The industry needs to check the greed and look to when the game was healthy for inspiration as to what would be best for the long-term vitality of golf.

Cheers,
Kris
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 08:30:36 AM »
My legacy course would most certainly be public, and no matter what price level, the aim would be for the golfers to think it should cost (or is worth) at least $25 more than it does, even in this economy.

The back tees would be harder to find than Osama Bin Laden, and forward tees shorter than anyone has considered before - like 4000 yards.

It would de-emphasize "championship play" and try to make the label "a course you could play every day" a real badge of honor instead of a subtle backhanded swipe.

And it would include several holes intended to show golfers just how fun golf can be with "alternative" shots.

But Patrick, to be fair, I encourage you to ask this question every few years, as I bet most of us will subtly change what we believe our legacies should be.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Ian Andrew

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 09:18:11 AM »
I can't improve on Tom's post.

I would like to echo his comments on length and par.

Jason Connor

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 09:26:19 AM »
The back tees would be harder to find than Osama Bin Laden, and forward tees shorter than anyone has considered before - like 4000 yards.

I like this idea a lot.  You can take kids to the course and have them drop a ball in the middle of the fairway. But this will make it seem like they're really playing.

And we need to think a lot more about introducing kids to the game.

We discovered that in good company there is no such thing as a bad golf course.  - James Dodson

Philippe Binette

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 01:18:15 PM »
If I was the owner, developer, architect and builder, what would you design as your legacy to golf and golf course architecture ?

The fantasy of being the solo creator of a course would not lead to my best project

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 01:59:51 PM »
I would also be sure to leave a vague project record, so that future David Moriarity's, TMacs, Cirbas, and Mucci's would have lots to argue about......

I would also leave a joke in the design somewhere that might take years to figure out.  At Giant's Ridge, I did the one footprint, but wanted to do another half sticking out of the woods behind 5 green to suggest the monster walking the landscape.  At La Costa, we will have a suspicious mound, and spread the word that Hoffa is buried there.  Wait, he is buried there, thats my story and I'm sticking to it!

Dan Kelly

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 02:47:48 PM »
At Giant's Ridge, I did the one footprint, but wanted to do another half sticking out of the woods behind 5 green to suggest the monster walking the landscape.

They turned you down? Damn. Think how cool that would've looked via Google Earth.

Just checked on "Giants Ridge Golf & Ski Resort, Biwabik, MN," at Google Maps. That footprint bunker looks wonderful.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

paul cowley

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 08:48:23 PM »
Quirky at times, fun, simple but bound by basic strategies...always walkable and affordable...a great place to spend time with family and friends.

This could also apply to my women.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 08:17:24 AM by paul cowley »
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 01:27:03 AM »
Paul,

When you use the phrase "18 holes on a Sunday afternoon" to just what are you referring?

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2011, 02:11:44 AM »
I think it would be really interesting to take a smallish piece of suitable land and do a great reversable nine hole course.

Lyne Morrison

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2011, 07:33:44 AM »
When this topic was posted I couldn’t help but think of Pinehurst #2 and the inspiring - and one would hope in a broader sense, potentially influential contribution taking place there.

There are many good ideals noted above – to aim for what is best and right makes sense. I can only add that it is my feeling where I am in Australia that we need to work towards incorporating increased flexibility into our courses to meaningfully accommodate the needs of a broader variety of player. While we must support and challenge our A Graders we can do better in acknowledging the presence and playing needs of an ever increasing group of seniors. We can also do better in educating the industry on appropriate design requirements for women and in the nurturing of our juniors.

So for me it would be golf that works for a community in a more complete sense - less penal, of manageable length, engaging and enjoyable for the greater number.

Lyne

paul cowley

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2011, 08:18:58 AM »
I think it would be really interesting to take a smallish piece of suitable land and do a great reversable nine hole course.

I agree Mike. I have proposed it twice but so far no takers!

paul cowley

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2011, 08:22:04 AM »
Paul,

When you use the phrase "18 holes on a Sunday afternoon" to just what are you referring?

...hmmmm...you in bed yet? ;-)

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2011, 09:18:24 AM »
Paul,

For some reason, the hockey game started later tonight, and after the train ride home, a small gathering of my kids friends downstairs, etc. I was up later than usual.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back