News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

The golfing attention whore syndrome.
« on: February 18, 2011, 02:49:51 PM »
The bring your dog to golf thread opened my eyes to one of the factors that is killing golf.  The golfing attention whore syndrome.  So, I ask the question:  What do you do to bring attention to yourself during a round?

Do you bring your dog to the course?
Do you click your irons while walking?
Do you wear the latest loudmouth type golfwear?
Have you bought a R11 white driver?
Do you have your name or the name of your course or social networking site on your bag?
Do you wear shorts when inappropriate?
Do you wait until everyone in your group is watching to hit?
Are your golf shoes more expensive than your work shoes?
Do you yell when making a shot either good or bad?

I am sure their are other methods used by GAW's and would love to hear more, but the real question is: Why?

astavrides

Re: The golfing attention whore syndrome. New
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 02:57:44 PM »
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 07:49:59 PM by astavrides »

David_Tepper

Re: The golfing attention whore syndrome.
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 02:58:52 PM »
Do you start lame off topic threads on golfclubstlas.com?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 03:01:34 PM »
what do you do to bring attention to yourself on golfclubatlas.com attention whore syndrome?

I think Al Gore was the first person to point out that I have internet attention whore syndrome.  I think I keep it under control when golfing.

See, now that I know it pisses people off seeing golf used as a verb I just can't get enough, but that is here, not on the course.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 03:02:23 PM »
The bring your dog to golf thread opened my eyes to one of the factors that is killing golf.  The golfing attention whore syndrome.  So, I ask the question:  What do you do to bring attention to yourself during a round?

Do you bring your dog to the course?

No.  But I own two cats but they would be crazy chasing squirrels and other critters!

Do you click your irons while walking?

If it begins to happen, it doesn't last more than a few steps.

Do you wear the latest loudmouth type golfwear?

No.

Have you bought a R11 white driver?

Nope.  Still play with an R5.

Do you have your name or the name of your course or social networking site on your bag?

USGA bag tag.

Do you wear shorts when inappropriate?

No.

Do you wait until everyone in your group is watching to hit?

No.  And those of you that have played with me know that I play very quickly.

Are your golf shoes more expensive than your work shoes?

No, both about the same (75 bucks).

Do you yell when making a shot either good or bad?

Not nearly as much as I used to.

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 03:03:11 PM »
Do you start lame off topic threads on golfclubstlas.com?

This is not off topic as making the course revolve around each golfer like they are soooooo special drives costs up and dumbs architecture down.

John Kirk

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 03:09:59 PM »
My clubs clack as I walk because my driver does not have a head cover.

See, I'm cool.  Validate me please.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 03:10:24 PM »
LOL.  This topic isn't working as well as your other one, John.

Flamboyance is generally brought to the golf course by those who are flamboyant in all walks of life.

A holes are A holes, not just on the course.

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 03:15:37 PM »
John - I think because golf is an individual sport played in the company of others, it is the most akin to, say, first class air travel or a meal in a high class restaurant.  So men of a certain age and temperament and social standing expect a level of service/quality of experience that is both personal and commensurate with what they have paid for the experience and what they think they are worth as human beings. Drawing attention to oneself on the course is seen as one way to validate and ensure that personal attention -- sort of like ordering from off the menu or asking for substitutions in a restaurant; or taking one's shoes off in first class even if your feet are stinky. You do it because you can...

Peter

John Kirk

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 03:20:47 PM »
I also believe that one's flamboyance here online does not accurately reflect one's need for attention in actual social situations.

I'd also suggest garish golfwear is not always intended to draw attention to oneself negatively; rather it's fun and sporty.

I'd say the greatest way anybody offends in this manner is to explain one's golf shots for any length of time.  We used to have a joke, that if you wanted to talk about a shot, you get 15 seconds, and not very often.

Tim Martin

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2011, 03:20:53 PM »
John-Maybe you could enlighten me as to what is wrong with having a logo bag from the course where you play. The last thing I knew the pro appreciated you spending money in his shop instead of going for a closeout at Edwin Watts. When is it inappropriate to wear shorts if the host club permits it? Thanks.

Shane Wright

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2011, 03:22:03 PM »
John - I haven't had the pleasure of meeting you yet, but I can't resist, you served up a beach ball.

How do you hear my irons clacking from the cart path. 

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2011, 03:41:56 PM »
John-Maybe you could enlighten me as to what is wrong with having a logo bag from the course where you play. The last thing I knew the pro appreciated you spending money in his shop instead of going for a closeout at Edwin Watts. When is it inappropriate to wear shorts if the host club permits it? Thanks.

Tim,

Why have a logo on your golf bag unless you want someone else to see it bringing attention to yourself?

An example of inappropriate short wearing is the guy who wears shorts at Bandon when everyone else is wearing raingear. He does it to prove something about himself unrelated to golf.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2011, 04:16:16 PM »
When are shorts inappropriate unless expressly prohibited by the host club?

