News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Re: Pebble Beach Pro-Am
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2011, 08:58:18 PM »

Patrick, He played it perfectly, for a person without low marker ability.

I've probably played with him 50-100 times.
He was as low as a zero handicap and qualified for the USGA Senior Amateur not long ago.
Had he listened to me on the last two holes of a USGA Senior Open Qualifier, he would have played in that too.
For a long while he had one of the best putting strokes I had seen on an Amateur.
[/b]

A fade off the rear of the front right bunker which kicked it right onto the green, at the hole. He missed his birdie putt but played the hole exactly how one should. Again, considering his ability.

He's been a low handicap player for a long, long time.
He's won his club championship at Hollywood numerous times (not that long ago) against good golfers, so I don't know how you can demean his ability.

If he has a fault, and we all have them, I think his course management may have been an issue and that he may get too analytical on each shot, but, he's a good golfer.
[/b]

Everybody likes to diss this hole saying there's no right way to play it.

I would always tell my loops to play for the apron and if they pushed it a little they'd get the kick from god. And if they didn't push it, they'd have a relatively easy pitch/putt from the apron. Trying to land on this green with a high soft shot isn't easy for a pro. As a matter of fact, I would guess the landing area is smaller than the top left shelf on 14.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2011, 10:21:17 PM »
Pat. I meant no disrespect for his ability. I only saw his swing on that one shot. He looked like many of the other AM's in the comp. Tentative swing.

I was hoping you were interested in discussing the architecture of that much mis understood, and maligned hole. 

Now that I know he was good enough to actually try to play that shot off the kickplate, his caddie should've given him a better read. :)
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2011, 10:56:06 PM »
It's never really felt like the start of the season for me either, typically because the field isn't usually as strong as it was for even the Buick Invitational a week or two before.  I do enjoy it from time to time because of the setting more than anything, and I can more than tolerate Bill Murray.  He's one of my favorites to begin with and to me his act at Pebble has never gotten stale, as you just never know what he's going to do.  That's a lot more than can be said for 99% of the rest of the amateurs, especially those CBS sitcom stars who get more coverage of their round than Tiger usually does.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 11:52:52 PM by Brian_Sleeman »

JR Potts

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2011, 08:33:03 AM »
This is the worst third-round leaderboard I've seen in a long time.

For me and my college teammate and good friend, DA Points, I would say that it is almost a perfect leaderboard.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 10:45:09 AM by Ryan Potts »

Carl Nichols

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2011, 09:12:58 AM »
Ryan-
Very cool. Where'd you guys go to school?

Mike Hendren

« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2011, 09:23:15 AM »
Is it just me or does Ray Ramono come across as a total tool?

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Adam Clayman

« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2011, 09:31:24 AM »
Michael. Did you see Feherty's interview with Lopez? Now that was a tool.   
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Mark Pearce

« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2011, 09:36:08 AM »
The best golf being played this weekend, by the best players, is in Dubai.  The Sky coverage of Pebble Beach (I guess CBS's) is so dull as to make me turn it off.

However, the best golf is sometimes boring.
But never as dull as watching hackers play, or joke about playing. 
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

JR Potts

« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2011, 10:29:07 AM »
Ryan-

The University of Illinois.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 10:44:25 AM by Ryan Potts »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2011, 10:39:23 AM »
Pat. I meant no disrespect for his ability. I only saw his swing on that one shot. He looked like many of the other AM's in the comp. Tentative swing.

I was hoping you were interested in discussing the architecture of that much mis understood, and maligned hole. 

Adam,

I've never understood how PBGC or any of its holes were justifiably maligned.
It's a great golf course.
And the holes range from good to great to spectacular in their use of the land and challenge.

And, sitting by the sea, the effect of the WIND can't be discounted.
[/b]

Now that I know he was good enough to actually try to play that shot off the kickplate, his caddie should've given him a better read. :)

Maury's in his 70's so it's not like his vision, nerves, hand-eye co-ordination and touch are at their keenest point.

