News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

jeffwarne

The best advertising dollars ever spent
« on: February 26, 2011, 02:05:14 PM »
Yum brands (taco bell/KFC/Pizza hut) advertising  on the longest preshot routine in golf.
which is cheaper a 30 second spot or paying JB to have a 60 second preshot routine?
and faces forward(logo showing on that ridiculous shirt) stomping the green while he plumb bobs...hate to have a ball settles where he plumb bobs the turf with his feet
and now a great break and then another questionable drop to boot on 18.

The announcers have glorified his preshot routine all day,
but Johnny Miller just called him a cheat -twice (sort've)

hopefully karma prevails or they won't finish today
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 02:39:38 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Pete_Pittock

Re: The best advertising dollars ever spent
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 02:13:48 PM »
I watched. Please tell me how he cheated according to the rules of golf.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 02:19:06 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Tim Martin

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 02:14:32 PM »
No way can I route for J. B. Holmes. The preshot routine is excruciating to watch. Put J.B., Kevin Na, Ben Crane and Jim Furyk in the same foursome and there is no way they finish before dark regardless of what time they tee off. It`s a shame that J. B. is getting so much face time.

jeffwarne

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 02:24:48 PM »

Ask Bubba-he just questioned his drop on the first playoff hole

class interview with JB at the end though

« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 02:38:48 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

JESII

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 03:09:03 PM »

By telling the official that on his second drop on 18 he was going to swing off to the right at about 30* (so his club would hit the little piece of rubber) in order to hit his ball to the left by about 30*. The official looked at him and asked..."you're going to hit the ball over there (pointing to the rough short left of the pin) and the club is going to hit this on the follow through?" "Yep, I would swing from inside to out"...sure you would!

jeffwarne

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 03:14:37 PM »

By telling the official that on his second drop on 18 he was going to swing off to the right at about 30* (so his club would hit the little piece of rubber) in order to hit his ball to the left by about 30*. The official looked at him and asked..."you're going to hit the ball over there (pointing to the rough short left of the pin) and the club is going to hit this on the follow through?" "Yep, I would swing from inside to out"...sure you would!

What made it even less believeable was Bubba laying 2, 25 feet from the pin.
In match play, no way you're chipping out sideways when you have a play toward the pin (granted from that lie the best he was going to do was 25 feet past), but no way he chips out sideways towards that second sprinkler-leaving a flop shot to try to hole for a half
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 03:17:07 PM by jeffwarne »

JESII

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 03:39:36 PM »
No Jeff, the problem was that he said he was going to swing out to the right (which is where the sprinkler was) in order to hit the ball left. I do believe he would have taken the ball in the left rough in 3 hoping to chip in, considering the circumstances, but when the ball is only going about 5 yards there's no way swinging right to hit it left can make sense.

jeffwarne

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 03:44:43 PM »

It would've been great if the official had ripped the tiny piece of rubber out of the ground (or clipped it off with a scissors) and then told JB to go ahead and hit the shot.

JESII

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 03:48:47 PM »
I agree...even better would have been to say "I don't believe you, play away please!"...no such luck.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 03:57:14 PM »
The question becomes was it a reasonable play. Given the talents of a professional golfer it might have been so. The referee decided that it was reasonable. Bubba had the option of getting the referee to ask for a second opinion, which is within his rights. The referee
has the authority to grant, ot not grant, the request. Ultimately, JC lost the hole, so the subject was moot. To my view, the only thing which changed was what was going on in JC's head. Since Holmes played within the rules of golf, with knowledge of the referee and the opponent, I thought that "cheating" was a wrong choice of words, but I can understand the sentiment behind the thought.

jeffwarne

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 04:02:00 PM »
I agree...even better would have been to say "I don't believe you, play away please!"...no such luck.

I've seen an official do that, then stop(and grant the drop) when it was clear the player was going to try it
Had the official made him play it,I think he chokes up to avoid the tree above and flops it out of the poor lie , just over the green
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 04:04:03 PM by jeffwarne »

JESII

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2011, 04:27:24 PM »
Could be...I don't know if he had a backswing though. Tough for me to tell.