I understand you might be uncomfortable if it's cold and/or rainy, but why's that inappropriate?

Besides, I like to wear shorts under rain pants.

(Note to self:  check outs shorts policy at Kinloch for Dixie Cup in October.)

Have you seen Ward's slacks a la Daly?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 05:04:33 PM by Bill_McBride »

Kyle Harris

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2011, 04:17:16 PM »
I think his point is that a guy wearing shorts in 45 degree weather is simply doing it for attention.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2011, 04:27:44 PM »

Do you bring your dog to the course? NO - EX-WIFE KEPT THEM
Do you click your irons while walking? WALKING?
Do you wear the latest loudmouth type golfwear? NOT MADE IN MY SIZE
Have you bought a R11 white driver? HAVE ABOUT 20 ON ORDER
Do you have your name or the name of your course or social networking site on your bag? DOES A WVU BAG COUNT?
Do you wear shorts when inappropriate? DOES SLEEPING COUNT?
Do you wait until everyone in your group is watching to hit? THEIR EYES ARE ALWAYS ON ME
Are your golf shoes more expensive than your work shoes? SAME THING
Do you yell when making a shot either good or bad? ONLY WHEN PLAYING WITH ANTHONY GRAY

I am sure their are other methods used by GAW's and would love to hear more, but the real question is: Why?

JESII

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2011, 04:28:39 PM »
"I think his point is that a guy wearing shorts in 45 degree weather is simply doing it for attention"

Ironically, that's how I feel about guys that wear pants when it's 80+.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2011, 04:29:54 PM »
"I think his point is that a guy wearing shorts in 45 degree weather is simply doing it for attention"

Until you get lyme disease ;)

Mike Hendren

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2011, 04:35:00 PM »
John, back in high school a few of us thought it would be cool to wear big floppy newsboy caps as seen in the black exploitation films of the 70's.  I had a fabulous orange and white job that I'd occasionally wear in golf tournaments.  Once at a home tournament while sporting this cap I was approaching the 7th green from the fairway in full view of the clubhouse bar.  My wedge bounded over the green and I tossed my club in disgust.  

One man in the bar turned to the other and asked:  "Who is that a%^hole?"  The man's response:  "That's my son."  Boy did I catch it when I got home.  

Something like this, though with altenating orange and whilte panels:

Probably should have gone with the old standby - the fluorescent orange trucker hat with "Liquid Lightning Fertilizer" across the front.

Bogey
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 04:39:37 PM by Michael_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

john_stiles

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2011, 04:48:06 PM »

The dog found me in regards to my post.   And dogs often roam around the course, causing no harm to anyone or the course.

No to all the rest of the 'me, me, me' questions.

Whoops, do have a USGA bag tag.

Oh oh, just thought of another.

My golf bag says  'Titlelist' and I have never even been close to one,   so that is a lie.

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2011, 05:04:07 PM »
I buy work shoes that are made by craftsmen in the United States.
I used to buy golf shoes that were made by basically the same group of craftsman
does this make me an attention whore or just someone that appreciates good craftsmanship (and needs a narrow shoe)?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2011, 05:05:33 PM »

Not much choice at some very good clubs.......

Lester George

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2011, 05:10:31 PM »
My golf bag has a club logo on it, it was given to me by the club.  Oooooops, I designed the golf course, shame on me!

Lester

David Kelly

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2011, 05:17:32 PM »
My golf bag has a club logo on it, it was given to me by the club.  Oooooops, I designed the golf course, shame on me!

Lester
I'm sure you only took the job to draw attention to yourself.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2011, 05:27:50 PM »
  Several things I like to do.

Wear very bright clothing.This also protects me from getting shot when I am in the woods.

Name dropping.I love this one.Makes others think I'm important.

Course droping.Although it is of no use when golfing with GCAers,with others it puffs you up.

Hot Chick.My favorite.Having a hot chick meet you at the 18th green is a must when traveling.

Hit bad shots.This attracts more attention than playing a boring fairway,green two put game.

Loud celebrations.Nothing like screaming while circling the green looking for some one to hug (Jimmy V) after a bird on the last hole.

Ball marker.Having my knees pop like pop corn every time I squat gets many grimaces.

Logo ball.This one is a classic providing the logo is your face.

Santa Clause.Playing in a Santa costume is a no brainer around the holidays.

Public urinating.Who needs a tree when you have a wide open fairway.

Caddy.When your to injured to play,wear a caddy outfit when walking with buddies.Works well at a course that has no caddies.

Hatless.I like to go hatless so after the round I can enter the clubhouse looking like the Unibomber.That gets attention.

Bilingual.Take your wifes family to Bandon since they can't speek english.Talk about getting attention.

Fake an injury.Especially if you are playing bad.

The doctor card.Have somebody call the grill when it is packed and have them ask for Dr Gray.

Lists.Tell the pro shop that I am a rater.

Buy drinks.No brainer.

Anthony

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back