News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bruce Leland

Re: The Great MN GCA Get Together - Wed. Mar. 30th 7:00pm - Please RSVP
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2011, 10:14:57 AM »
Can't make it this year guys.....will be in Alabama on the trail.  Would be up for a long overdue golf outing in MN though once the snow melts. Have fun and post copius notes of the evening.  I nominate Dan K and Rick S as scribes.

Bruce --

Sorry ... but what's said at Salut stays at Salut.

Oh, and by the way: "Can't make it this year guys" was sufficient. "[W]ill be in Alabama on the trail" is a bit of salt in our (still frozen) wounds!

Which reminds me of one of our paper's old advertising guys, who specialized in playing golf with car dealers. (You could have seen a picture of him on Page 1 the other day, at a golf outing with Denny Hecker.) EVERY TIME I'd run into him in the elevator, in the frozen dead of a Minnesota winter, he'd chirpily tell me about some damned golf trip he'd just returned from -- to Florida, or Arizona, or even, once, to Cypress Point. Probably the RTJ Trail, too. The bastage!

Dan

P.S. Have a great trip. Don't tell me about it when you return -- but, yes, let's play this year. My best to the girls!
Thanks Dan....sorry about the salt!  You had to bring up the girls - pass the salt.  They are on a flight to Palm Springs for 6 days and then to Monterey for a 3 day stint at Bayonet and Black Horse for CSU's Invitational.  I'll try to be more sensitive next time.  Take care and best to Rose.
"The mystique of Muirfield lingers on. So does the memory of Carnoustie's foreboding. So does the scenic wonder of Turnberry and the haunting incredibility of Prestwick, and the pleasant deception of Troon. But put them altogether and St. Andrew's can play their low ball for atmosphere." Dan Jenkins

Dan Kelly

« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2011, 11:28:23 AM »
Can't make it this year guys.....will be in Alabama on the trail.  Would be up for a long overdue golf outing in MN though once the snow melts. Have fun and post copius notes of the evening.  I nominate Dan K and Rick S as scribes.

Bruce --

Oh, and by the way: "Can't make it this year guys" was sufficient. "[W]ill be in Alabama on the trail" is a bit of salt in our (still frozen) wounds!

Which reminds me of one of our paper's old advertising guys, who specialized in playing golf with car dealers. (You could have seen a picture of him on Page 1 the other day, at a golf outing with Denny Hecker.) EVERY TIME I'd run into him in the elevator, in the frozen dead of a Minnesota winter, he'd chirpily tell me about some damned golf trip he'd just returned from -- to Florida, or Arizona, or even, once, to Cypress Point. Probably the RTJ Trail, too. The bastage!

Dan

P.S. Have a great trip. Don't tell me about it when you return -- but, yes, let's play this year. My best to the girls!
Thanks Dan....sorry about the salt!  You had to bring up the girls - pass the salt.  They are on a flight to Palm Springs for 6 days and then to Monterey for a 3 day stint at Bayonet and Black Horse for CSU's Invitational.  I'll try to be more sensitive next time.  Take care and best to Rose.

Rose is, even now, on a golf course at Jekyll Island, playing in their first tourney of the spring.

At least I played her cards right!
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Matt Vandelac

« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2011, 08:38:22 PM »
I'll go!  Any interest in playing if we can?

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2011, 10:50:59 PM »
I'll go!  Any interest in playing if we can?

Got you down Matt.

Not sure what might be open to play a week from Wednesday but at the least we should use the dinner to plan a round soon after.

Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

Buck Wolter

In case anyone is checking in I won't be able to make it -- combination of weather and work conspired against me.  Just when it looked like we'd be able to play golf soon it gets covered up again -- do these winters ever end?

I was really looking forward to hearing about Heritage Links, Northfield GC and Willingers among others. Have a great time.

Buck
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Jeff Shelman

Sorry you're not going to be able to make it Buck.

The good news is that I don't think you're going to miss any Heritage Links talk. That is one course that isn't on my agenda.

