News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard Choi

You have till EOD (PST) Wed to cast your votes. Just state your preference on this thread. The voting is open to all. I highly recommend those who have played the holes to try to influence the voters as much as possible. I will tally the results on Thu and schedule the next round.

Seed #6

Fisher’s Island Golf Club 4th

Tale of the tape: Par 4, 400 yards

Why: From Ran - Seth Raynor‘s rendition of an ‘Alps’ and ‘Punchbowl’ provides the only blind approach shot on the course. Along with the 10th hole, the 4th has no bunkers and yet these holes are the stoutest two shotters on the course.

After (hopefully!) reaching the fairway, the golfer hits a blind approach toward the directional marker that stands behind hidden green.

The enormous punchbowl green complex that juts into the sound helps make the 4th a one of a kind hole in the world of golf.

Looking from behind the 4th green at the hill that one's approach must carry - not many architects would have the courage to build the same hole today, which is a pity as many consider it the most exciting one on the course.

Seed #11

Tain 11th

Tale of the tape: Par 4, 380 yards

Why: Why? Because it was designed in 1890 by Tom Friggin’ Morris for Melvin sakes!!!

« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 02:13:31 AM by Richard Choi »

Sean_A

Re: THM! Alps Region - 1st Rnd - #6 Fisher’s Island 4th vs #11 Tain 11th
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 02:13:52 AM »
Sorry, I am gonna vote for the old sod again.  I don't consider the Fisher's Island Alps a true Alps because the flag is too readily visible the entire length of the hole.  Tain wins this match.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

jeffwarne

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 08:39:18 AM »
Sorry, I am gonna vote for the old sod again.  I don't consider the Fisher's Island Alps a true Alps because the flag is too readily visible the entire length of the hole.  Tain wins this match.

Ciao

Sean,
You mean the aiming flag?
that would render many/most alps holes invalid
It's certainly not visible from the back tee.
have you played there?
#4 at Fisher's is a terriffic hole with options abounding.
and believe me it's very blind
That said, I really enjoyed the second shot on the Alps at tain-but the drive was a bit narrow for my taste (might've been the hard crosswind combined with firm turf)
Fishers is a better hole, Tain a better Alps
Draw
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 09:12:54 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Sean_A

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 08:50:41 AM »
Yes, the aiming flag immediately to the rear of the green.  Which other Alps of note have a direction pole right behind the green?  To me, this aid makes a hell of a difference. 

Ciao 
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

jeffwarne

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 09:00:28 AM »
Yes, the aiming flag immediately to the rear of the green.  Which other Alps of note have a direction pole right behind the green?  To me, this aid makes a hell of a difference. 

Ciao 

#3 NGLA

How is that flag at Fishers helping you on the tee shot?
if you aim at it off the tee you're in the ocean
and how is it different than the utility poles in the background at prestwick?
or aiming rocks at so many others
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Steve Kline

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 09:08:00 AM »
Having played neither, so just based on the pictures, I have to go with Fisher's Island. That hole looks freaking amazing.

Sean_A

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 09:19:00 AM »
Jeff

Usually, clubs put aiming poles on the Alps if at all.  One to the rear of a green would be a great comfort in judging distance and even from the tee as is seeing the flag on any hole.  Although, sometimes that very aid can serve to lure the player toward danger - as you suggest. 

I have no memory of an aiming pole behind the green at Prestwick, but I could be wrong.   

Ciao

jeffwarne

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 09:38:50 AM »
Jeff

Usually, clubs put aiming poles on the Alps if at all.  One to the rear of a green would be a great comfort in judging distance and even from the tee as is seeing the flag on any hole.  Although, sometimes that very aid can serve to lure the player toward danger - as you suggest. 

I have no memory of an aiming pole behind the green at Prestwick, but I could be wrong.   

Ciao

no aiming pole, but multiple utility poles behind the green visible from the tee (see picture in thread)

JNC Lyon

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 01:43:25 PM »
Although it looks wider than Prestwick, Tain's drive plays very narrow.  I also look Tain's Alps green at the shoreline of the Dornoch Firth, although its contouring is not nearly as interesting as the original Prestwick green.  I can't vote because I haven't played both, although I probably pick Fishers.  The 4th at Fishers looks like an unbelievable par four, and the Alps-Punchbowl combination on the cliffs is hard to beat.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Mark McKeever

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 01:44:18 PM »
Tain

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Alex Miller

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 01:58:43 PM »

Ciao 

Yale also has an aiming flag in its photo.

I aslo agree with the concept that Fishers is a better hole, but Tain is a better Alps.

Hopefully Fishers #4 gets resubmitted for the punchbowl category!

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 03:11:38 PM »
Fishers for me..that aiming pole has never seemed to be in line with any pins that I have hit to on that hole anyway!

Morgan Clawson

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, 04:10:46 PM »
I'm having trouble seeing Fisher's as a true Alps (neat looking hole though!), so I'm going with Tain.

Alister Matheson

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011, 04:47:46 PM »
Tain gets my Vote .
Cruden Bay Links Maintenance Blog

http://crudenbaylinks.blogspot.com/

Jason Topp

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2011, 05:01:47 PM »
Never played either but FWIW - Fisher's Island

Donnie Beck

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2011, 07:53:29 PM »
You have till EOD (PST) Wed to cast your votes. Just state your preference on this thread. The voting is open to all. I highly recommend those who have played the holes to try to influence the voters as much as possible. I will tally the results on Thu and schedule the next round.

Seed #6

Fisher’s Island Golf Club 4th

Tale of the tape: Par 4, 400 yards

Why: From Ran - Seth Raynor‘s rendition of an ‘Alps’ and ‘Punchbowl’ provides the only blind approach shot on the course. Along with the 10th hole, the 4th has no bunkers and yet these holes are the stoutest two shotters on the course.

After (hopefully!) reaching the fairway, the golfer hits a blind approach toward the directional marker that stands behind hidden green.

The enormous punchbowl green complex that juts into the sound helps make the 4th a one of a kind hole in the world of golf.

Looking from behind the 4th green at the hill that one's approach must carry - not many architects would have the courage to build the same hole today, which is a pity as many consider it the most exciting one on the course.

I can't coment on #11 at Tain as I have never played it but I can say the the 4th at Fishers is completely blind from the center or left side of the fairway. The last picture shown is the ideal drive down the right side flirting with the cliff affording a glimpse of the punchbowl. Again anything left of the ideal line is completely blind. The previous picture (next to last) is the 3rd hole and should be removed from the post.

Richard Choi

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2011, 07:56:34 PM »
Fixed!

Richard Choi

A friendly reminder that the voting window closes end of day today (Pacific time).

A very interesting matchup so far with Tain leading Fisher's 6-4.

Mike Hendren

Tain.
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Keith OHalloran

Fisher's Island

Craig Disher

Tain - it just looks closer to my image of what an Alps should be.

Matthew Petersen

The fourth at Fisher's looks like a great hole, but it just doesn't do it for me as an Alps. My vote goes to Tain.

Phil McDade

I'd rather play the one at Fisher's Island.

I think the one at Tain better fits the template.

A very close one, but my vote goes to Tain.

Richard Choi

Tain with a 10 to 5 upset win over Fisher's!!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back