Glad to see Watson win that match.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2011, 06:54:16 PM »
Nice of you all to cast aspersions...if its within the rules, whether or not it suits your taste is irrelevant.  I do agree, however, that officials ought to have a bit more brass (as at Whistling Straits) and make the tough call.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2011, 08:48:52 PM »
Back to the question... Those BIG Rolex clocks at every major course...

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2011, 09:11:11 PM »
I don't think I could enjoy a social round of golf with anyone who could support JB Homes on his stretching of the rules. Just because you know your opponent or a rules official will not make the call makes you no less a cheat.  Putting friends in such awkward situations makes you even worse. If you have to ask if a drop is ok you already know it's not. I've seen it a thousand times and let it slide 90% of the time. It ruins my day either way. What really pisses me off is that the guy with the fake way to long name is a HS coach. Nice. 

JC Jones

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2011, 09:17:20 PM »
I agree.  Taco Bell has spent the best advertising dollars ever.  See Here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekHca_fm1P4
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Nick Campanelli

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2011, 07:53:19 AM »
Kaymer's "Boss" (Hugo Boss) logo got some serious attention from Miller and Jacobsen mid way through the semifinals as well...
Landscape Architect  //  Golf Course Architect

Nick Campanelli

« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 07:59:26 AM by Nick Campanelli »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2011, 08:39:22 AM »

Nice of you all to cast aspersions...if its within the rules, whether or not it suits your taste is irrelevant.  I do agree, however, that officials ought to have a bit more brass (as at Whistling Straits) and make the tough call.

Was the person consulted with a "referee" or "observer" appointed to that match.

If not, he has no standing under USGA rules.

JC Jones

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2011, 09:03:50 AM »
I agree.  Taco Bell has spent the best advertising dollars ever.  See Here:

Too bad its not real meat.  YUM!

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2011-01-24/news/fl-taco-bell-suit-20110124_1_gorditas-and-chalupas-ground-beef-seasoned-beef

As a fellow Big Ten alum, I know that fact never really bothered you between the hours of 12am and 4am.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Nick Campanelli

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2011, 09:41:08 AM »
I agree.  Taco Bell has spent the best advertising dollars ever.  See Here:

Too bad its not real meat.  YUM!

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2011-01-24/news/fl-taco-bell-suit-20110124_1_gorditas-and-chalupas-ground-beef-seasoned-beef

As a fellow Big Ten alum, I know that fact never really bothered you between the hours of 12am and 4am.

I have no argument against that statement.   

Doug Siebert

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2011, 11:51:21 PM »
They really ought to adopt a local rule making those little rubber mister nozzles part of the course, so no relief from them.

The biggest scam on tour on the wide latitude players get for "relief" from things like sprinkler heads, cartpaths, stands and towers.  I'll bet I'd average at least a stroke or two less playing the same course the pros do, comparing what I'd shoot with the course in its normal setup and then again getting bounces and generous relief from hitting it places I shouldn't be in the first place!
My hovercraft is full of eels.

JESII

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2011, 10:47:28 AM »
Doug,

Is that a stroke or two better than totally normal play compared to during a tour week? All things considered? Rough? Greens?

If so, I'll take the over, and give you a few shots as well.

JMEvensky

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2011, 11:09:12 AM »
Put me on the same side of the bet with Sullivan.Not many amateurs would like a steady dose of golf courses set up for PGA Tour players.

jeffwarne

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2011, 11:44:52 AM »
Doug,

Is that a stroke or two better than totally normal play compared to during a tour week? All things considered? Rough? Greens?

If so, I'll take the over, and give you a few shots as well.

didn't see a whole lot of rough yesterday, and they didn't cut the greens on Saturday
and played a lot of up tees.(and that's ften the case at big modern layouts)
galleries help locate balls-rules officials give more favorable rulings than most "less educated" opponents(or conciences) would go for
the average "all the way back guy" plays it all the way back at his visit to a Tour site
also when the greens are "tour fast" they usually use the flat spots on the greens-even going so far as to create more flat spots by remodeling??? (although they certainly like to put them near the edges)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back