News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick Hodgdon

I mean come on, all I had was water!!!!! 

This is obviously not true.

Ok I had a diet coke. Figure $2.

I still don't know why I had to pay $72 for the other guys "excessive" dinner.
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

John Kavanaugh

Because while God did not create the unit of measurement called the minute, he did create you.

Patrick Hodgdon

Because while God did not create the unit of measurement called the minute, he did create you.

Damn. I was fully expecting you to offer to send me a check for $29.
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

Charlie Goerges

Damn. I was fully expecting you to offer to send me a check for $29.

If you can't afford to buy wine for 12 other guys you can't afford a night out!
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Rick Shefchik

When we all got home, our wives were surely surprised to learn that there wasn't a cyber-creep, hooker or stick-up man in the group. Nice bunch of fellows, actually. I hope we do it again.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

John Kavanaugh

I would have sent you $72 if you would have properly had the wine bill directed to the lap of Lord Craig.  I was gonna call him Prince but that was already taken.  Well, "The golfer formerly known as twit" might work as well if someone can come up with proper graphic symbolism.

John_Conley

It was great meeting everyone in person last night, especially as a new transplant to the city. Lots of good golf recommendations as well as much needed navigation tips.

Pat, be sure to seek out these if you are new to the area.

1. Owatonna
2. Eau Claire G & CC
3. Winona CC (I think Shelman told me it is now called The Bridges)

Patrick Hodgdon

Apparently I needed to emoticon my previous tongue in cheek posts.

For the uninitiated my last few posts were in reference to this post and thread: http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,16139.msg288309.html#msg288309

It just so happened that this thread was brought up last night at check time (as a GCA all-time favorite thread no less) AND that "Mr. GCA T-shirt" himself posted on this thread. Sorry John it was too good to pass up.  ;D ;) ;D

A good time was had by all and I think some good IRL friendships were started. I'm looking forward to teeing it up with all you guys.

From Bottom Left: Matt Vandelac's blue arm, Rick Shefchik, Dan Kelly, Pat Craig, Shane Wright, Jeff Shelman
From Bottom Right: Ben Kodadek, Morgan Clawson, Patrick Hodgdon, Buck Wolter
Not Pictured: Mark Johnson, Jason Topp

« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 11:59:45 AM by Patrick Hodgdon »

John Kavanaugh

Yes, I was also kidding.  Pat is a great guy, welcome him with open arms and make him feel so at home he never leaves.  Congrats on a wonderful addition to your community.

Dan Kelly

... make him feel so at home he never leaves. 

No one ever leaves here, John! That's the secret to our success. Once we've got them, they're not allowed to leave.

(Seriously: I've heard, but have not verified, that MSP is the hardest place in the country to recruit to -- and from.)
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

John_Conley

Patrick, if you don't wear the t-shirt to dinner with the architecture dorks where do you wear it?

Dan Kelly

In case anyone's interested (as I'm sure you all are):

Left to right: Matt Vandelac's left arm, Rick Shefchik, Dan Kelly, Pat Craig, Shane Wright, Jeff Shelman, Buck Wolter, Patrick Hodgdon, Morgan Clawson, Ben Kodadek.

Already departed: Mark Johnson and Jason Topp (after a feverish, restaurant-wide, ultimately successful hunt for his wandering cell phone)

Patrick Hodgdon

Patrick, if you don't wear the t-shirt to dinner with the architecture dorks where do you wear it?

Dude I totally had you covered last night.

Here's what I had on: True Tour golf shoes, Calusa Pines belt, Seminole T-Shirt underneath The Hideout golf polo, an Interlachen wind breaker and a Pensacola Country Club hat. Can you say SWAG??? I don't think it's possible to be any more geeked out. My wife was embarrassed when I walked out the door.

Patrick Hodgdon

Highlights of the night:

Rick Shefchik talking about some of the great "finds" of information for his book on MN courses, including specific mentions of Donald Ross being in the Twin Cities.

Pat Craig cursing the downtown skyway system he will soon know and love 8 months from now.

Matt Vandelac and I swapping stories of a few local caddies we know as well as the great story about him getting to play Ballynizzle.

Learning from Shane Wright's and Jason Topp about every course in Knowheresville, Iowa.

Chatting about the lowly T-Wolves with Jeff Shelman.

Planning on carpooling with Dan Kelly to the Midwest Mashie.

Being jealous of Ben Kodadek's snowbird lifestyle and the wicked tan he has in March that I used to have living in South FL.

Hearing Morgan Clawson's breakdown of last fall's Dixie Cup and all the characters involved.

