News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Terry Lavin

Re: Do you guys spit ?
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2011, 10:46:27 AM »
This could be an exhibit if one ever wanted to explain why golf (professional and amateur alike) is shrinking instead of growing.  Is it inappropriate, vulgar and inconsiderate?  Yes.  Is it worthy of investigation and wringing of the hands in the blogosphere?  NFW.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

John Shimp

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2011, 10:49:04 AM »
Spitting doesnt bother me.  Golf is an outside game with plenty of space if you have to spit.  Spitting on the green is not cool though.

If I let stuff like that bother me, which I dont, smoking would get to me more.  Golfers fussing around with their cigars/cigarettes.  Leaving butts on the ground.  I know there are all those iconic pictures of Hogan and Palmer with cigarettes hanging out of their mouths while they putt but everyone seemed to smoke back then.  They needed their nicotine to relax and play it seems.  All that said, folks can obviously smoke if they want as long as they don't litter the course with butts or hold up play trying to light cigars in the wind.

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2011, 10:54:30 AM »

Carl Johnson

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2011, 11:03:50 AM »
Not on the golf course, but must admit that when I run I do spit, as do many other runners.  I have sinus problems and lots of drainage, exacerbated when I run. Sorry.  I do try to do it when I think no one is looking.

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2011, 11:08:24 AM »
Spitting detracts from the architecture.
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Terry Lavin

« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2011, 11:14:34 AM »
Spitting detracts from the architecture.

Jon,

Excellent point, especially if players tend to spit in the same place regularly!
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2011, 11:15:51 AM »
Spitting should bother everyone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuberculosis

TB was once a major killer and is once again making a comeback.  I don't care if Mr "Famous Sportsman" can provide a clean test, everytime he spits on TV (ANY SPORT), he is condoning an unaceptable habit. All sports need to take action as athletes are setting an unaceptable example.

I don't watch a lot of female sports, but I can't reacall seeing a female athlete expectorating.
Let's make GCA grate again!

David Camponi

« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2011, 11:16:49 AM »
I have played many rounds with Nicklaus and Palmer and although I have never seen Nicklaus spit; I have seen Palmer blow a snot rocket right in the cup; it is all in good fun.

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2011, 11:17:49 AM »
I agree Terry, my home course is incredibly wet on the approaches. The mix of Kikuya, Ted Robinson and retired baseball players is an effective death sentence for properly played 4 irons from 90 yards.
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

JR Potts

« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2011, 11:50:44 AM »
I've been known to throw in a chew on the golf course....and never really thought about the spitting.

I guess I will now.

I think the thing that jerks a lot of us off is the brazen manner in which Tiger did it.  Or maybe everyone is so sick of him that his mannerisims grate on us.

I proclaim to the golfing world that while I hope that I will not chew on the course after double bogeys anymore, I will be very discreet in spitting on the fringe or rough and will not spit on the green...unless some of the remnants leak out of my mouth while grinding over a 3 footer.

Steve Salmen

« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2011, 12:30:56 PM »
The only reason this stupid topic came up is because Tiger did it.  Everything he does in public is recorded and scrutinized.  Answer this question honestly:  If Tiger invited you for a game of golf, would you say, "No thank you, I disapprove of your lack of golfing etiquette, especially spitting on the green"?

Doug Wright

« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2011, 12:45:20 PM »
If Tiger invited you for a game of golf, would you say, "No thank you, I disapprove of your lack of golfing etiquette, especially spitting on the green"?

Maybe, but not just for his spitting; I don't know which professional celebrity-athlete I'm more sick of these days, Tiger or Carmelo Anthony.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Travis Dewire

« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2011, 12:54:25 PM »

It’s all very simple, a total lack of respect for the Game, other players and ultimately oneself for not understand the basic Rules of Courses Etiquette.

There is no excuse, you spit, you do it deliberately and all the time without consideration for anyone else except yourself.

A filthy and unacceptable habit

Melvyn

you must have never tried any of your psychedelic ice cubes!!!

You are so beyond foolish it is amusing. Let those that have not sinned, cast the first stone. Im sure you have never once, in all your years of living and playing golf, never once, spit on a golf course. HAHA, give me a break!

In all my years of playing, winning, and receiving awards, I do not think I have ever once been accused of having a lack of disrespect for the game, myself, other players, and the ettiquette of the game.

