News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Martin

Pebble Beach Pro-Am
« on: February 11, 2011, 09:00:59 PM »
Is the Pebble Beach Pro-Am the real season opener in terms of interest for most golf fans? Its contested on an architecturally significant course in one of the prettiest spots on the planet. Recognizable celebrities from the business community, professional sports, and the entertainment industry are paired with the PGA Tour pros in an entertaining and somewhat drama filled format for purposes of making the Pro-Am cut. Despite the wealth and fame of most of the amateurs a low digit handicap is not a guarantee. This leads to a number of sub standard shots and situations and goes a long way to humanizing what we all know is a very difficult game. The guy that is the CEO of a Fortune 500 company is a plus 4 in the boardroom but a 16 at Pebble. It raises a ton of money for charity and the celebrities are mostly good sports who can have a laugh at their own expense. Is there anyone that is not more focused on Pro Football in the month of January? Maybe I`m wrong but what`s not to like about Pebble?

Anton

Re: Pebble Beach Pro-Am
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 09:06:20 PM »
Great event!  For sure!

But for me the start of the season is the true opener in Hawaii.  Beautiful setting and makes me forget the cold weather I am living in when I see those beautiful palm trees.  I for one would like to see people moved to the summer.  This year is the first good weather year in a long time.  I think that the weather has hurt its potential to be a marquee event again with the BIG players in the field. 

But you got it right on......The courses are spectacular! 
“I've spent most of my life golfing - the rest I've just wasted”

Brian Marion

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 09:10:43 PM »
Is the Pebble Beach Pro-Am the real season opener in terms of interest for most golf fans? Its contested on an architecturally significant course in one of the prettiest spots on the planet. Recognizable celebrities from the business community, professional sports, and the entertainment industry are paired with the PGA Tour pros in an entertaining and somewhat drama filled format for purposes of making the Pro-Am cut. Despite the wealth and fame of most of the amateurs a low digit handicap is not a guarantee. This leads to a number of sub standard shots and situations and goes a long way to humanizing what we all know is a very difficult game. The guy that is the CEO of a Fortune 500 company is a plus 4 in the boardroom but a 16 at Pebble. It raises a ton of money for charity and the celebrities are mostly good sports who can have a laugh at their own expense. Is there anyone that is not more focused on Pro Football in the month of January? Maybe I`m wrong but what`s not to like about Pebble?

The Master's.....for most in the country marks the beginning

But the Crosby Clam Bake is fun to watch, esp when the weather is as nice as it is there now.

mike_beene

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 09:56:44 PM »
my least favorite tournament of the year to watch.The comedians trying to be funny gets old.

Scott Warren

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 10:01:17 PM »
my least favorite tournament of the year to watch.The comedians trying to be funny gets old.

Amen.

jeffwarne

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 10:47:11 PM »

Bill Murray is a nice guy. I've enjoyed watching many of his movies.
He's overbearing as a golf partner and it's rarely funny to watch during the tournament.
But it's better than Ray Romano.
I do enjoy Sunday watching Pebble.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Keith Buntrock

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 10:52:22 PM »
Being from the Midwest with something like 3 feet of snow on the ground at the present time, I am more than okay with watching anybody hack it around Pebble.

Although I can see why it would be uninteresting for some people to watch golf with the comedians.

Sean Leary

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 10:56:16 PM »
For the people attending the event, Murray is the biggest attaction. He makes it fun for the spectators, like him or not.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 10:58:19 PM »
Tim,

What's not to like ?

The dog and pony show that's masquerading as a golf event.

The network parading, pandering and pushing their show's stars in front of the camera at every opportunity to the exclusion of telecasting good golf..

It's gotten AWFUL.

Chris Berman, who I happen to like, was a baffoon yesterday.
It looked like he took a twelve (stroke adjusted), yet, the cameras followed his stumbling trek to the exclusion of PGA Tour Pros doing what they do best, playing golf.

It become a farce, a circus, not a golf event that I used to look forward to and enjoy watching.

End of rant
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 11:00:09 PM by Patrick_Mucci »

Sam Morrow

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 11:11:29 PM »
Saturday is the worst, CBS doesn't show real golf, I think Faldo wants to gouge his own eyes out.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 02:43:07 AM »
Let's separate the TV coverage from the tournament.  The Tournament is 10, the TV coverage is (and has been for the last several years) a 2.

Enjoy the golf on Sunday and endure the telecast dominated by breathless Jim Nantz narration, whale shots and CBS TV show plugs on Saturday, if you're so inclined.

In terms of the amateur play that is televised...most of us can relate to the "how the heck did I do that" shot that pops up out of nowhere playing a top-level course...the hosel rocket or 150 yd wedge shot.   But for most of us there isn't a camera nearby. 
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

JR Potts

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, 08:05:45 AM »

He's overbearing as a golf partner and it's rarely funny to watch during the tournament.

He's clearly not that overbearing as his partner, DA Points, is in second....and I bet, DA wins this event this weekend.

bstark

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2011, 08:29:32 AM »
 Hey Pat I agree, alot of fluff in between the real golf but that's what DVR is for....