Bruce Leland

« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2011, 10:05:07 PM »

Bruce --

Dan

Rose is, even now, on a golf course at Jekyll Island, playing in their first tourney of the spring.

At least I played her cards right!
Oh to be in college again.....I might actually make something of myself if given the chance.  Either that or I would have played a hell of alot more golf and been much the better for it.  Salut! to all who attend the nights festivities.  Slainte!
"The mystique of Muirfield lingers on. So does the memory of Carnoustie's foreboding. So does the scenic wonder of Turnberry and the haunting incredibility of Prestwick, and the pleasant deception of Troon. But put them altogether and St. Andrew's can play their low ball for atmosphere." Dan Jenkins

Andy Ryall

I would love to attend but I will be coaching my son's soccer practice in Mound.   Please keep me in mind for future events!

Thanks-
Andy

Patrick Hodgdon

Every one RSVPed still coming tomorrow night?

Who else is going to geek out and where their True's?
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

Shane Wright

I'm in

Jason Topp

I'm in but may be a little late.

Jeff Shelman

I am in. I will be there.

PCCraig

I'll be there. I'll do my best to be there as close to 7 as I can.

Looking forward to it!
H.P.S.

Dan Kelly

In like Flynn (William, not Errol).

Morgan Clawson

I'm in.

Fun to read some of the earlier posts that talked about golfing today!

Rick Shefchik

I'll be visiting Edina CC today for some research and photo-hunting prior to our gathering. I'll probably get to Salut a little early, which will be my explanation if I demonstrate my usual incoherence.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Dan Kelly

I'll be visiting Edina CC today for some research and photo-hunting prior to our gathering. I'll probably get to Salut a little early, which will be my explanation if I demonstrate my usual incoherence.

Oh, no! These guys are expecting coherence?

Edina has a great photo collection (on the walls) of TC courses on their opening days. Or maybe it's TC clubhouses on their opening days. Outside the men's locker room, if I remember right.

Patrick Hodgdon

We are all set for 12 GCAers at 7pm. Sounds like they have a long table for us in the back.

Looking forward to some incoherent discussion from Rick about his research on the MN classics.

Also the rumor is that the newest Minnesotan has to pay for dinner to become a member of the MN GCA club. Welcome Pat! ;)

Shane Wright

Is Pat officially a Minnesotan now, or is he just here on business?

Mark Johnson

looking forward to meeting everyone tonight...  i assume the table is in pat's name

John_Conley

What'd I miss?

Patrick Hodgdon

What'd I miss?

Well it was a pretty nice get together until 'Mr. Big City Chicagoan' Pat Craig showed up and ordered not one but TWO bottles of wine and expected us 'Minnesota Nice' guys to split the whole tab with him. I mean come on, all I had was water!!!!! 

JC Jones

I mean come on, all I had was water!!!!! 

This is obviously not true.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

PCCraig

What'd I miss?

Well it was a pretty nice get together until 'Mr. Big City Chicagoan' Pat Craig showed up and ordered not one but TWO bottles of wine and expected us 'Minnesota Nice' guys to split the whole tab with him. I mean come on, all I had was water!!!!! 

I wanted bottle service, so I thought wine was a good compromise! ;)

It was great meeting everyone in person last night, especially as a new transplant to the city. Lots of good golf recommendations as well as much needed navigation tips. Hopefully I'll be able to get in a round or two with everyone in the near future.

Thanks again for setting up Patrick.
H.P.S.

Dan Kelly

What'd I miss?

12 of the greatest guys in the history of the world.

And then over at our table....

You missed good food and a bunch of good conversation -- not all of it about golf, though, of course, most of it was. Some of it was even about gca.com. And some of that was about you! (Don't worry. You came out the winner in that particular discussion.)

Thanks, Patrick, for setting it up. Well done.

(Next time, let's find a place that includes the tip in the bill. I felt a little like Father Guido Sarducci, examining the actual bill from the Last Supper.)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back