I have a friend, a good golfer, who, after missing any shot, claims, "caddy error"
[/b](;;)

mike_beene

« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2011, 10:49:59 AM »
maybe this is a stretch,but the 12th ,at least when the course is firm,seems a little redanish.Maybe it is just the slope and the right to left feel of the run out.It doesn't have the 15th at N. Berwick look,but it can play about the same.

Sean Leary

« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2011, 11:10:31 AM »

For me and my college teammate and good friend, DA Points, I would say that it is almost a perfect leaderboard.

Seems like he hit a couple of irons too good yesterday and spun them off greens. Hope he wins today.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2011, 11:11:24 AM »

Seems like he hit a couple of irons too good yesterday and spun them off greens. Hope he wins today.

Me too.

Steve Kline

« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2011, 11:40:53 AM »
my least favorite tournament of the year to watch.The comedians trying to be funny gets old.

Amen.

I despise this tournament and avoid watching it like the plague. Nothing worse than watching a bunch of amateur hacks and people trying to be funny. If you want to watch sucky amateurs play just go to your local muni. Why would I care to watch Kevin Costner or Ray Romano play golf?

JR Potts

« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2011, 11:55:46 AM »
Brian:

Yep, they're on again today.  Hopefully, CBS' abysmal coverage of this event improves today though.

Ryan

Adam Clayman

« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2011, 12:06:03 PM »
Only the Am's that make the cut are on today. I thought?

Greg McMullin

« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2011, 01:08:39 PM »
Golf Channel coverage with Faldo and Kelly just comes on and there are two groups waiting on the number two tee. Faldo says the rounds have been taking 6 hours -- unbelievable! This event is more and more like a long commercial.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2011, 01:17:38 PM »
Ryan-

The University of Illinois.

Ryan,

You may be interested to know that Bill Murray's caddie, Andrew Whitacre, played on the Illinois golf team.

A couple of years ago Bill took him to Scotland and he payed in the Dunhill and was under par for the tournament. His Mother was my assistant and friend. Andrew is a business man living in Houston and this is his only caddieing gig of the year.

Bob

Craig Sweet

« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2011, 02:52:18 PM »
Tony Romo...Tony Romo...Tony Romo...how much screen time did his pro partner get?  I did not see him hit a shot....oh, and that pro partner was John Daly.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

William_G

« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2011, 02:59:22 PM »
The best golf being played this weekend, by the best players, is in Dubai.  The Sky coverage of Pebble Beach (I guess CBS's) is so dull as to make me turn it off.

A race to the bottom is not my deal, but this tournament helps grow the game, hope Bill Murray wins.
It's all about the golf!

William_G

« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2011, 03:50:17 PM »
Sky just did a nice little piece on the history of PB and the Monterey area while the Golf Channel was switching coverage to CBS - they kept referring to it as the best piece of land on which a golf course has been built ever - no mention of Cypress!   

Cypress is a great course no doubt, but Pebble does have better land, ie.more ocean frontage. Thanks
It's all about the golf!

JR Potts

« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2011, 03:59:28 PM »
Bob:

I heard the he went to Illinois but I didn't know that he played there as well.  Should be a fun and nerve wracking next few hours.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2011, 04:27:27 PM »
Bob:

I heard the he went to Illinois but I didn't know that he played there as well.  Should be a fun and nerve wracking next few hours.
[/quote\]

Will DA Points, Bill Murray AND Egypt all make history in the same week?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 04:37:45 PM by Terry Lavin »
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Mark Pearce

« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2011, 04:36:53 PM »

A race to the bottom is not my deal, but this tournament helps grow the game, hope Bill Murray wins.
Does it?  Really?  Your throw away last comment suggests even you don't believe that.  I certainly don't.  Rich celebrities treating the game as secondary.  I don't see how anything grows from that other than disillusion.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2011, 04:57:24 PM »
Go Points!! Did you like that one Ryan?!
ILL-

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back