Record it in the afternoon, come home, start a fire and fast foward with your beverage of choice past whales, Chris Berman's hideous swing and Jim Crooked Neck Nantz waxing poetic...

There's your golf in a compact 45 minutes!

Cheers

Adam Clayman

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2011, 08:40:11 AM »
There were actual moments on the TGC where the coverage was back and forth golf shots. Like the old Roone Arledge days.

Did anyone see Maury Povich play the 12th?

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2011, 10:07:49 AM »
At least we get to see an occasional HD blimp view of the back nine at Cypress.

WW

jeffwarne

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2011, 03:20:43 PM »

He's clearly not that overbearing as his partner, DA Points, is in second....and I bet, DA wins this event this weekend.

Ryan,
He evidently tones it down when HE's in contention.
Nice to see them both playing well-I actually enjoyed the coverage today and Pebble looked spectatular.
Murray is a member at a club I used to teach at and I played a couple pro-ams with him.
He certainly will test your powers of focus_I remember playing the last hole tied for the lead in one and backing off twice as he started whistling just as I addressed it- twice.
Funny, but poor timing to a young assistant pro trying to accomplish a goal.(perhaps he was trying to lighten the moment)
Murray grew up playing the game and has always had a beautiful swing.
The 18 handicap he used to sport was silly- 12 seems about right.And no doubt he's played a lot lower than that (did you see some of his bunker shots)?
He is a nice guy-and he does like the stage.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 03:32:18 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Greg McMullin

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2011, 03:56:19 PM »
What I often wonder is what the pros really think as they watch their amateur partners hack it around "Fore Left!" - "Fore RIGHT" - "Fore". It's one thing during the Wed Pro Am - it must be quite another when it's 3 days plus.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2011, 05:57:25 PM »
This is the worst third-round leaderboard I've seen in a long time.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2011, 06:33:56 PM »
To my eye, the tournamnet mirrors American society. At some point, the Professionals, the Course and the Game became secondary to Celebrity.

Many a weekend at Casa Cronan was spent in front of the fireplace, watching the Crosby, praying to God Almighty that my Dad would not see/hear something that reminded him of the half-shoveled driveway that awaited completion. And I would stare, in wonder, at the golf course and the endless plaid pants on the tv screen. Nowadays, I still sit in front of a roaring fire while watching but find myself asking my 9 year old twins, "Who is Oliver Hudson" and trying to explain to them, in vain, why George Lopez is apparently funny to some.

David, The Clambake's history is one where the pro game is not the fore front. Yes, it's evolved into what it is, but, after last week in Phoenix, and this week in Monterey, the boys will have plenty of chances to be the show.

I will admit, today's CBS telecast made the Golf Channel's earlier version look fantastic.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Mark Pearce

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2011, 06:40:49 PM »
The best golf being played this weekend, by the best players, is in Dubai.  The Sky coverage of Pebble Beach (I guess CBS's) is so dull as to make me turn it off.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2011, 06:52:50 PM »
There were actual moments on the TGC where the coverage was back and forth golf shots. Like the old Roone Arledge days.

Did anyone see Maury Povich play the 12th?

No, what happened ?

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2011, 07:12:14 PM »
This was never a normal PGA event. Crosby expected his pals to yuk it up and entertain the gallery. Bob Hope, Phil Harris, Dean Martin and Jack Lemon weren't there for their golf ability. Now that there are TV cameras all over the course, there's more mugging for the camera, but I really doubt that the overall tone of the event has changed much since the '40s.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2011, 07:26:14 PM »
I volunteered at the Pro-am for five years.  I did every job imaginable there.  One year I was asked to hold the 3M sign during the 3M Celebrity Shootout where they picked five celebrities and they played 1, 2,3, 17 and 18 with a celeb eliminated each hold.  I had to carry the 3M sign and get it in as many pictures as possible with the celebrities.  I remember walking down the third fairway and listining to Bill Murrey be as funny or funnier in his private conversation with his caddie as he was with the crowd.  He's without a doubt the naturally funniest person I've ever met...

William_G

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2011, 07:31:36 PM »
The best golf being played this weekend, by the best players, is in Dubai.  The Sky coverage of Pebble Beach (I guess CBS's) is so dull as to make me turn it off.

However, the best golf is sometimes boring.
It's all about the golf!

Adam Clayman

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2011, 07:53:10 PM »
Patrick, He played it perfectly, for a person without low marker ability. A fade off the rear of the front right bunker which kicked it right onto the green, at the hole. He missed his birdie putt but played the hole exactly how one should. Again, considering his ability.

Everybody likes to diss this hole saying there's no right way to play it.

I would always tell my loops to play for the apron and if they pushed it a little they'd get the kick from god. And if they didn't push it, they'd have a relatively easy pitch/putt from the apron. Trying to land on this green with a high soft shot isn't easy for a pro. As a matter of fact, I would guess the landing area is smaller than the top left shelf on 14.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back