Go play any significant Amateur tournament in the country, and watch how many people are spitting saliva and dip on the greens.

Go tell David Duval exactly what you just wrote

I wouldn't care if you dumped a bucket of spit in front of the hole. Putt through it, make your putt, wash your ball. Stop crying because not every etiquette rule is held to a tee.

Would you verbally reprimand someone for walking in your line, with no mal intent? As i think no one spits on greens, for malicious reason

Bill_McBride

« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2011, 12:57:52 PM »
I do agree Melvyn gets the nod for Disgusting Post of the Decade for the ice cube suggestion.

But the decade is young.......

Garland Bayley

« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2011, 01:04:59 PM »
I only spit on Ted Robinson courses.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Travis Dewire

« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2011, 01:16:13 PM »
Haha!!

Bill,

I was more so implying that someone close minded like that, has surely never tried any substance containing psychedelic alkaloids.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2011, 01:18:18 PM »
Haha!!

Bill,

I was more so implying that someone close minded like that, has surely never tried any substance containing psychedelic alkaloids.

Just keep in mind, Travis, if you can remember the '60's, you weren't there.

Rob Bice

« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2011, 01:21:57 PM »
In all my years of playing, winning, and receiving awards, I do not think I have ever once been accused of having a lack of disrespect for the game, myself, other players, and the ettiquette of the game.

Never been accused of having a "lack of disrespect"?  You must spit everywhere, walk in people's lines, talk during swings, etc.  That would be an interesting twist on the game.
"medio tutissimus ibis" - Ovid

Carl Nichols

« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2011, 01:25:09 PM »
I agree Terry, my home course is incredibly wet on the approaches. The mix of Kikuya, Ted Robinson and retired baseball players is an effective death sentence for properly played 4 irons from 90 yards.

It also makes it harder to pull your beard when you drip spit into it.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2011, 01:41:38 PM »
The only reason this stupid topic came up is because Tiger did it.  Everything he does in public is recorded and scrutinized.  Answer this question honestly:  If Tiger invited you for a game of golf, would you say, "No thank you, I disapprove of your lack of golfing etiquette, especially spitting on the green"?

Steve,

Yes.

In Singapore post WWII the government stopped the Chinese habit of spitting everywhere by decreeing a couple of days in the hokey or a couple of lashes. Its now the cleanest  big city in the world.

Bob

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2011, 01:42:53 PM »
If you ever have a behavior question, just ask yourself "What would Bob Huntley do?"  :)

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2011, 01:44:25 PM »
Travis

Clearly you have few manners and find it acceptable to spit. My Parents made it clear it’s not acceptable. You have a problem use the toilet/restroom. You have none close by use paper tissues but be discrete.

Think of others, if you can’t then that makes a clear statement about you, not me, others or the game.

Why not just masturbate at the same time after all its just body fluids, no you would not dream of doing that in public, for some reason you may hesitate, well just do the same the next time you decide that you may want to spit. Show some respect for others on the course, simple Etiquette or is it just too simple for some to understand.

I hope in future if someone address you as Gentleman, point out his mistake saying you happily spit in public or is that in the face of the public?

If you use a paper bag when drinking from the bottle why not use a paper bad for your other bad habit?

Enjoy your day

Melvyn

PS  Have an ice cube and chew over the matter

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2011, 01:54:09 PM »
You know what this thread has done -- it has reminded me..no, pointed a stern finger at me...about how much of a pig I've been for the last decade, smoking cigarettes on the course one after the other and stamping them out on the fairways and tees, leaving butts around all over.  Until today I comforted myself with the thought that I never lit one or put one out on a green....but this thread has rid me of that comfort. if I smoke on a golf course (and I'm trying to quit that too), from now on I'll bring a tin or bag with me a pick up all my butts.  I'm sorry...really....suddenly I can't believe how inconsiderate Ive been.

Peter
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 01:55:41 PM by PPallotta »

PThomas

« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2011, 01:54:16 PM »
imho it has officially become time to delete this thread
198 played, only 2 to go!!

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2011, 01:57:08 PM »
Someone asked if anybody here hadn't spat on the course or green,  I have not.

When I watch the World Series of baseball on TV and see theses icons spewing whatever is in their mouth onto the perimeter of the dugout, I want to throw up.

Bob

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back