News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ralph Thompson

How much would you pay for a round of golf?
« on: February 17, 2011, 08:57:33 AM »
A bidder recently paid $26250 for a round of golf at Askernish, South Uist with the club honorary President Kenny Dalglish at a charity auction. What is the most any member has paid / heard of being paid?

John Kavanaugh

Re: How much would you pay for a round of golf?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 09:13:19 AM »
I pay twice the cost of my yearly dues to play in a charity event every year at my local club. It's charity and public image as I would pay even more not to golf in the scramble.

Note:  This type if charity is not an indication of ones grace, it is simply a business expense.

Jamie Barber

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 09:16:11 AM »
I wouldn't pay more than £100.

That said, King Kenny is a living legend over here so I might make an exception for him, say £200 :)

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 10:10:30 AM »
I usually say no more than the cost of a round on TOC.

However I have flown a long way to pay golf and if you cost everything in then even free rounds can in reality be costing £500 a pop.
Cave Nil Vino

PCCraig

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 10:30:05 AM »
As much as the round costs...
H.P.S.

Steve Kline

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 10:32:59 AM »
I personally have proably not paid more than $50-60 for a round of golf. However, my business, customers, and my dad have paid for me to play at Pebble, Pinehurst, Pine Valley, TOC and the like.

Richard Choi

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 11:42:59 AM »
If it is just for golf, I am having a hard time paying ~$500 for a Pebble.

If it is for charity, especially for a charity that I support, I can easily see 4 or 5 figures as that money is already earmarked for that charity and golf would be just a bonus.

Paul Jones

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 11:49:50 AM »
I would love to see what a round at Augusta National would go for in an auction - charity or not.

Paul
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Tim Nugent

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 12:07:07 PM »
The real question is "How much would pay to play a course - the 2nd time?"  Many, including me, will pay whatever to experience a course. Bbut, after you have "Been There, Done That?" and the novelty has worn off - what is it worth?
Coasting is a downhill process

Garland Bayley

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 01:14:36 PM »
My limit is about the cost of a round at BD in December and January.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Ted Harris

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 04:10:57 PM »
Last September American Express had some sort of deal if you were a certain level of cardmember you could pay $800 (I think) to play Shinnecock - by the time I saw that this event was going on I was too late as it was already sold out but I would have jumped on that given the chance again.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 04:43:06 PM »
I paid $10,000 for a round at Sand Hills.  But it was for a foursome.  And it included, shall we say, transportation.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

JR Potts

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 05:33:57 PM »
Anything less than Shelly Solow's hourly rate.

But, for a select few, I would pay whatever needs to be paid.

Mark Smolens

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 05:37:10 PM »
The gnp of several Third World countries is less than Shelly's hourly rate, so that's not really that descriptive there Ryan.

Ken Moum

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2011, 06:02:29 PM »
So far it's been limited to the cost of TOC.

On my "biggest golf trip ever" I passed on Troon and Kingsbarns , partly because I thought the cost was ludicrous.

I'd have to think really, really hard to exceed the ~$240 of TOC.

K
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Sean_A

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2011, 06:36:49 PM »
The real question is "How much would pay to play a course - the 2nd time?" 

Cha ching!  I can be convinced to pay stupid money for many courses once, but the course has to be out of this world and meet the whimsical nature of my criteria to play it twice.  The most expensive course I know that I would return to is Merion. I can't think of another course in that price range that I would pay to play again.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Chechesee Creek & Old Barnwell

jeffwarne

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2011, 08:35:47 AM »
A bidder recently paid $26250 for a round of golf at Askernish, South Uist with the club honorary President Kenny Dalglish at a charity auction. What is the most any member has paid / heard of being paid?

While that's a noteworthy contribution, the bidder didn't pay that for a "round of golf"
He paid it to the charity (I'm sure his tax records will confirm this)

So is the question
How much would you donate to charity to play a round at X course?

or, How much would you pay to simplyplay the course ?

I'm pretty sure Augusta could get $10,000 a man for a foursome from a few fans(although we could call the ANGC member who was booted for selling threesomes to play with him)
or $100,000 a man at a charity auction
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Paul Jones

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2011, 10:52:53 AM »
I paid $375 twice to play National Golf Links on different trips, plus caddie, lunch, etc...  That is my max and would only pay that for a few clubs in the world.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2011, 11:19:29 AM »
Just like dinner you can pay $20 and feel ripped off or a $200 and feel it was good value.

Paul - I'm guessing that's an unaccompanied fee?
Cave Nil Vino

Ian Andrew

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2011, 11:24:29 AM »
When you consider the cost of travel - it's sometimes as much as $1000. per game.
So I'm not sure what my limit is.

I do know hiring a private jet is beyond my limit, but that's a story best told over a beer.

If I'm already there, I will pay any price rather than miss the opportunity to play something I always wanted to play.
The highest green fee was around $400. (and I had played it before)

Paul Jones

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2011, 11:27:52 AM »
Just like dinner you can pay $20 and feel ripped off or a $200 and feel it was good value.

Paul - I'm guessing that's an unaccompanied fee?

Yes, member sponsored.  If the member plays with you it is $75.  This was a few years ago, so it might have changed.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Tim Leahy

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2011, 01:55:47 PM »
I would pay $500 for a round at Cypress Pt. or Augusta.
I paid $375 for Pebble a couple of years ago, but would not pay more than that to return.
I would probably pay $375 for a round at SFCC just because it is so hard to get on and I missed an opportunity to play there once.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back