And last but not least Jason Topp "losing" his cell phone in his briefcase only to take 20 minutes to find in the front pocket.

Buck Wolter

Re: The Great MN GCA Get Together - Pictures and Recap now on page 3
« Reply #89 on: March 31, 2011, 12:46:16 PM »
Much like the children of Lake Wobegon the Minnesota GCA'ers are all above average. I didn't get to talk with everybody but got some scouting reports and it should be fun to learn a new area, other than the length of season it seems very promising. No clear decision between the Wilds (Rick's vote) and The Legends (Jeff's vote) for my home course this summer but that will give me a reason to play both.

Buck

I think that picture breaks the record for least alcohol in a GCA group photo.
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Dan Kelly

« Reply #90 on: March 31, 2011, 01:51:28 PM »
I think that picture breaks the record for least alcohol in a GCA group photo.

It's been a long, long winter. Minnesota's almost out of booze.

Jason Topp

« Reply #91 on: March 31, 2011, 03:15:21 PM »
Thanks Patrick for organizing and thanks to everyone else for attending and helping me find my phone!

I'll start setting up some OR days when the weather gets better with goal of getting everyone out before the season is done.

JC Jones

« Reply #92 on: March 31, 2011, 10:35:28 PM »
I can't tell you how surprised I am that Ben Kodadek was wearing pastels.  Did he have lobsters on his pants?
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Ben Kodadek

« Reply #93 on: April 01, 2011, 10:55:36 AM »
JC,

Let's get our fact straight:

They are hula girl pants

It's Lent, I ONLY wear pastels

Mac's in for a real treat on Monday at Rivermont

Regards,

Ben

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #94 on: April 01, 2011, 03:13:11 PM »
JC,

Let's get our fact straight:

They are hula girl pants

It's Lent, I ONLY wear pastels

Mac's in for a real treat on Monday at Rivermont

Regards,

Ben

Damn, I was sure that was your "Easter" outfit.

I'm curious though, what do you wear during Ordinary Time? Do you wear Gary Player black for the Good Friday Open?

RJ_Daley

« Reply #95 on: April 02, 2011, 11:00:57 AM »
I am also curious as to what I missed, had I been able to make the trek across the wide white nort country of Wisky, cross the St Croix of no return and venture into the land of the Minnieapple.  It appears to be a strikingly lavish arena you guys chose for the long lasting winter meeting- Scandinavian supper of repressed 'Sotan' duffers.  I mean, is that really a dancing elephant wrapped in some sort of a Imperial toga, on the mural behind you gents?  So, what was on the menu?  Did you have a 'served family style' Swede and Norwegian lefse and lutifisk all-you-care-to-eat feast?  And to survey that apparently after the banquet table, it looks like you really are devout 'lenteneers' with all those partially consumed glasses of water, 3 coffee cups ready for their refill warmer-uppers, and 2 carafes of 'Liebfraumilch'.  But, I see one participant hadn't even finished his glass of 'near-wine' in the foreground (or is that Cortland applejuice?).  Are the 4 ketchup bottles the traditional condiment of the lutefisk ritual?  My mouth is watering, if not fully running over, at the thought of what was missed!  ;) ;) ;D ;D  (sometimes there just aren't enough emoticons to express one's tongue in cheek, Dan!)  ;) ;D

I've yet to visit my daughter's new digs in Mound, but after I get this gruesome 3 weeks and counting kidney stone saga behind me, and can swing a club again, I hope I'll get to catch up with a few of you 'Sotans', and maybe see how far a golf ball flies in your rarified airs. 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #96 on: April 02, 2011, 11:29:26 AM »
Dick,

The photo is not in any way reflective of the amount of alcohol consumed. Somehow the beer glasses and wine goblets had been bussed just before the shutter snapped.

As for the mural, there was some debate as to whether it was a circus animal or one of our perennial Minnesota golf champions.

You would certainly be considered an honorary member of the MNGCA. Looking forward to seeing you sometime this summer.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Dan Kelly

« Reply #97 on: April 02, 2011, 02:36:26 PM »
I've yet to visit my daughter's new digs in Mound, but after I get this gruesome 3 weeks and counting kidney stone saga behind me, and can swing a club again, I hope I'll get to catch up with a few of you 'Sotans', and maybe see how far a golf ball flies in your rarified airs. 

Dick --

You are at the top of the list of candidates for honorary Gopher-hood.

I'm about to lend Wisconsin our Daughter No. 1, who'll be moving to Mad-town in June, after she graduates.

Just don't make me an Honorary Badger!

Dan

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back