News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sandy Smith

Do you guys spit ?
« on: February 13, 2011, 10:37:57 PM »
I really think Tiger is great, but in the groups I play with, spitting on a green is totally unacceptable. At age 50, have I missed something? I don't remember Palmer, Nicklaus, Watson or Price ever hacking up on the course. Just interested on your thoughts.
Firm greens, firmer fairways.

Duncan Cheslett

Re: Do you guys spit ?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 11:32:19 PM »
I agree totally.

I'm also 50, and have my fair share of bad habits. Spitting in public however, whether on the golf course or on the street, has got to be evidence of a seriously flawed personality.

Only scumbags spit.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 11:34:13 PM by Duncan Cheslett »

Doug Siebert

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 01:44:47 AM »
I tend to get a bit of a runny nose when it is cool out (low 60s or under) or obviously if I have a bit of a cold.  I'll spit, because swallowing it just doesn't do the trick, but I always spit somewhere people don't walk.  Never on a tee, in the fairway, and definitely not on or around a green!
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 03:23:38 AM »
No.

I was brought by parents who viewed spitting as disgusting. I view it as un-neccessary, and scold my children if they do it.

Perhaps TW has a medical condition where he produces excess saliva.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 03:56:32 AM »
I really think Tiger is great, but in the groups I play with, spitting on a green is totally unacceptable. At age 50, have I missed something? I don't remember Palmer, Nicklaus, Watson or Price ever hacking up on the course. Just interested on your thoughts.
Sandy,

There are two postulates in your first sentence you are struggling to get to agree.  I'd suggest that, in questioning whether you are missing something with the second you are ignoring the possibility that it is your first that is incorrect.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 07:16:37 AM »

Spitting in Public shows how inconsiderate our Society has become.  A simple display of respect for ones fellow man, would you think have been paramount, but alas that thought has not even seen the flicker of the light of day from the subculture minds of these Neanderthals.

Perhaps we should all spit when we are invited to the Homes of these constant offenders, then they might get the message. Spitting is abhorrent and totally disrespectful, if required please do it the privacy of your own home or bathroom.

Melvyn

PS I suppose if you have a cart you could collect all your excess phlegm and chill it with your beer, perhaps it could become a brown/green collection of psychedelic  ice cubes for those who disrespect their Single Malt by adding Ice – oh what a thought, where is that spittoon - quick.     

Tim Martin

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 07:29:41 AM »

Spitting in Public shows how inconsiderate our Society has become.  A simple display of respect for ones fellow man, would you think have been paramount, but alas that thought has not even seen the flicker of the light of day from the subculture minds of these Neanderthals.

Perhaps we should all spit when we are invited to the Homes of these constant offenders, then they might get the message. Spitting is abhorrent and totally disrespectful, if required please do it the privacy of your own home or bathroom.

Melvyn

PS I suppose if you have a cart you could collect all your excess phlegm and chill it with your beer, perhaps it could become a brown/green collection of psychedelic  ice cubes for those who disrespect their Single Malt by adding Ice – oh what a thought, where is that spittoon - quick.     

Melvin-There may very well be a few who never drink scotch again after reading that post.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 07:45:35 AM »
Brian

I try to place some humour into the cart subject. But alas as far as Tiger, he has only himself to blame.  I have never been anti Tiger, just react to his stupid actions on course which I believe should be covered by the Etiquette Rules and a Referee with some guts.

Melvyn

PS Carts I can live with if it helps those who find it difficult in walking (I understand that point well), but if you cannot judge or think for yourself what are you doing on a Golf course in the first place. Distance info from outside sources – even Caddies is not fair or reasonable and is an aid to the player – Christ, Brian if you need some aid to tell you what club to use why are you TRYING to play golf. That process of judging distance and selecting club is one of the joys of the game because its instinctive, not because you have a crib sheet. See got them both in again!!!

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 07:58:33 AM »

Tim

Only trying to stop guys using ice in their Single Malt, but a little water (teaspoon size) if fine, just not ice.

Melvyn

PS  Kelly, Pee on say a hot axil is fine and legal in the UK, goes back to the time when they got hot so need urgent water, but pee in public without your axle and you are under arrest. Think Mark can give us the actual legal stance, problem though, can we persuade the Police that carts, be it a push cart or cart with seats is part of this old law.  Although do not spit on the axle as you could be liable for arrest.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 08:14:31 AM »

Brian

The couple of drops of water offset the oils and make the drink better. Try it with a small dram, first try with no water then add 5 or 10ml of water (a little drop more if you must but do not dilute the Malt), then tell me which you enjoy. You may note that the  fierceness has mellowed allowing you to enjoy the Malt

Melvyn

John Chilver-Stainer

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 08:39:08 AM »
That was quite a gobbie he had stored there (see it on youtube).

As Nick Faldo commented, there are other people coming up behind him – that glob would reach out and grab the ball as it passed by. At least spit in the hole!!!

As far as greens etiquette goes - the worst I’ve seen was at a Pro Am when a highly respected person of the golfing community who was playing with Seve decided to buy himself an ice cream cone going up the 10th Fairway.

On arrival at the Green he placed his cone on the green about 5 feet from the flag to take his last putt, which had enough time to melt in the beating sun to leave a significant amount of vanilla cream on the Penn L93.

