News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anton

Shout them out!
« on: February 16, 2011, 04:50:03 PM »
Outside the 4 majors.....what are the top 3 courses to see the PGA Tour play on TV?

My List
1. Muirfield Village = beautiful!
2. Pebble = classic
3. Dove Mountain = love the panoramic views
“I've spent most of my life golfing - the rest I've just wasted”

John Kavanaugh

Re: Shout them out!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 04:57:38 PM »
Outside the 4 majors.....what are the top 3 courses to see the PGA Tour play on TV?

My List
2. Pebble = classic

Troy,

Have you played any of the three above?  I like watching courses on TV that I have played.

This is the nicest and first good thing I have ever heard anyone say about Dove Mountain.  I've stayed at the hotel but couldn't get the nerve up to play.  Don't get the views.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 05:08:21 PM »

My List
2. Pebble = classic

Troy,

Have you played any of the three above?  I like watching courses on TV that I have played.

This is the nicest and first good thing I have ever heard anyone say about Dove Mountain.  I've stayed at the hotel but couldn't get the nerve up to play.  Don't get the views.

I played Dove Mountain last winter.  It's a difficult course with some big wild greens and a few tough carries.  Better players definitely enjoy it more.

Ron Csigo

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 05:08:55 PM »
Muirfield Village - Next best course to watch on TV aside from Augusta.

Riviera - Classic course with very interesting, almost quirky, holes.  Also enjoy seeing the white (petrified???) trees that are scattered around the course

Quail Hollow - The course looks stunning on TV.  Why doesn't this course get more kudos or notoriety?!
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Anton

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 05:10:44 PM »
John,
If that is your opinion then that is fine.  Dove Mt appeals to me visually through the television.  Different strokes for different folks.  I have read rave reviews on the course and its setting against the Tortolita Mountains in the Sonora Desert.  It comes over very nicely via HDTV.  The players seem to enjoy the challenge given its length and the wild greens that Nicklaus built.  

Just a fun list for opinions on the tour stops.  You don't have to have played every tour stop to have an opinion on the PGA's courses.  I for one absorb every aspect of golf course design that I can from books and the broadcasts (mainly due to the fact that I am unable to play anymore).  No I have not played these particular courses (God willing I will) and that is why I specified that these are my favorite tour stops via television.  

thanks for your opinion.

Will MacEwen

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 05:12:47 PM »
Sawgrass

Pebble

Riviera

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 05:13:24 PM »
Tony,

Why are you not able to play anymore? Don't answer if this offends you but I think it would help to understand your position on future subjects.

Tim Martin

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 05:17:20 PM »
Riviera
Aronomink
Muirfield Village

Adam Clayman

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 05:33:45 PM »
Kapalua often gets mentioned as one of the best courses the boys play
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tim Leahy

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 05:46:20 PM »
1. Pebble
2. Kapalua
3. Torrey Pines
4. Sea Pines Plantation
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

jeffwarne

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 05:49:29 PM »
Pebble
Riviera
Doral
Harbor Town

used to love watching Westchester
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Anton

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 07:49:15 PM »
Kapalua and Riviera are def close up on my list. Both apparently are favorites among the players. Especially Riviera.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 08:07:37 PM »
For obvious reasons, I like East Lake.

Harbour Town is neat to see.

And I really like TPC San Antonio last year and I anxiously await seeing it this year.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 08:11:33 PM by Mac Plumart »
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 11:15:19 PM »
Pebble
Muirfield Village
Sawgrass

Just for viewing, Kapalua has to be up there too. Never been there to compare how it plays, but the three I mentioned would be tough to beat for me.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2011, 01:41:06 AM »
TPC River Highlands.  I've played it and watched the Travelers there.  Got a special place in my heart for it.

Riviera is fun to watch, as is Dove Mountain, because it's match play.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Bruce Hospes

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2011, 07:44:16 AM »

Riveria

TPC Sawgrass

Castle Pines (I know they don't play there anymore, but it's one of my favorite places)

Mark McKeever

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2011, 08:36:28 AM »
My three are:

Riviera
Aronimink
Quail Hollow

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Ben Sims

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2011, 08:54:49 AM »
Can't believe no one has mentioned Plainfield for The Barclays this year.  Those of you that don't know about Plainfield, treat yourself and watch.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2011, 10:02:17 AM »
Ben, I will be interested in this telecast.  It might disappoint if focused on the back nine.  While the 10th through 13th are steller, the Tunnel holes are about as plain as it gets, the cool crossing bunkering on the 16th will go unnoticed by the professional and the 17th and 18th will be flattened out by television. 

I will be interested to see how the professionals play the 18th.  With the inability to move the tee back (thankfully since it melds so wonderfully with the 17thg green) and the new bunkers being constructed inside the dogleg up the hill options will abound.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Niall Hay

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2011, 10:17:45 AM »
Muirfield Village

Pebble Beach

Aronimink

Riviera

Loch Lomond (Euro)

Garland Bayley

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2011, 02:55:16 PM »
Where ever The Open Championship is being played.
Castle Stuart and the Renaissance Club
Chambers Bay for US Am/Open and Sebonack for US Women's Open

Honorable mention
Kapalua
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back