News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard Choi

THM! Alps - #2 NGLA 3rd (Advances) vs #15 Blue Mound 4th
« on: February 27, 2011, 09:39:22 PM »
Post your preference on this thread.

Seed #2

NGLA 3rd

Tale of the tape: Par 4, 426 yards

Why: From Ran – “Macdonald’s homage to the Alps at Prestwick is an improvement on the original as the drive holds more interest. The approach over the top of a fescue covered hill is one where it is difficult for the golfer not to look up and sneek a peek before he has completed the downswing. The35 yardwide (!) green has some twenty yards of fairway in front of it, just enough room and margin of error for a long approach. The vast green is fiercely contoured and four putts can occur. The author considers the approach the game’s finest blind shot.”

Seed #15

Blue Mound 4th

Tale of the tape: Par 4, 388 yards

Why: From McDade - The Alps at Blue Mound, in suburban Milwaukee, an original Raynor. Certainly not as dramatic as others depicted here, but faithful to Raynor's design intent. Here’s George Bahto...describing a Raynor Alps, which fits perfectly with what the golfer encounters at Blue Mound: “Seth Raynor built an Alps on most courses, but they were generally identified as having ‘Alps bunkering’ – meaning some cross-bunkering in front of the green. Instead of a blind approach over a ‘mountain,’ Raynor customarily positioned his Alps renditions just over the crest of a rising fairway – then cross-bunkering the green complex. Sadly, many clubs covered in the cross bunker because they did not understand the origin and concept. Alps greens usually had a spine of sorts running through the green to compound putting problems.

The Alps plays over dead-level ground. Golfers need to be conscious of two bunkers cutting into the fairway at an angle midway down the fairway right, but again they are easily cleared for most players, and the fairway offers plenty of width to avoid them.

Only an aerial approach will do here.

Another terrific green awaits the golfer on the 4th, a large oval with several horizontal folds.

Note the geometric symmetry to the mowing patterns of the green – a common feature at Blue Mound.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 02:10:50 AM by Richard Choi »

Matthew Sander

Re: THM! Alps Region - 1st Rnd - #2 NGLA 3rd vs #16 Blue Mound 4th
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 10:13:29 PM »
Richard,

Sorry to be the squeaky weel, but aren't the 2nd and 3rd pics the Fisher's Island Alps and not NGLA?

Gene Greco

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 10:17:09 PM »
You might have made a mistake in arranging your pics as there are two of the 4th at Fisher's Island.

Or am I missing something?

Post your preference on this thread.

Seed #2

NGLA 3rd

Tale of the tape: Par 4, 426 yards

Why: From Ran – “Macdonald’s homage to the Alps at Prestwick is an improvement on the original as the drive holds more interest. The approach over the top of a fescue covered hill is one where it is difficult for the golfer not to look up and sneek a peek before he has completed the downswing. The35 yardwide (!) green has some twenty yards of fairway in front of it, just enough room and margin of error for a long approach. The vast green is fiercely contoured and four putts can occur. The author considers the approach the game’s finest blind shot.”

Seed #15

Blue Mound 4th

Tale of the tape: Par 4, 388 yards

Why: From McDade - The Alps at Blue Mound, in suburban Milwaukee, an original Raynor. Certainly not as dramatic as others depicted here, but faithful to Raynor's design intent. Here’s George Bahto...describing a Raynor Alps, which fits perfectly with what the golfer encounters at Blue Mound: “Seth Raynor built an Alps on most courses, but they were generally identified as having ‘Alps bunkering’ – meaning some cross-bunkering in front of the green. Instead of a blind approach over a ‘mountain,’ Raynor customarily positioned his Alps renditions just over the crest of a rising fairway – then cross-bunkering the green complex. Sadly, many clubs covered in the cross bunker because they did not understand the origin and concept. Alps greens usually had a spine of sorts running through the green to compound putting problems.

The Alps plays over dead-level ground. Golfers need to be conscious of two bunkers cutting into the fairway at an angle midway down the fairway right, but again they are easily cleared for most players, and the fairway offers plenty of width to avoid them.

Only an aerial approach will do here.

Another terrific green awaits the golfer on the 4th, a large oval with several horizontal folds.

Note the geometric symmetry to the mowing patterns of the green – a common feature at Blue Mound.

"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Richard Choi

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 10:18:48 PM »
Sorry, fixed!

Sean_A

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 03:09:06 AM »
If an Alps should be anything it is dramatic.  This is a knock out in the first round and a prime example of how important good terrain is to golf.  NGLA.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 08:16:15 AM »
NGLA

Morgan Clawson

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 12:15:22 PM »
NGLA hands down. 

Mark McKeever

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 01:40:35 PM »
NGLA.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Alex Miller

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 01:56:03 PM »
NGLA, also shouldn't Blue Mound be #15?

Richard Choi

Re: THM! Alps Region - 1st Rnd - #2 NGLA 3rd vs #15 Blue Mound 4th
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 02:08:18 PM »
My bad. Fixed!

Brian Brady

Re: THM! Alps Region - 1st Rnd - #2 NGLA 3rd vs #15 Blue Mound 4th
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 05:09:39 PM »
NGLA, by far.

Richard Choi

Re: THM! Alps - #2 NGLA 3rd vs #15 Blue Mound 4th - Voting Ends Today!
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 11:33:49 AM »
A friendly reminder that the voting window closes end of day today (Pacific time).

NGLA is routing Blue Mound 7-0.

Phil McDade

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 11:37:40 AM »
I should weigh in, as I help contribute to this one.

Blue Mound's Alps, to me, was actually one of the more disappointing template holes at the course. The others there are considerably better -- the Alps hole as a template seems to me to be strengthened by interesting terrian as much as faithful adaptation of the concept, and the BM Alps sits on less-than-arresting land.

NGLA's Alps remains the coolest hole I think I've even see in pictures. It gets my vote.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 11:39:30 AM »
A poor draw for my beloved Blue Mound.

National Golf Links of America in a landslide.

Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 11:41:38 AM »
Blue Mound got a tough draw....NGLA gets my vote

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2011, 12:09:11 PM »
It's piling on at this point, but ... NGLA

Richard Choi

Re: THM! Alps - #2 NGLA 3rd (Advances) vs #15 Blue Mound 4th
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2011, 02:10:36 AM »
NGLA is just too strong for Blue Mound and finishes strong with a 11 to 0 win.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back