After the gentleman putted out Seve gamely offered a tactful “Good Putt”, avoiding any mention of the offensive stain. After all he was his client for a course renovation!!!!   

Mark Pearce

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 08:40:47 AM »
Kelly,

Do you pee on the greens?  Do you pee knowing that your playing partners are watching?  Would you do so if you knew the cameras were rolling?

I suspect the answers to these questions are all no, since I don't recall having noticed you spit or pee when I enjoyed playing with you at Muirfield.  FWIW I also pee on the course (well, off to the side, discretely (I hope) hidden in shrubbery, mostly), as, I suspect, do a majority of GCAers.  I've certainly been aware of other GCAers disapperaing for a pee.  I'm yet to see one spit but that doesn't mean they don't, just that they are discrete and do it somewhere it won't be obvious and nor will the aftermath.  
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Travis Dewire

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 08:50:57 AM »
I agree totally.

I'm also 50, and have my fair share of bad habits. Spitting in public however, whether on the golf course or on the street, has got to be evidence of a seriously flawed personality.

Only scumbags spit.

REALLY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? YOU NEVER SPIT SOME PHLEM UP?!?!?!?!?!

I'm addicted to chewing tobacco, so there I'm a scumbag?!?!?! Geez I'm having a tough day. David Duval is a scumbag for dippin and spitting, I mean the list on the pga tour goes on and on for chew users. Guess they are all scumbags for spitting too

Guess we all are just dealing with our "flawed personalities"

spare me, please.

Tim Martin

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 08:53:51 AM »
Worst spitting performance has to go to Sergio Garcia a few years back when he fired one right into the cup. Now that was pure class. 

Travis Dewire

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2011, 08:56:23 AM »
Go on the edges of greens if you need to spit

And if you can't make it, big deal

A little spit huh? How long is that spit going to stand idle in the baking sun? Not very.

You are worried about the germs in a little saliva?? What about the millions of pesticides and chemicals that you are touching every hole, and drinking every 3rd hole? Think the saliva is worse than that?

I understand you are grossed out or put off by a little spit, but I say get over it. We have all spit on greens, and we have all had to play through spit. yeah it sucks, but your playing golf, and you will leave. Seems pretty simply to get over

Bill_McBride

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2011, 09:07:28 AM »

Spitting is uncouth, but what really hacks me off is cigarette butts littering the course. It really amazes me how some people obviously think that's no problem.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2011, 09:10:33 AM »

You are worried about the germs in a little saliva?? What about the millions of pesticides and chemicals that you are touching every hole, and drinking every 3rd hole? Think the saliva is worse than that?

Yes. Yes. Yes, a million times, yes.

Bill Hyde

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2011, 09:32:02 AM »
Watson took up chewing tobacco when he quit smoking...so did I. It's a bad habit for sure, but I am discreet about spitting and never do it on the green. Travis, you are not the only scumbag on this site!

jeffwarne

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2011, 09:34:26 AM »

Spitting is uncouth, but what really hacks me off is cigarette butts littering the course. It really amazes me how some people obviously think that's no problem.

As well as Cigar butts and ashes left on tees and greens.
I really like it when there's a pile outside a public area where they obviously slipped outside for a smoke.
If you dumped a pile of butts in their living room would they get the message?
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2011, 09:37:19 AM »
I always thought it just evaporated?

Apparently it does irrevocable damage to other human beings? I guess I'll stop then. GEEZ..... I wash my hands after I go to the bathroom, does that make up for my occasional spitting in public?

You guys need to spend some time in China, you will get over your spitting paranoia quite fast, not to mention the babies urinating in the fruit section of the grocery store, or next to you on a 15 hour plane ride........

Anyways, this is why you take your shoes off when you enter a house.

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2011, 09:45:58 AM »
guess I am a scumbag too... (some people thought this already) but I try to be discreet. 
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

Joe Bausch

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2011, 09:49:35 AM »
guess I am a scumbag too... (some people thought this already) but I try to be discreet. 

Dear Doug,

People don't say that about you.  Well, not as far as you know.

Sincerely,
Ty Webb

;)
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2011, 09:55:39 AM »

It’s all very simple, a total lack of respect for the Game, other players and ultimately oneself for not understand the basic Rules of Courses Etiquette.

There is no excuse, you spit, you do it deliberately and all the time without consideration for anyone else except yourself.

A filthy and unacceptable habit

Melvyn

Jason Topp

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2011, 09:58:01 AM »
While I am not generally a spitter, this is an area with a fundamental cultural difference between the US and UK.  In the US, spitting is considered mildly offensive but not a big deal (watch a baseball game).  In the UK it is considered much more vulgar.  

Greg Taylor

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2011, 10:38:28 AM »

It’s all very simple, a total lack of respect for the Game, other players and ultimately oneself for not understand the basic Rules of Courses Etiquette.

There is no excuse, you spit, you do it deliberately and all the time without consideration for anyone else except yourself.

A filthy and unacceptable habit

Melvyn

I'm with you.

Given Tiger's recent history he should be on best behaviour if he wants the public back again.

Great golfer don't get me wrong. As a person... hmmm not so sure.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back